Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray article in Argus today

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We saw on Boxing Day that Murray is very definitely still a decent Championship striker, and in the first half of the season none of our strikers could score other than Bent, and now he's gone.

My feeling is let's just let bygones be bygones and re-sign Murray. The only spanner in the works is whether Pardew will be keen to do this deal - there is not much upside but a potentially big downside if one of his first bits of business is to help the Albion by getting rid of a popular striker when Palace themselves aren't scoring. Hopefully, Pardew will have already lined up another striker to take his place in the squad.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The only spanner in the works is whether Pardew will be keen to do this deal - there is not much upside but a potentially big downside if one of his first bits of business is to help the Albion by getting rid of a popular striker when Palace themselves aren't scoring.

Maybe he's planning ahead for next season in the Championship ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We saw on Boxing Day that Murray is very definitely still a decent Championship striker, and in the first half of the season none of our strikers could score other than Bent, and now he's gone.

My feeling is let's just let bygones be bygones and re-sign Murray. The only spanner in the works is whether Pardew will be keen to do this deal - there is not much upside but a potentially big downside if one of his first bits of business is to help the Albion by getting rid of a popular striker when Palace themselves aren't scoring. Hopefully, Pardew will have already lined up another striker to take his place in the squad.
That's why I can't see this happening. And for the same reason, I reckon Sheff Utd can kiss goodbye to any chance of signing COG imminently.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

No question he WAS good and maybe still IS good but of he's THAT good shirley Palarse would want to keep him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No question he WAS good and maybe still IS good but of he's THAT good shirley Palarse would want to keep him.

Palace need a striker who can score goals against Prem defences. This is a very different requirement to scoring against Championship defences.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Look at the goals he scored against us on Boxing Day. He'd never have those sort of chances in the Prem.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Surely we can't criticise him for those considerations.... they are entirely accurate. I'm sure he was just preparing us for the worst, it won't be easy at this time of the season to find an available free scoring player at any price.

They are accurate. Which begs the question, given the number of players we have sold, what are we if the best clubs don't release their best players, and neither do struggling ones?

I think you're talking about that statement in relation to who we might bring in, I was referring it back to the numbers of players we have sold and what does that say about us? Burnley could just come in last season and pick up one of our best players for £800k in the middle of going for the play offs!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Murray and Barnes forged a very decent partnership. Who knows how far that partnership could have taken us?

It wasn't just decent, it was turning into something special. I thought our first season at the Amex was going to be built around those 2 I really did. Took me a long time to get over the breaking of that as I was never that bowled over by CMS, and that view hasn't changed for the last 4 years.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I don't trust you, it was VERY clear that Poyet was never a big fan of Murrays and that CMS was the way forward. I heard enough post match interviews with Poyet to glean this information thanks, he is very easy to read if you hadn't noticed.

You don't need to trust me.

But you're wrong.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well someone is lying. We've had people vehemently stating that Poyet WANTED Murray but his hands were tied, and also people vehemently stating that the board/Blooms WANTED Murray but Poyet wanted rid.

Who's right? I find it hard to believe Gus would rather CMS over Murray, considering the style of play Gus likes to play.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Well someone is lying. We've had people vehemently stating that Poyet WANTED Murray but his hands were tied, and also people vehemently stating that the board/Blooms WANTED Murray but Poyet wanted rid.

Who's right? I find it hard to believe Gus would rather CMS over Murray, considering the style of play Gus likes to play.

Well, Murray REJECTED our final offer of a contract.

Let's break this down for people.

What does a manager tell the board? Who he wants a new contract offered to (ie...he wants to KEEP HIM).

Who offers actual contract and negotiates the wage? The money men. (chief exec/chairman/director of football).

So, a player is OFFERED a contract but REJECTS it (over money)?

To me, that in simple terms is this. Manager wants player to stay, player gets better deal elsewhere (we all know Palace offered a better wage).

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
After seeing Murray on Boxing Day, I'd have him back tomorrow. We need a centre forward that can impose himself like he did against us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Have you forgotten "build a team around CMS" comment from Gus or did I imagine that?

Can you see Gus just accepting that he had lost a striker that he wanted without saying a word? Does that sound like the Gus you knew? The fact that he made such a big personal effort to get CMS, without once saying how much he'd like Murray to stay would make me lean towards him not being too fussed. Maybe someone could dig out a quote where Poyet did actually say he'd like Murray to stay?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have you forgotten "build a team around CMS" comment from Gus or did I imagine that?

Can you see Gus just accepting that he had lost a striker that he wanted without saying a word? Does that sound like the Gus you knew? The fact that he made such a big personal effort to get CMS, without once saying how much he'd like Murray to stay would make me lean towards him not being too fussed. Maybe someone could dig out a quote where Poyet did actually say he'd like Murray to stay?

He made an effort to get CMS, because Murray had signed for Palace fairly quickly, in May. That ship had sailed, so he had to make sure that he had a striker in.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If it was about money, where did we suddenly find the funds for CMS's transfer fee and salary, and the rest of our signings that summer?

It was a judgement call. Someone didn't value Murray enough to offer him a larger contract. Murray got offered more elsewhere because other clubs and scouts could see his potential in the Championship. We didn't.

Have no idea if that was Gus, or TB, or whoever. But it wasn't for a lack of funds given who we bought in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it was about money, where did we suddenly find the funds for CMS's transfer fee and salary, and the rest of our signings that summer?

It was a judgement call. Someone didn't value Murray enough to offer him a larger contract. Murray got offered more elsewhere because other clubs and scouts could see his potential in the Championship. We didn't.

Have no idea if that was Gus, or TB, or whoever. But it wasn't for a lack of funds given who we bought in.

Poyet himself explained that there were two separate pots of money. One for transfers and one for wages. He got it changed because it hampered recruitment. I didn't read anywhere that the board had contradicted him or said that this wasn't correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here