Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New proposals by the FA on Monday - how do they affect us?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
A player will have to have been registered with his club from the age of 15 - down from 18 - to qualify as 'home-grown'.

The minimum number of home-grown players in a club's first-team squad of 25 will increase from eight to 12, phased over four years from 2016.

At least two home-grown players must also be 'club-trained' players - defined as any player, irrespective of nationality, that has been registered for three years at their club from the age of 15.

Only the best non-EU foreign players will be granted permission to play in England.

Personally I think the first three show the value of our new training centre and TB's foresight.

Not so sure about number four. We have tried to develop players fro Latvia, Iceland and probably other non EU countries. Apparently it's a move designed to ensure only outstanding non EU talent comes in - in other words affordable only to Premier League and a handful of Championship Clubs. The rest will be forced to look again at over priced Football League players or certain other EU countries.

But hey, we're alright Jack with Lancing in place.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not so sure about number four. We have tried to develop players fro Latvia, Iceland and probably other non EU countries. Apparently it's a move designed to ensure only outstanding non EU talent comes in - in other words affordable only to Premier League and a handful of Championship Clubs. The rest will be forced to look again at over priced Football League players or certain other EU countries..

Point of order: Latvia is in the EU :thumbsup:

Dec 29, 2011
Adds a lot of value to our academy and adds importance to the fact our youngsters can't be poached. Prices of homegrown and English players will rise again, making our return for the academy higher.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Greg Dyke really is a cock.

You can't be serious. I think he's got the future of English football at heart, and although I'd rather see more investment in the youth schemes and the pitches at a local level, you've got to get real and realise that that part is years off, if not a decade. English football is pretty rotten at the moment but I don't think it's terminal. Harry Kane is being used as the shining light for "look what happens when you play an Englishman" and Greg Dyke is happily jumping on that bandwagon and hoping the momentum will be enough to convince other clubs to take a chance. Ryan Mason is another good Spurs example.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
About time too. Well done Greg Dyke. Far far too many foreigners playing football in this country.

They keep talking about no English teams left in the Champions League. Well, they're not ENGLISH teams. They're teams based in England populated by players from around the globe with maybe one or two English players at best.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You can't be serious. I think he's got the future of English football at heart, and although I'd rather see more investment in the youth schemes and the pitches at a local level, you've got to get real and realise that that part is years off, if not a decade. English football is pretty rotten at the moment but I don't think it's terminal. Harry Kane is being used as the shining light for "look what happens when you play an Englishman" and Greg Dyke is happily jumping on that bandwagon and hoping the momentum will be enough to convince other clubs to take a chance. Ryan Mason is another good Spurs example.

That's utter tripe. Investment is not decades off. Invest now. There's no reason not to do that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All that will happen is that more South American players will get Spanish or other EU passports to bypass the regulation.

Pointless move as all it does is lower the standard, to ensure that more pass. On the basis that many young English players just take the easy option and accept the high wages without pushing forward with their development, the overall standard of the PL will drop.

There will also be a knock on effect for clubs lower down the leagues. Would we have acquired Ince or Bridcutt from Chelsea if this proposed new rule had been in place.

Dyke mentions the poor showing of English clubs in Champions League as an example, but all this will do is hinder English clubs further just as the inflexible fixture requirements do.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That's utter tripe. Investment is not decades off. Invest now. There's no reason not to do that.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do things differently, but they'll try and patch up what's visible and get to the cause eventually... It's the wrong way around. The investment in the bottom rung should have been ongoing for a long period of time, but it hasn't been and let's be honest - it's easier to change the rules on squad selections and whatnot, but it's much harder to make investment in the grass roots visible and understood by the angry masses.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm not saying I wouldn't do things differently, but they'll try and patch up what's visible and get to the cause eventually... It's the wrong way around. The investment in the bottom rung should have been ongoing for a long period of time, but it hasn't been and let's be honest - it's easier to change the rules on squad selections and whatnot, but it's much harder to make investment in the grass roots visible and understood by the angry masses.

Besides, why should a national team make everything rosy. It's not going to fix everything as far as I am concerned. I have withdrawn my support as the wages are obscene. There are many players earning stupid amounts for doing next to nothing. I'm not supporting that industry.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Besides, why should a national team make everything rosy. It's not going to fix everything as far as I am concerned. I have withdrawn my support as the wages are obscene. There are many players earning stupid amounts for doing next to nothing. I'm not supporting that industry.

I'm not even sure it's about the National team to be honest. Call my cynical (many do!) but I think it's about making it easier for the Premier League to market its product as being the best in the world (TM). They want foreign players in the league to make it easier to sell to countries like Argentina, where the brand hasn't been so strong - but they also want plenty of English players because that gives the league its identity. I think the strongest possible product for them to sell around the world is a Premier League featuring a healthy number of blood and thunder Englishmen with a spattering of players from all over the world.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
The FA should take a couple of hundred million from their pot of riches and use it to build out a large number of decent year-round pitches and some cash to sustain them for the next 4 years. Then do it again in 2017. Then fund on-going maintenance.

All this mucking about with quotas and the like isn't going to fix the problem, because the problem isn't foreign talent stopping domestic talent from having a chance. It's the weather stopping domestic talent from having a chance. The under 8's team my son is in hardly plays from November until February every year, and two months either side of that it's touch-and-go as to if games will be played and training sessions undertaken. With a lot of kids playing other sports in the summer you're looking at our youngsters losing more than half of their structured football time each year to unplayable pitches, and that's before you think about all the ad-hoc kickabouts that don't happen because the local council are (correctly) protecting the pitches for games.

Dec 29, 2011
The FA should take a couple of hundred million from their pot of riches and use it to build out a large number of decent year-round pitches and some cash to sustain them for the next 4 years. Then do it again in 2017. Then fund on-going maintenance.

All this mucking about with quotas and the like isn't going to fix the problem, because the problem isn't foreign talent stopping domestic talent from having a chance. It's the weather stopping domestic talent from having a chance. The under 8's team my son is in hardly plays from November until February every year, and two months either side of that it's touch-and-go as to if games will be played and training sessions undertaken. With a lot of kids playing other sports in the summer you're looking at our youngsters losing more than half of their structured football time each year to unplayable pitches, and that's before you think about all the ad-hoc kickabouts that don't happen because the local council are (correctly) protecting the pitches for games.

What about moving the amatuer or kids football season to Feb - November rather than August - May?

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
What about moving the amatuer or kids football season to Feb - November rather than August - May?

Tennis, cricket, school holidays... yeah it would have the benefit of more playable pitches but I'm not sure it would end up with more time on the field for the kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here