Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to take a gamble getting to the prem??

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
I personally think we are 2 wingers away from being right up there. Lets say we spend 2 mill on 2 wingers and it doesn't work out we just cash in on 1 of are many assists . Must be a risk worth taking .

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Are we likely to get even one promotion-winning winger for £1million? I doubt it.
I imagine that Conway will come back. Can't see us strengthening besides that. Only replacing any we may lose.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
A couple of Barcelona B players should do it .........

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If we don't go up bridcutt is gone, so why not spend the money now!!!

It doesn't work quite like that in the sense that Bridcutt's money under FFP would go towards next season's budget and we might not adhere to FFP then for this season. However, I think there is an argument for selling Bridcutt (obviously if the right offer comes in) and strengthening other areas as well as replacing him with the money we get. This might make the squad stronger all round. We'll have to see if the right offer comes in though.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Not so sure about wingers. A 4-3-3 formation with players cutting in to support Ulloa might do it. We need to spread the goals around more, especially at home where nearly all of the chances seem to fall to the lone striker. That's a lot of pressure on Leo and Ashley needs a lot of chances to score one.

Defence and midfield fine. One more forward (if CMS's return is further delayed) needed. Lua Lua as an impact sub.

That would look like a nailed on top-six side to me.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Always live within your means. Buying players that play well elsewhere doesn't mean that they will necessarily fit in here

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I expect Liam to leave for a very high price. I expect us to spend the money received on strengthening, including Conway and a striker to play off of Ulloa.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It doesn't work quite like that in the sense that Bridcutt's money under FFP would go towards next season's budget and we might not adhere to FFP then for this season. However, I think there is an argument for selling Bridcutt (obviously if the right offer comes in) and strengthening other areas as well as replacing him with the money we get. This might make the squad stronger all round. We'll have to see if the right offer comes in though.

If income from selling a player goes into next year's balance sheet then by logical extension so does expenditure?
Neither of which makes any sense......

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I don't think we should gamble but if we were to find some cash I'd be after one of those players that many successful promotion teams have - one that can dictate the midfield and control the game going forward. I still think we're missing this key player.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You have to question the intelligence of some! Let's gamble to get promoted. Well first of all, whose money are you actually gambling because I doubt that it isn't yours? Secondly, we gambled before and it all went tits up. Bamber gambled and put players on lengthy contracts but we got relegated. We didn't live within our means then and ended up with Archer!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You have to question the intelligence of some! Let's gamble to get promoted. Well first of all, whose money are you actually gambling because I doubt that it isn't yours? Secondly, we gambled before and it all went tits up. Bamber gambled and put players on lengthy contracts but we got relegated. We didn't live within our means then and ended up with Archer!

There is a middle ground. And you can't run a club on the basis that an 'Archer' is just around the corner.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
No. There is zero chance of us gambling large sums of money the club doesn't have in order to reach the premiership. This much should be obvious.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We need a central defender

Our defence is so poor that this is an immediate priority ???

There is a middle ground. And you can't run a club on the basis that an 'Archer' is just around the corner.
But you can learn lessons from history.
We were one game from going out of the league...now look at the likes of Portsmouth; Sheffield Utd; Wolves.. .....

sometimes a long memory pays.......

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Barcelona B who are in the relegation zone of a weak Spanish second division?

It does make me laugh when people post about getting some Barcelona B players in, they don't do fantastically in a league that's considerably less competetive then our own, okay they will have a few very tidy players but generally they are the B team in the Spanish second Division for a reason.

And as for the OP I think we did good business generally over the Summer, I wouldn't expect much to be done from us in January, although I can see Bridcutt being sold and Conway + AN Other coming in. If Bridcutt isn't sold then just Conway. if we don't get gazumped by someone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here