Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weekend in Berlin

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Hi All,

Don't normally ask stuff like this, but the missus is hopefully taking me to Berlin for my 40th in 3 months - and as most on NSC seem to be a well travelled bunch can anyone recommend places to go, things to see while we are there?! Its a city I don't know much about tbh, bar what's in the history books....any advice or suggestions welcome! cheers.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hi All,

Don't normally ask stuff like this, but the missus is hopefully taking me to Berlin for my 40th in 3 months - and as most on NSC seem to be a well travelled bunch can anyone recommend places to go, things to see while we are there?! Its a city I don't know much about tbh, bar what's in the history books....any advice or suggestions welcome! cheers.

[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] is your man as he lives there.

In the meantime...you HAVE to do the Trabi Safari - a convoy of Trabants driving through the city (you do the driving). Great fun, and you get to see loads.

We also went on a guided cycle tour along where the wall used to be - also brilliant, and a great way to see a lot of history through the eyes of a guide who lived it.

Book in advance to visit the Reichstag - Norman Foster designed the dome on top, and it is fantastic. If you don't pre-book (and take your passport) you won't get in.

The Tiergarten is a lovely park. The Holocaust Memorial is quite haunting.

Visit the Olympic Stadium, where Hertha Berlin play now. The history of the place is legendary, and they present it very well.

Berlin is a wonderful city, and there is so much to do. But as I say, HT is your man. He is full of great advice and suggestions for areas, bars, restaurants, museums etc. Enjoy.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
History can't be avoided in Berlin. The Topography of Terror is worth visiting, and it's next to the Luftwaffe hq, which was used as government buildings in the DDR. Worth tracing the line of the Wall, and if you can get hold of one, take an old pre-1989 guide book to get an idea of how the city has changed since the Wall came down. I found the old East Berlin more interesting than the West.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's some good advice given ready and the Trabi Safari is great fun and a unique experience. But if you can give me some specifics e.g. food, drinks, area or sights and also the type of vibe you are after I am happy to make some suggestions. I know a few good restaurants but if you want a romantic meal I will not suggest White Trash Fast Food. But equally if you want a fun meal in a scruffy Berlin institution I will suggest WTFF.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Although I'm not that well travelled, Berlin ranks highest as the most exciting city in Europe.
The place is steeped in history, so there's no end to pick up on there.
Pogue mentioned the Reichstag building, but it's well worth walking around all the embassies, where a host of architects have recently attempted to outdo one another, with impressive results.
Pogue also mentioned the Olympic stadium. It's well worth picking dates when there's a game on.
Berlin is also stunning for art, particularly modern art: go see.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We did a walking tour, which was excellent. Learned so much about the history - of which there is loads - and had fascinating stuff pointed out to us that we wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well worth a visit to the Stasi Museum as well, appears to be run by latent Communists as well.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well worth a visit to the Stasi Museum as well, appears to be run by latent Communists as well.

I have to earn my money somehow.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hi All,

Something to bear in mind is that 'big' shops all close on Sundays. Consequently the shopping areas like Unter Den Linden and Ku'damm are dead as a dodo on the sabbath. Worth considering when booking hotels.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Cheers guys - will certainly look into those things suggested. HT, we are staying at the Radisson Blu near Alexanderplatz - opposite the cathedral. We're flying out 20th Sept for a couple of days to basically see the sights, so wont have a huge amount of time to fit everything in. Any nice restaurants recommended would be welcome though as its a special occasion....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Cheers guys - will certainly look into those things suggested. HT, we are staying at the Radisson Blu near Alexanderplatz - opposite the cathedral. We're flying out 20th Sept for a couple of days to basically see the sights, so wont have a huge amount of time to fit everything in. Any nice restaurants recommended would be welcome though as its a special occasion....

Check out the hotel spa. It'll probably be naked.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Berlin is a top city. One of my favourites. When heading to a new destination one should endeavour to find the highest point and have a good look around. In the case of Berlin, head up the TV tower, built by the East to try and prove something to The West. It offers a mesmerising 360 degree view of Berlin. From up there one can clearly see the difference between the old, Brutalist architecture of the East compared to relative luxury of the West. You can literally follow the line of where the wall stood.

Also visit the Berlin Wall Museum. sobering but essential.

If you like meatballs and friendly folk, check out the Polish quarter.

Enjoy!!

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I know the hotel well, in fact I run past it most mornings. Good central location. I will have a think about food options. You are very close to Hackersher Markt but this is tourist central; bit like going to Leicester Square. There are plenty of more interesting neighbourhoods and areas to visit for eats and drinks.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here