Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Blair Philanthropist of the year

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Tony Blair, tipped the balance in my decision to come here.
Self obsessed, egotistical, headline grabbing war criminal.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Did God tell him to start giving away his money?

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Tony Blair, tipped the balance in my decision to come here.
Self obsessed, egotistical, headline grabbing war criminal.

Obviously we don't get a great deal of coverage on Oz politics over here, but every time the Australian PM comments on world affairs he sounds like a true modern statesman. The contrast with Cameron is marked. Internationally I suspect David Cameroon would be more apt for all the impact he has on the world stage.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Obviously we don't get a great deal of coverage on Oz politics over here, but every time the Australian PM comments on world affairs he sounds like a true modern statesman. The contrast with Cameron is marked. Internationally I suspect David Cameroon would be more apt for all the impact he has on the world stage.

You must be joking Tony Abbott is probably the worst Australian PM in a generation

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You should thank your lucky stars for Cameron. Abbot is the most hideous politician I have ever witness. The man makes Maggie Thatcher look like mother Theresa and Wayne Rooney look like professor Cox.

Other than that though he and his government are constantly embarrassing us whilst simultaneously stealing our money and giving Orr it his big mining and media sponsors.

Utter utter scum.

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You must be joking Tony Abbott is probably the worst Australian PM in a generation

No I am not joking, but I am also not necessarily disagreeing with you (I don't know enough about Oz domestic politics to comment). I am specifically talking about foreign policy and international affairs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29057702 - all seems very clear, coherent and appropriate. Maybe the UK does have a Blair legacy and the Cameron government has taken the view that there are no votes to be won, by playing an active role on the International stage. One thing that you do expect from a stereotypical old Etonian, is for them to appear statesmanlike on the International stage, for one reason or another Cameron and his foreign secretaries have failed to make a ripple.

James Dempsey

May 7, 2013
Brighton
In a tribute to Mr Blair on its website, GQ said:

"Alongside his role as a Middle East peace envoy, Blair's channelled his energy into philanthropy, establishing three charities.

"The Tony Blair Sports Foundation pairs volunteer sport coaches with children in Britain's North East and his Faith Foundation aims to reconcile the three Abrahamic faiths, but his most ambitious is the Tony Blair Africa Governance Initiative.

"Launched in 2008, the foundation operates in six African countries... where teams work alongside government bodies to bridge the gap between African leaders' visions for a better future and their government's ability to implement it.

"In Sierra Leone, for example, AGI has helped deliver an entirely free healthcare programme that's cut the number of children in hospital dying from malaria by 80%."

What did you all get up to this year?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
10592876_1473919322861317_6474901666803379106_n.jpg

this sums it up

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why does NO ONE actually seem to be talking about what Tony Blair has done THIS year? As that's all that actually matters. I think people have gotten a bit confused as to what this award is for.

It's like saying Messi can't win footballer of the year because he was shit at football when he was 1 year old.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
No I am not joking, but I am also not necessarily disagreeing with you (I don't know enough about Oz domestic politics to comment). I am specifically talking about foreign policy and international affairs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29057702 - all seems very clear, coherent and appropriate. Maybe the UK does have a Blair legacy and the Cameron government has taken the view that there are no votes to be won, by playing an active role on the International stage. One thing that you do expect from a stereotypical old Etonian, is for them to appear statesmanlike on the International stage, for one reason or another Cameron and his foreign secretaries have failed to make a ripple.

To be fair though Abbot doesn't have to send forces to another country to kill loads of innocent foreigners, he can do that at home

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
How many skimmed down the thread headers and read this as 'Tony Bloom'? I did and my first thought was 'probably a bit Brighton-centric but he's certainly spent a lot of his own cash on a new stadium and an academy'. I think he would have been a better choice too.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

When I arrived here John Howard was in charge and he was firm but fair.
To be honest, Tony Abbott is a clown, must be something in politicians gene pool.
Why is it that normal people don't try for these jobs, we know the usual suspects are crap, yet we still vote them in.
Think I'll start the, 'Man on the Street' Party, 'Vote for me, you know it makes sense'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here