Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's World Cup draw: location will be crucial

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I've been saying this too. Everyone seems hung up on which other teams are gonna be in England's group but I don't really give a shit. What does matter to me is what conditions England will have to play their games in.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Stronger group the better for me. Hate seeing shite games agains Algeria et al and then getting knocked out by the first decent team we meet.

Bring on Brazil and the rest. Thats what the world cup is all about.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think the draw makes a lot of odds to our chances, to be honest. There aren't many absolute no-hopers there, gone are the days when you could expect a nice cushy starter against (say) New Zealand and aim to score 10. We're usually terrible against whichever African side we play (see Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt), so I fully expect that to continue. That will be a draw. Then another draw against whichever mid-ranking European side pops up- a Switzerland, if you will-, causing mass panic in the tabloid media about whether we'll qualify from the group or not, followed by a surprisingly comfortable and thus hope-giving victory over a fancied side (let's say the Netherlands) putting us through to the next round.

Then we'll lose to Chile or Romania in the knock out phases (in the unlikely event that we scrape past them, a quarter final defeat to the Sun's favourite pantomime villain nations, Argentina or Germany, is pencilled in).

There. I've saved you all watching the competition now....all that's left is sweeping camera shots of large-breasted, scantily clad Brazilian ladies bouncing cheerily in the crowd :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Surely this is just a warm up for the big draw of the day, namely the NSC World Cup Sweepstake draw?

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Surely this is just a warm up for the big draw of the day, namely the NSC World Cup Sweepstake draw?

And the 3rd round draw for the World's Greatest Cup Competition (c) ITV, on Sunday afternoon.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Who on Earth would want to watch that? :rolleyes:

I have a feeling it's going to be you and me against the weight of NSC here :)

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think the draw makes a lot of odds to our chances, to be honest.:

True. But the location will handily provide this tournament's excuse for failure.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Nothing is crucial. It's hardly worth us turning up.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
True. But the location will handily provide this tournament's excuse for failure.

Good point.

-too hot
-too rainy
-too close to the city (distractions)
-too far from the city (boredom)
-too far between venues
-stadium not built in time
-pitch not up to scratch
-piranhas in the swimming pool
-jet lag caused by time differences

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Oh FFS, what are the BBC thinking?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25250691

[h=1]2014 Fifa World Cup: Man Utd's Rio Ferdinand joins BBC team[/h]
Rio Ferdinand will be part of the BBC punditry team for the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil, BBC Sport has announced.
The Manchester United defender and former England captain, 35, has 81 international caps and was selected in four World Cup squads.
He joins other former England players Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Phil Neville to provide analysis of the tournament in June and July.
"I really want to provide a different sort of insight and analysis," he said.
Ferdinand is close friends with many of the England team and is on Greg Dyke's Football Association commission, which was set up to improve the national team's fortunes.
In addition to his punditry role, he will present a documentary and film features during the tournament and will have a special role with interactive and social media content.
"I want to interact with audiences throughout the summer, with special forums and using social media to answer viewer questions and provide extra content," he said.
"I'll be cheering on England, especially with quite a few of my club-mates involved. But there'll be a great array of Premier League players on display throughout the tournament and I'm excited to see how they all perform on the big stage."
Presenter Lineker believes Ferdinand's forthright opinions will be popular with viewers.
"Rio has a reputation for telling it how it is and I'm sure audiences will look forward to hearing his opinions and insight in the studio," he said.
"He is a fine footballer with a proven track record and has played with and against some of the top internationals who will be at the World Cup. We're already incredibly proud of our BBC team and we're delighted to add Rio to our line-up."
BBC head of TV sport Philip Bernie said: "We are delighted to have Rio with us for the World Cup and believe he will be a real star of our coverage this summer," he said.
"The BBC has a proud reputation of delivering the biggest names and highest quality coverage at major football tournaments and we are sure Rio will play a central part in helping us deliver this again."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll bet you 30 PEE that they do a minute's silence for Nelson Mandela before the balls are drawn.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It does not really matter where or who we play the results will be predictable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here