Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When can we start the new Sherlock thread?

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After a nothingy Christmas, I'm very much looking forward to this TV event being back on our screens.
But when can we start talking about it?

Does Sherlock live?

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm a little concerned by a line in the trailer that goes something like "I don't want to know how you faked your death, I want to know why you did it", as it sounds like it might just be brushed over, which would be a disappointment given all the wild theories going around.

Did you see the mini episode? It might have been available on the red button, but I saw it on youtube (non-spoilery):

Considering that the series are inspired by the original Sir Arthur Conan Doyle stories I think the question is "how does he live". Eagerly awaiting the new series to find out.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I recently found that Anthony Newley's 'The Strange World of Gurney Slade' was on youtube. In the last episode I saw an actor I knew, I thought that's the bloke who played Sherlock Homes on TV in the 60's and it was, Douglas Wilmer. So I looked him up on IMDB to see if he was still alive and he is and he'll be 94 on Jan 8th and then I saw he was in The Reichenbach Fall episode as 'Diogenes Gent' which I thought was a nice touch by the makers of Sherlock.

y
I recently found that Anthony Newley's 'The Strange World of Gurney Slade' was on youtube. In the last episode I saw an actor I knew, I thought that's the bloke who played Sherlock Homes on TV in the 60's and it was, Douglas Wilmer. So I looked him up on IMDB to see if he was still alive and he is and he'll be 94 on Jan 8th and then I saw he was in The Reichenbach Fall episode as 'Diogenes Gent' which I thought was a nice touch by the makers of Sherlock.

Nice touch, I would never have spotted a detail like that. It is a pity that Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke are no longer around as I am sure they would have received a similar tribute. They were the best portrayers of the "Classic" Holmes and Watson, but "reboot" is superb. I am sure that Holmes experts (of which am most definitely not) will have spotted many little nods, in the first episode however I did spot that Sherlock's first comment to his brother (Mycroft, played by Mark Gattis) is that he notices he has lost weight. In the original books Mycroft is "Heavily built and massive, there was a suggestion of uncouth physical inertia in the figure ...."

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sherlock is superb, best telly for a long while.

Ian McKellan is going to be in an upcoming Sherlock Holmes film focussing on Holme's retirement in Sussex. I believe Holmes kept bees in retirement and solved the occasional mystery. At least I hope he solves some mysteries or it could be a very niche audience of beekeepers.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Forget the football, the TV event of the year starts in two and a half hours.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looking forward to this immensely, probably going to be the last few episodes as both the lead actors are heavily in demand. Quality acting and writing a great re-boot but keeping the essentials. Cumberbatch plays Sherlock as quite unlikeable as a person but then lets slip just enough for you to like him. Homeland addicts, eat dirt.

Well?

Loved most of it, particularly the "drip feeding" of the consiracy theories about how he faked his death and the banter between him and Mycroft. Not entirely sure about the bit in the tube car with the bomb so can only give it a 9.5/10. Sunday eagerly anticipated.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Once you view the programme as a device to get things rolling again I thought it was excellent.

If you were looking for something else, like a story!!, I can see why you'd be disappointed.

The script, acting, music and editing were all top notch.
I enjoyed the nods to the Sherlockians, but again if you were looking for more, it wasn't there.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
y
It is a pity that Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke are no longer around as I am sure they would have received a similar tribute.

David Burke, Brett's original Watson is still with us. Perhaps he'll crop up later in the series.

I liked the episode, thought 90 minutes might have stretched it a bit but it was great fun. Must say that I'm looking forward to seeing Lars Mikkelsen as the villain - he should be excellent

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Thought Gatis did an excellent job writing it and playing Mycroft last night, his two MR James programmes on Xmas day were excellent too. It would be interesting to get his take on how he came at the modern Holmes (and his relationship with Mycroft).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Once you view the programme as a device to get things rolling again I thought it was excellent.

If you were looking for something else, like a story!!, I can see why you'd be disappointed.

The script, acting, music and editing were all top notch.
I enjoyed the nods to the Sherlockians, but again if you were looking for more, it wasn't there.

Very enjoyable but with some hazy parts for me, it was mostly a vehicle to reintroduce the characters but worked very well. Snappy script, top acting etc as Stat says.

Cumberbatch makes a Holmes you want to slap round the face as he can be detestable but then shows you the opposite so you almost end up cheering him. The best bit of tellybox this crimbo.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Very enjoyable but with some hazy parts for me, it was mostly a vehicle to reintroduce the characters but worked very well. Snappy script, top acting etc as Stat says.

Cumberbatch makes a Holmes you want to slap round the face as he can be detestable but then shows you the opposite so you almost end up cheering him. The best bit of tellybox this crimbo.
All of this. Superb entertainment and the only thing I dislike about Holmes is that a "series" seems to mean just THREE episodes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here