Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was Schmeichel sledging Barnes before his pen?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It was a really poor penalty.

There is more than just "did it go in or not". You're less likely to score if you kick it down the middle at waist height, i.e. straight at the goalkeeper.

Dozy nitpicker.

It was a goal!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How is it not according to that website?

Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, but the central position Barnes put the ball in was a position that is 'rarely saved' as described by TRHK - saved by 'Keepers only 3.6% of the time...

That table is weird. The penalties scored all add up to 100% as do those missed, suggesting it means "of those scored x% were scored in that square". So I would assume it also means "of those saved, 3.6% of them were saved in the middle box". But, the saved chart only adds up to 91%(ish).

However, 3.6% of penalties saved being saved down the middle would mean a much lower percentage of penalties taken are saved down the middle (e.g. if 200 penalties are taken, 100 of them are saved, and 3 of them saved in the middle square, that means 3% of penalties saved are saved in the middle, but only 1.5% of penalties taken are saved down the middle).

I believe the current conversion rate is around 75%. So it's 3.6% of the 25% of saved penalties. That is, about 0.9% of penalties taken are saved down the middle.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The other thing about the stats from Creaky is that they are from penalty shoot outs. I think it's a safe bet that taking at least five successive penalties changes keepers (and takers) behaviour. Typically penalties such as Barnes' happen in isolation.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Well done Ash, keep it going.

Barnes.jpg

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Just seen FL Show for the first time since the stream and still looks a perfectly fine penalty to me.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
It went in surely all that matters. If it was saved or missed the target we would have something to debate, surely any penalty that is scored is a good penalty or is another love/hate debate over who took the penalty?

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
Ricky Lambert is probably as good as anyone at taking penalties, and more often than not goes to the keepers right with enough power to score even if the keeper goes the right way. Occasionally he will go straight down the middle to keep them guessing, but those aren't bad penalties. I was delighted that Barnes smashed it down the middle as knowing our success rate with penalties, I thought it might well get saved if he went to one side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here