Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris, Consistency & Captains

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
So for most, it seems obvious that Hughton has made a massive difference to the way our team is set up. He's meticulous in his preparation and seems to a) know his players and their strengths and b) know his opposition and be tactically nimble where possible.

However, two things stand out as key differences between Hughton's Albion and Hyypia's:

1) Consistency: playing a settled team, changing little things here or there but creating a team that knows each other and their jobs is vital to a functional unit;

2) Captains: Under Hyypia, Greer was injured, Calderon didn't play unless Bruno was injured or suspended, Stockdale was very much in and out of form and our team lacked on field leadership. Now, Stockdale, Greer, Calderon and especially Kayal have given a spine of leadership throughout the team. They take responsibility and it makes a huge difference to the teams confidence.

Whether Hyypia was unlucky or Hughton is just better is not necessarily for me to say but these two aspects have been key to our turnaround. This pleases me. That is all.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Early days on hewton but good solid start. hyypia was a joke

Edit, he does seem to be tactically very astute

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
He also stands up throughout the entire game. Not even a ball straight into the face floored him.
Hyypia sat in the dugout with arms crossed is the lasting image for me. No fight, no clue - Houghton on the other hand is a born leader. I get the impression he is hard but fair and the players are obviously responding to this. Once we get over the line this season it is going to be great to have a settled close season. I am loving his press conferences - his insight and intelligence is just first class. The right man at the right time.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After Forest I imagine the first words Hughton said to Jones and esp Calderwood:-

'That's not happening again'.

From that base he's been tactical astute and flexible.
I'm already looking forward to next season.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
After Forest I imagine the first words Hughton said to Jones and esp Calderwood:-

'That's not happening again'.

From that base he's been tactical astute and flexible.
I'm already looking forward to next season.

And me, I just hope he stays

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He also stands up throughout the entire game. Not even a ball straight into the face floored him.
Hyypia sat in the dugout with arms crossed is the lasting image for me. No fight, no clue - Houghton on the other hand is a born leader. I get the impression he is hard but fair and the players are obviously responding to this. Once we get over the line this season it is going to be great to have a settled close season. I am loving his press conferences - his insight and intelligence is just first class. The right man at the right time.

Spot on

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
The thing that has impressed me so far is that he knows that our squad is not the strongest, so he is having to try and not only combat how the opposition play and find out what their weaknesses are, but also communicate effectively to the players on how to expose those weaknesses.

With previous Managers in the Amex era we have had a tendency to stick to plan A and let the opposition worry about us, that's fine if we have a top 6 quality side but we don't have that and CH knows that.

Who knows whether after what I think will be an exciting summer transfer window and a full pre-season, whether we'll have a main way of playing and get back to letting the opposition worry about us or he continues to tinker based on the opposition. At the moment I'm enjoying his tactical awareness and it's certainly paying dividends.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thank you [MENTION=16359]JBizzle[/MENTION] for starting this thread which, thus far, has a number of intelligent comments.
I'm quite surprised by the lack of clear support for Hughton on here. Everything he says is intelligent, clear, and makes ultimate sense. His selections also are entirely understandable, whereas his substitutions are better than that. He's shown that he has a better understanding of how the game his going, what his options on the bench are, and where we are in terms of the way the match is going.
I, too, am looking forward to next season. Even more than that, I'm looking forward to the summer transfer window, to see who we release, who comes in, and when this happens. Until two weeks ago, I was firmly of the view that we'd gone through four poor transfer windows. I/we now know that it's only three. Kayal is in our squad. This is Hughton's input, and all I can say is hurrah.
In terms of the summer, I've now entirely revised my view on CMS, who I'd rather now stays, provided he's willing to accept it will be on substantially reduced wages, and that he'll be used selectively, although if he can prove himself, he'll get more game time. Calde will also re-sign, but that needs to be secured imminently. It might even be worth re-signing Casper.
What we need is quality, as with Kayal. I'd much rather have that, and have a smaller squad (relying on the DS or emergency loans) than the scatter-gun, last-minute approach of Burke's last window.
Onwards and upwards.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
[QUOTE. I'd much rather have that, and have a smaller squad (relying on the DS or emergency loans) than the scatter-gun, last-minute approach of Burke's last window.
Onwards and upwards.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, smaller squad with money invested in quality. And few last minute recruits. I just feel we will be rebuilding again next year but yes, looking forward to it. I am pro Hewton btw, just saying its early days

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Even the thought of Hyypia I find depressing, it's like some nightmare and you ask yourself "Did that really happen?" Hughton is a 'great leap forward.'

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Kayal looks by the way he acts like next season's captain; talking to the bench for instruction, a big talker on the pitch, taking responsibility for kicks, tough tackling and getting in the face of the opposition, not to mention the sheer enjoyment in his face at the end of the game yesterday and waving to every stand. At this rate I might be over Ashley at last.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
All i can say is, the last 2 home games have got me my footy mojo back.
thank you chris hughton....:albion2:

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
Agree totally with the OP. Listening to him on the way to the match on Tuesday on radio Sussex, my brother and I agreed he seems to be one of the most articulate and measured managers around.

