Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration rises to 298,000

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Net migration to the UK has risen to 298,000, according to the final set of quarterly figures before the general election.

The figure, for the year ending September 2014, is now well above the level of migration when David Cameron came to power in 2010.

The Conservatives had hoped to get it to below 100,000 by this May.

Net migration peaked at 320,000 in the year to June 2005. At the time of the 2010 election it was 252,000.

The Conservatives have previously blamed a rise in migration from within the EU for missing their target.

But experts at Oxford University's Migration Observatory said net migration from outside the EU has never been less than 100,000 at any time over the course of this parliament, meaning the target would have been missed with or without any rise in EU migration.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Net migration to the UK has risen to 298,000, according to the final set of quarterly figures before the general election.

The figure, for the year ending September 2014, is now well above the level of migration when David Cameron came to power in 2010.

The Conservatives had hoped to get it to below 100,000 by this May.

Net migration peaked at 320,000 in the year to June 2005. At the time of the 2010 election it was 252,000.

The Conservatives have previously blamed a rise in migration from within the EU for missing their target.

But experts at Oxford University's Migration Observatory said net migration from outside the EU has never been less than 100,000 at any time over the course of this parliament, meaning the target would have been missed with or without any rise in EU migration.

Well, we must do with Dave asked us to do 5 years ago then, and vote them out.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
It just goes to show.......... something.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Who going to pick the fruit and veg and wash the cars oh and the Doctors and nurses and care assistants.
I think if Europe was not in recession we would not have had as many educated Europeans. But I think we should have a points system for outside Europe. On the other hand we need to help other country's to develope so we don't have floods of refugees trying for a better life. Just putting the barb wire up is not the solution.

Diablo

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Jesus thats one million every three years...Does any one support this?....Could we just shut the door ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I am sure that my mate CallMeDave being an honourable man will stand by his promise in 2010 and use his next tv broadcast to instruct the electorate to vote him and his government out of office. After all honour is honour and a promise is a promise :thumbsup:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Who going to pick the fruit and veg and wash the cars oh and the Doctors and nurses and care assistants.
I think if Europe was not in recession we would not have had as many educated Europeans. But I think we should have a points system for outside Europe. On the other hand we need to help other country's to develope so we don't have floods of refugees trying for a better life. Just putting the barb wire up is not the solution.

I was thinking the people that used to do it before immigration, never saw a closed sign on any of those Industries, all were functioning quite well as I recall .......

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is impossible for a leader to "promise" a figure on net migration because there is free movement of labour in the EU. Even if Cameron DID have the tightest controls the EU would permit if other European economies collapsed then there would be little he could do to stem the flow of people in, rendering a target meaningless. Anyone who knows about the EU will realise this.

All he can do is man border control points adequately, budget adequately for border control data collection so we know who's coming in / going out, and reform the benefits system so that those immigrants seeking purely to live off our state are unable to do so.

The evidence suggests that we need economic migrants and that those coming here to work hard and get on in life are making a net contribution to the well-being of our society.

With the General Election fast approaching I hope the leaders this time will differentiate between aims/aspirations and unrealistic promises. They're all guilty of committing to policies they have no hope of deliver, yet still get suckered into it, resulting in short-term gain, long-term pain.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Another Cameron promise in tatters, still only a few more weeks and this discredited shambles of a government will be history

Has Harty told you who you should throw your considerable weight behind yet ?

D

Deleted member 22389

It is impossible for a leader to "promise" a figure on net migration because there is free movement of labour in the EU. Even if Cameron DID have the tightest controls the EU would permit if other European economies collapsed then there would be little he could do to stem the flow of people in, rendering a target meaningless. Anyone who knows about the EU will realise this.

All he can do is man border control points adequately, budget adequately for border control data collection so we know who's coming in / going out, and reform the benefits system so that those immigrants seeking purely to live off our state are unable to do so.

The evidence suggests that we need economic migrants and that those coming here to work hard and get on in life are making a net contribution to the well-being of our society.

With the General Election fast approaching I hope the leaders this time will differentiate between aims/aspirations and unrealistic promises. They're all guilty of committing to policies they have no hope of deliver, yet still get suckered into it, resulting in short-term gain, long-term pain.

This is the part I don't get, on what evidence? What exactly is the country getting out of increased numbers of migrants year on year. I wish someone would break this down for me, try to change my mind because at the moment I just don't buy any of it. I did here it helps to pay for the ageing population, I presume pensions? fine, but then we are just creating an even bigger ageing population after that.

I am still also under the impression that our government spends a lot more, than what it gets back in when you consider how little tax is paid because the wages are so crap, and I just don't see our infrastructure will hold up to the numbers in the future. 250,000+ a year is a hell a lot of people.

And why can we not put up the barb wire? Plus wash your own car,pay the farmers proper prices for produce and stop treating all the fat drugged up scum in the hospitals! sorted!:thumbsup:

If supermarkets paid farmers decent prices for goods, we would not need so many grafters from eastern Europe. If the government could be bothered to fund decent nursing colleges we would not need as many cheaper foreign nurses to treat even more foreign patients. If government paid money to train the benefit scroungers a decent wage to fill the vacant jobs we would not need as many foreign workers. The migrant workers are here for one reason, and that is cheaper labour. In my game, the construction industry, there are plenty of young British trainee guys wanting work but are being overlooked in the name of saving a few quid. The migrants are given free lodgings if they say they are "training" and given grants to buy shiny new tools. Our boys just can't compete!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Its very easy to just say 'close the doors', but there are significant issues with that in maintaining economic growth.

For 1, construction prices in this country are rising at an alarming rate, partly attributed to a shortage of skilled labour throughout the construction industry. If we didn't have an influx of migrant labour, our construction industry would be at a standstill.

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/companies/interviews/we-need-migrant-labour-osborne-chief-executive/8675275.article#.VO9NJkJea0Y

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here