Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UKIP MP number 2 coming up.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don't see what either PC or logic has to do with it.

In my view, anybody who votes UKIP and seriously means it - i.e. not just a protest vote - is seriously uninformed and unthinking.

A little superior, do you not think? Presumably YOU have thought about it and reached a different conclusion, and all others who do not share your view, must therefore be uninformed etc? I have no axe to grind about IKIP, but would seriously think about coming out with such a sweeping statement -where is your evidence for this?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Disagree, the workshy indigenous population is our problem. We have to deal with them the best way we can. Let the majority of foreigners in if they are a net benefit financially. Caveats obviously apply, such as criminal records etc. The foreigners who want to come here who do not benefit the economy quite simply should not be allowed in.

Don't disagree, but it has to be remembered they are the minority.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm not arguing that voters should understand how the economy works (I don't). I'll concede that disliking foreigners isn't the defining characteristic of all UKIP voters (and I never said "hating foreigners"). But I am prepared to hazard a guess that UKIP's core electoral strategy is to target voters who either dislike foreigners or dislike the EU, or both.

or dislike the tories .......................and labour and all the other parties who are there to line their own pockets
EDIT ..........and then get rid of UKIP when the jobs done

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I find it bizarre that people are actual voting for UKIP. They're not 'AN ALTERNATIVE' to mainstream parties. They are, almostg to a man/woman, FAILED TORIES.

I know a bloke who has been trying to get elected to B&H Council for years. He joined the Conservatives and tried to become a candidate for Hangleton - at his interview he was asked if he had ever been to Hangleton, replied "of course I haven't, I don't even know where it is" and unsurprisingly wasn't selected as a candidate. So, in a huff, he then he tried to join the Greens (as he thought they were his best chance of getting elected) but they wouldn't have him, partly as he told them he "couldn't give a stuff about the environment, frankly".

So then he switched to UKIP and lo and behold has been given the nod that he'll be one of their candidates in the next council elections.

These are the sort of people UKIP folk are. People who just want power for power's sake and have gravitated to UKIP after no-one else would have them. And people are actually voting folk like this into power? God help us...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One small problem

Utrecht (indeed pretty much all of The Netherlands) is somewhat flatter than Brighton.

You can get around much of Brighton using the natural valleys, you often just need to go out of your way a bit rather than how the crow flies - for example, Portslade - Falmer is hilly if you go diagonally, but pretty much flat if you go South to the sea front, along then up the Level and Lewes Rd. Yes, there are some steep parts that might be unavoidable, so you might have to walk part of your bike journey - is that really such a problem as to say we shouldn't have aspirations to massively increase the number of journeys by bike - because there are one or 2 hills? Is that really how physically inept we've become? I'm not suggesting we can all tackle bear road on our 3 speed shopper, but Brighton as a city could benefit hugely if more people did journeys by bike by having the infra-structure to do so.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
wherever I lived in Brighton or the surrounding area's I walked back and forth to work (even when I lived in Fishersgate and worked at the bottom of Dyke Road..............and every other Saturday to the Goldstone, also for days out from Mile Oak to Bramber and back ....that was the pain of never having or able to afford a car

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'm not arguing that voters should understand how the economy works (I don't). I'll concede that disliking foreigners isn't the defining characteristic of all UKIP voters (and I never said "hating foreigners"). But I am prepared to hazard a guess that UKIP's core electoral strategy is to target voters who either dislike foreigners or dislike the EU, or both.
You're just typical of the types that just don't get it...Many people who vote ukip want out of the EU and they don't want foreigners in because they're driving down wages for the lower classes and soon it will be the middle classes im sure.You personally are not affected by foreigners flocking in,but millions of people are and enoughs enough.Its not the foreigners that are to blame..Its the snobby current politicians who's wages are never affected and they don't have to live around many towns who have changed in many ways.

The current EU migrants do contribute,but that 30 odd billion is a smoke screen as many will have government top ups and child benefit etc...Maybe this 30 billion should be used towards hospitals,schools,houses etc etc as these public services are bursting and are seriously under funded.That 30 billion is peanuts compared to what's needed infrastructure wise.
It seems another massive issue is the non EU migrants who're costing us billions every year as many of those are getting benefits and rarely work.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But I am prepared to hazard a guess that UKIP's core electoral strategy is to target voters who either dislike foreigners or dislike the EU, or both.

Given that their raison d'être is the UK exit from the EU I think you're on safe ground assuming that their electoral strategy is based around dislike of the EU. I think the clue is in the party's name.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't see what either PC or logic has to do with it.

In my view, anybody who votes UKIP and seriously means it - i.e. not just a protest vote - is seriously uninformed and unthinking.

A little superior, do you not think? Presumably YOU have thought about it and reached a different conclusion, and all others who do not share your view, must therefore be uninformed etc? I have no axe to grind about IKIP, but would seriously think about coming out with such a sweeping statement -where is your evidence for this?

I take your point! It is clear on here that some of the UKIP support is well informed about what they're doing, and their probably soon to be two MP's are not stupid. I just don't agree with them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's rubbish. I can say most labour supporters have left wing preferences and don't know how to run the economy, it's obvious and I don't know most labour supporters!

No, but you appear to know that people with left wing preferences don't know how to run the economy.

Actually, the truth is that most people (quite probably including you, and probably most Tory voters too) don't know how to run the economy either.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Most voters are uninformed, myself included. Most voters don't bother poring through manifestos that spell out in detail each party's stance on every issue. They vote based on one or a few key points or if they feel that a party broadly represents their own values.

If all you and the likes of Lord B have got is this subtle insinuation that UKIP voters are thick and/or racist then you've already lost the war on hearts and minds.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
You're just typical of the types that just don't get it...Many people who vote ukip want out of the EU and they don't want foreigners in because they're driving down wages for the lower classes and soon it will be the middle classes im sure.You personally are not affected by foreigners flocking in,but millions of people are and enoughs enough.Its not the foreigners that are to blame..Its the snobby current politicians who's wages are never affected and they don't have to live around many towns who have changed in many ways.

The current EU migrants do contribute,but that 30 odd billion is a smoke screen as many will have government top ups and child benefit etc...Maybe this 30 billion should be used towards hospitals,schools,houses etc etc as these public services are bursting and are seriously under funded.That 30 billion is peanuts compared to what's needed infrastructure wise.
It seems another massive issue is the non EU migrants who're costing us billions every year as many of those are getting benefits and rarely work.

Kicking out foreigners who are doing low-paid jobs will not automatically translate into well-paid jobs for the indigenous unemployed population; the same low-paid vacancies will still exist, it's just that the unemployed British workers will be forced to do them as a condition of receiving benefits - the welfare state subsidising employers' profits by supplying coerced free labour.

Incidentally, there are about 1.8 million Brits working or retired in Europe; if we withdraw from the EU, they will lose their right to remain in France/Spain/Italy/Germany, and perhaps be kicked out back to the UK. Be careful what you wish for!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Where's the option for:-
4). UKIP representatives make enough public statements (admittedly some of them are rather confused) and it is easy enough to work out who they are trying to attract as voters ?
Better call that 3b) really - it's just another version of 3). - making assumptions that you know why thousands (millions?) of people are deciding to vote for a particular party, and then assuming you're right!

Nice try though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here