Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stricter Drink Driving Limits for Scotland - Should Eng, Wales & NI follow suit?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30329743

Booze.PNG

This means that you'd really need to abstain from any booze to avoid going over the limit. Is it a step too far, or a sensible move?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
BBC News just said one pint / glass of wine for men, half a pint / small glass of wine for women... that is about what I would have stuck to in England anyway... seems sensible to me.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
BBC News just said one pint / glass of wine for men, half a pint / small glass of wine for women... that is about what I would have stuck to in England anyway... seems sensible to me.

Yep, but that would very much depend on a number of variables - 1 pint would put you on the limit, so best to abstain.

I wonder how many people (especially those like myself you commute to London early each morning) are over the limit from the night before?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Also from the BBC - "Experts have said the new 50mg limit, which came into force at midnight, means that an average man would be limited to just under a pint of beer or a large glass of wine, and women to half a pint of beer or a small glass of wine". Step too far for me; I never drink more than one pint if I'm driving, and wouldn't even have that if setting out on a longer journey, but limiting it to even less?............sorry. I wouldn't vote for it.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'd be happy to stick to it. If I go out and I am the driver then I may have one pint at the start of the evening or with food. If it's only a short stay at the pub then I'll not bother. So, if it turned out that you pretty much can't drink then it's all fine by me.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Yes any reduction is better. I think it's so confusing for people to judge if they'd be over the limit or not, so would be a lot easier to have a zero limit. Not sure but I'd guess a fair few get caught the morning after a session.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Keep it as it is

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There is no excuse for drinking and driving and I firmly believe that anyone driving should abstain from drinking any alcohol. Definitely not a step too far.

Does one need an excuse? Having a pint of harveys, for example, with a large meal isn't going to affect your driving as much as how much sleep you had the night before, who's in the car with you, or even how uncomfortably full you are after the meal. You also need to have a buffer. Surely the priority needs to be dealing with the (many) people who get absolutely bladdered and drive.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes any reduction is better. I think it's so confusing for people to judge if they'd be over the limit or not, so would be a lot easier to have a zero limit. Not sure but I'd guess a fair few get caught the morning after a session.
No, it would be ridiculously, unfathomably and indescribably more difficult. People have natural alcohol in their guts due to the digestion process, also small amounts of alcohol in the bloody from desserts, medication, mouth wash and even aftershave. You could also have traces left in your blood two days after an evening at the pub.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No reason why not, although I'd be in favour of a zero limit.

Zero wouldn't work because of mouth wash etc that contain alcohol.
Hope that we follow the scots though and then enforce if with proper punishment when people are caught.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hope that we follow the scots though and then enforce if with proper punishment when people are caught.

Also, I believe there are biological processes that generate alcohol (or a positive on a breath test) - so zero is un-manageable.

(I could be wrong)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

That might register on a roadside breathe test, but would it register on the more sophisticated machine at the police station required to persue a prosecution? I don't know.

Still in favour of falling into line with the Scots on this one anyway. As close to zero as possible has to be the goal for me.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
my only issue with it is the morning after issue. Last night i had half a bottle of wine, finishing the last glass at about 11pm. At what time was i ok to drive?

I'd be all for widely available, effective and cheap self testing kits to make sure that i never risked it.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
my only issue with it is the morning after issue. Last night i had half a bottle of wine, finishing the last glass at about 11pm. At what time was i ok to drive?

I'd be all for widely available, effective and cheap self testing kits to make sure that i never risked it.

You can buy kits for travel to France (its now illegal not to carry them) so they're available.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Exactly this.

If I'm driving, I won't drink. But if I go out a have a load on a Saturday night, at what time the next day can I safely/legally drive?

Safely I would say after 8/9 hours sleep - legally I'm really not sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here