Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar's team selection?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
So let me get this straight, he dropped the man of the match from Saturday (Ince) yet still played the two worst players JFC and Lopez (both of whom were dreadful and got substituted again). Then, he waited until the 80th minute to bring on Lita despite looking completely abject in the final third. I like the guy but he was tactically clueless tonight.

Dec 29, 2011
Yeah, as I say I like the guy I was just baffled by starting Lopez and JFC yet again.

I agree, however playing both Ince and Bridcutt could have been criticized as 'too defensive' also, so he'd probably have been criticised either way. Would like to see Lopez dropped for a long period of time though.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I agree, however playing both Ince and Bridcutt could have been criticized as 'too defensive' also, so he'd probably have been criticised either way. Would like to see Lopez dropped for a long period of time though.
To be honest I'd rather give someone like March a chance over Lopez. At least he'd be hungry to impress, Lopez has looked disinterested all season, presuming that Buckley couldn't play the full 90.

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
Ince was carrying a knock, but to leave it until 81 minutes to bring on Lita was an awful decision. As for some of the balls to Barnes why put them to his head when he is on his own. 2 up front should have been the formation for second half at the expense of Dopey Dave.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
So let me get this straight, he dropped the man of the match from Saturday (Ince) yet still played the two worst players JFC and Lopez (both of whom were dreadful and got substituted again). Then, he waited until the 80th minute to bring on Lita despite looking completely abject in the final third. I like the guy but he was tactically clueless tonight.

Couldn't agree more. 1 up front at home versus lowly, can't buy a performance, Barnsley. Negative tactics created a negative performance and we got exactly what we deserved.... Nothing

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Some managers have off days, Gus had plenty. Remember Millwall at home a few years back?

Wasn't that about this time last year? 0-2 at half time then 2-2.

I guess managers know much more about players than we do, but to have 2 attackers available but play only 1 up at home against a team who were on a terrible run did seem a bit negative.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Manager takes a good share of the blame for that performance. Picked the wrong team. Why wait until the last ten minutes to bring on Lita when Barnes is having such a poor game?

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Selection was totally wrong far too negative and to keep picking players out of form is very worrying. A blind man can see Lopez is way way under par. So much for or quick attractive attacking style we were going to adopt, we can't pass anymore and play a lone striker isolated at home against the bottom side :annoyed:

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Losing 2-1 at home and we take off a striker....says it all. So many anonymous players tonight, not just because I can't see their shirt numbers. We were utterly woeful, but so typical Brighton - when it comes to the easy matches, we freeze. And an attendance of 25,500 + ..... hmmm. No passion shown on the pitch nor from the bench. Very depressing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Lopez dropped from a high building..might knock some football sense into him..wtf has happened to him

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Manager takes a good share of the blame for that performance. Picked the wrong team. Why wait until the last ten minutes to bring on Lita when Barnes is having such a poor game?

Yep have to agree, Barnes was woeful tonight, I was hoping for Lita at half time not the 80th minute.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven

Ince was not dropped,he was resting his dead leg & was replaced by who I believe has been our player of the season for the last couple of years.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Selection was totally wrong far too negative and to keep picking players out of form is very worrying. A blind man can see Lopez is way way under par. So much for or quick attractive attacking style we were going to adopt, we can't pass anymore and play a lone striker isolated at home against the bottom side :annoyed:

It was obvious tonight that if Oscar wants to play his way, then Bridcutt has to change the way he plays. It was like watching games under Gus, Liam playing the balls sideways and backwards. Ince gives us the chance to drive forwards when he has the ball. As you say, one striker at home against the bottom team who have not won away is something I can't understand. Let's hope that Oscar holds his hands up and admits to getting it wrong. He says he wants to win every game for the fans, tonight it didn't look like it. It is the first time I have doubted his tactics so hopefully he can put it right on Saturday. One things for sure S Dave shouldn't be anywhere near the team. Couldn't believe he did not get taken off at half time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, OG knows far more about running a football team than I do (at least, I bl**** well hope he does!) but I'd have thought it would have been a good idea to play two up when at home against a lowly team who will come and park the bus and try to get the odd goal on the break - too defensive minded tonight, IMHO.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Losing 2-1 at home and we take off a striker....says it all. So many anonymous players tonight, not just because I can't see their shirt numbers. We were utterly woeful, but so typical Brighton - when it comes to the easy matches, we freeze. And an attendance of 25,500 + ..... hmmm. No passion shown on the pitch nor from the bench. Very depressing.

Championship . No easy games. You one of the boo boys tonight expecting easy win ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It was obvious tonight that if Oscar wants to play his way, then Bridcutt has to change the way he plays. It was like watching games under Gus, Liam playing the balls sideways and backwards. Ince gives us the chance to drive forwards when he has the ball. As you say, one striker at home against the bottom team who have not won away is something I can't understand. Let's hope that Oscar holds his hands up and admits to getting it wrong. He says he wants to win every game for the fans, tonight it didn't look like it. It is the first time I have doubted his tactics so hopefully he can put it right on Saturday. One things for sure S Dave shouldn't be anywhere near the team. Couldn't believe he did not get taken off at half time.

I don't think Bridcutt needs to change. That role of picking the ball from a defender and playing it to a midfielder, or protecting the back-four, is a vital one and which Liam plays tidily and effectively. The problem, I think, is that the other players were found wanting, especially Lopez, which increases fans' desire for Bridcutt to play a more attacking role, when it's not really his main job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here