Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Consumer and legal advice needed.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
OK I will be brief and to the point. Bit before christmas I went into a mobile shop to renew a mobile broadband contract ive had for a few years 15gb. The member of staff said they dont do it any more but do one for 50% more, price wise, but it comes with a free phone for a year. Now was in a hurry and can be lead a bit at the time but said ok. I ended up signing 2 contracts, one for the 15gb broadband that i originally wanted and one for £7 a month phone with various gubbins on it. Now I began thinking something a bit dodgy going on here when I left and haven't had a chance to go back to the store till tomorrow(Its in Palace country).

Theres a few other things "wrong" that raise my suspicions but not directly relevant to the main point, what I want to know before going back and raising hell is , is this fraud? Bait and switch? Or miss selling? Do I go to the police or trading standards?

Oh and Merry Christmas.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would try Citizens Advice Bureau first, it is not a police issue if anything it may be a trading standards issue however you did sign a contract albeit was there a cooling off period ?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Thought you get a 14 day cooling off period for credit agreements, which is effectively what this is. Probably will depend on whether you've used the devices though.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Thought you get a 14 day cooling off period for credit agreements, which is effectively what this is. Probably will depend on whether you've used the devices though.

i haven't touched them. Ive been digging and the 14 day thing seems to apply to home sales not going in there shops but if its a credit agreement then I dont know. The contract is not due to start till mid febuary.

I said I would pay by debit card and not DD but there is a DD payment bit on the contract. The more I look the dodgier it all seems.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I would try Citizens Advice Bureau first, it is not a police issue if anything it may be a trading standards issue however you did sign a contract albeit was there a cooling off period ?

Bait and switch is fraud that carries up to 2 year jail term.

I think you'd be better advised just to negotiate your way out of whatever agreement the retailer thinks you have committed yourself to. Attempting to take any legal action against them will only encourage them to dig their heels in. No-one in their right mind takes on a fight like that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bait and switch is fraud that carries up to 2 year jail term.

Hardly a fraud as it was presumably sold to you in a shop and you did sign a contract ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just googled it and it came up on a BBC News page the cooling off period only applies to distant selling not from a shop. That has no period whatsoever you sign you keep it unless it is faulty.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I think you'd be better advised just to negotiate your way out of whatever agreement the retailer thinks you have committed yourself to. Attempting to take any legal action against them will only encourage them to dig their heels in. No-one in their right mind takes on a fight like that.

I was thinking bludgeon rather than negotiate but I get your drift.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't understand what the problem is.

Is the total £22 per month 50% more than your current contract? If so isn't that what you agreed to?

There will be two contracts - one for the phone and one for the airtime/data. Just because they are separate contracts does't mean that you can get one without the other.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Hardly a fraud as it was presumably sold to you in a shop and you did sign a contract ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

"Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also employed in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher priced items ("switching").

.....In England and Wales, bait and switch is banned under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.[1] Breaking this law can result in a criminal prosecution, an unlimited fine and two years in jail. In Canada, this tactic is illegal under the Competition Act."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you havent said anything thats "wrong". you've a mobile tariff and a mobile phone effectivly on HP. unless you're saying the 15GB tariff is too expensive, whats the issue?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I don't understand what the problem is.

Is the total £22 per month 50% more than your current contract? If so isn't that what you agreed to?

There will be two contracts - one for the phone and one for the airtime/data. Just because they are separate contracts does't mean that you can get one without the other.

I agree with what you say and thought it may be a case of bundling except I have seen similar separate but not any type of bundles offered. I dont even know if the sim will work in my phone because I haven't opened it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Although the cooling off period does not apply in store, I returned an unused phone to Vodafone and they cancelled the contract without any issue. Who is the contract with? Any major provider would not want to be seen to be acting as the bad guy as long as you have not used or abused any contract or equipment provided by them.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
you havent said anything thats "wrong". you've a mobile tariff and a mobile phone effectivly on HP. unless you're saying the 15GB tariff is too expensive, whats the issue?

The 15gb was for my dongle on my laptop. My phone is PAYG with another company. So renewing the contract came at a cost of an added mobile phone contract and sim. Was not given the option of just one, said they could't do it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd try going above the shop to a level above, lots of mobile phone shops are run as franchises and some are more mercenary than others depending on the owners. This leads on to staff who are under pressure to "oversell " in order to get a small bonus.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Although the cooling off period does not apply in store, I returned an unused phone to Vodafone and they cancelled the contract without any issue. Who is the contract with? Any major provider would not want to be seen to be acting as the bad guy as long as you have not used or abused any contract or equipment provided by them.

The contract is with 3.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The 15gb was for my dongle on my laptop. My phone is PAYG with another company. So renewing the contract came at a cost of an added mobile phone contract and sim. Was not given the option of just one, said they could't do it.

Why didnt you just buy a PAYG dongle on either Vodaphone O2 or 3. About £25 to include £10 voucher so £15.

I did similar when granddaughter was in Southampton hospital but next day moved her to Marsden and couldnt use it so returned it to 3 at Churchill Sq who gave me my money back and cancelled the contract as the one I got was not PAYG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here