And we both renewed our season tickets before the match as well. That's not because of CH, but it certainly seems more likely to be interesting times ahead.

The football is different under CH as well, and he certainly seems able to bring the best out of people, and use the players he has intelligently.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The thing that has impressed me so far is that he knows that our squad is not the strongest, so he is having to try and not only combat how the opposition play and find out what their weaknesses are, but also communicate effectively to the players on how to expose those weaknesses.

With previous Managers in the Amex era we have had a tendency to stick to plan A and let the opposition worry about us, that's fine if we have a top 6 quality side but we don't have that and CH knows that.

Who knows whether after what I think will be an exciting summer transfer window and a full pre-season, whether we'll have a main way of playing and get back to letting the opposition worry about us or he continues to tinker based on the opposition. At the moment I'm enjoying his tactical awareness and it's certainly paying dividends.

Spot on.

The man certainly appears to know what he's doing so far, and his previous experience in this division suggests it's not just a lucky honeymoon period either. Like others, I'm particularly looking forward to seeing what he can do once he's been able to build his own squad of players.

Stumpy Tim

Thank you [MENTION=16359]JBizzle[/MENTION] for starting this thread which, thus far, has a number of intelligent comments.
I'm quite surprised by the lack of clear support for Hughton on here. Everything he says is intelligent, clear, and makes ultimate sense. His selections also are entirely understandable, whereas his substitutions are better than that. He's shown that he has a better understanding of how the game his going, what his options on the bench are, and where we are in terms of the way the match is going.
I, too, am looking forward to next season. Even more than that, I'm looking forward to the summer transfer window, to see who we release, who comes in, and when this happens. Until two weeks ago, I was firmly of the view that we'd gone through four poor transfer windows. I/we now know that it's only three. Kayal is in our squad. This is Hughton's input, and all I can say is hurrah.
In terms of the summer, I've now entirely revised my view on CMS, who I'd rather now stays, provided he's willing to accept it will be on substantially reduced wages, and that he'll be used selectively, although if he can prove himself, he'll get more game time. Calde will also re-sign, but that needs to be secured imminently. It might even be worth re-signing Casper.
What we need is quality, as with Kayal. I'd much rather have that, and have a smaller squad (relying on the DS or emergency loans) than the scatter-gun, last-minute approach of Burke's last window.
Onwards and upwards.

I echo much of what you say, though I think Hughton has everyone's clear support - not sure where you get the impression people aren't. As an aside, Casper has told a few people he's moving back to Denmark in the summer. Not earth-shattering news, but I would be stunned if he changed his mind on that.

I love the way Hughton has got us organised, and actually looking a threat (at home). The biggest change is in the middle of the park where the nightmare of Gardner & JFC playing defensive midfield/full-backs has been replaced with Ince, Kayal & Tex given licence to roam. It's chalk & cheese. As you say, even CMS has started looking half-decent under Hughton and I never thought I would say that.

All in all, Hughton has done a tremendous job.Top of the shopping list is a big, mobile striker. If he had an Ulloa playing for us he would take us up in my opinion

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The consistency of selection is an important point. Though we have seen tinkering up front with CMS, Bent and COG all leading the line at different times this has either been enforced by injury or adaptation to opposition (see Leeds at home). Keepiing Calde at right midfield has been an interesting one. I assumed he was just keeping the place warm for Stephens but it's a constant and one that has worked, just about. At times we lack width and pace down the right but at others our passing down that side is outstanding and, of course, St Calde has chipped in with vital goals.

There is a better shape, structure and belief under Hughton. As the OP mentions we have some real leaders on the pitch now with Stockers stepping up and Kayal looking like next season's skipper. I too am renewing along with my son and three others - we would have if we'd have gone down mind you - but we are doing so with a new belief.

Another thing the OP has right is the way Hughton goes about things. It's fantastic having a measured, intelligent, passionate man at the helm.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Chris, Consistency & Captains

Think we're lucky to have him. Seems to have more control over the playing side of things than Sami (probably insisted on it before signing) which is positive. Like the way he is adapting what we have to counter the opposition and love his articulate, open and honest after-match views. Signing Kayal looks like the bargain of the century - definitely a future captain, and is already acting like one on the pitch - fairly and squarely in the 'midfield general' role. Shame we wasted 2/3 of a season persisting with Sami, but looking forward to the rest of this and mid-table safety and a calm, orderly and positive summer of shopping, with CH calling all the shots.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
One of CH`s best moves is to give JFC a well earned rest. Nothing against JFC, his time will come, but he was a square peg in a round hole for most of the season. The results and form since JFC has been omitted have shown that it wasnt just an NSC personal vendetta against him and that we could all see he was struggling week in week out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here