Page 1 of 39 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand v Paxman

Brand v Paxman

0 Not allowed!

Good watch this.
    CAGE - watch now on AMAZON PRIME - http://amzn.to/2oBhqDW.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

Russel Brand - calling for revolution?

0 Not allowed!

Just watched this video and although I can't say i agree with all of it the gist of it certainly resonates.

The main part that interests me is that Paxman keeps on about him not voting and accuses him of apathy. I have always voted but have never felt represented by the traditional parties. (actually this is not quite true as over the last couple of elections I have found a party that I am happy to vote for).

Never liked Russel Brand as a stand up or an actor or even a radio host but I find his interviews fascinating and am grateful for him for giving these ideas exposure.
      Too many Florence Nightingales. Not enough Robin Hoods.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Beat me to it, Making the wife a cup of tea slowed me down

Can we merge mods?
      Too many Florence Nightingales. Not enough Robin Hoods.

0 Not allowed!
      Whilst I completely disagree with his political views, I find myself enjoy listening him discuss them. He's quite articulate, and I'd hope more and more celebrities (I'll explain in a second) were more open about their political views. Regarding celebrities, they expose ideas to a very wide audience. While many would probably play blind to those ideas, nod and agree; I like to think people would be more interested in researching different types of political theories and begin to explore those ideas.

Alternatively, I think politics should be taught in schools to produce a more aware generation. Of course I want them all to have libertarian values! But, as democracy dictates, pluralism will hopefully make a real return in regards to political parties with a clear stance on policy. It was a topic that came up in my politics seminar this week regarding politics.
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As I said I dont know just assumed

0 Not allowed!
      He absolutely runs rings around Paxman here, it shows up JP for what he is - a caricatured curmudgeon whose only tactic is to be abrasive and aggressive. Brand is far better equipped than the humourless, gaffe-prone politicians normally lined up for verbal slaughter, because his default setting as a comedian is to disarm, to take the piss. He's a fantastically articulate bloke, regardless of your views on him, and what he's saying rings very true on a basic level - people are getting increasingly disillusioned and disenfranchised from mainstream politics because the political class (of all parties) are all cut from the same cloth. The bit about the coming revolution is a bit much, but I certainly agree that people are frustrated with the same old lies, the same scandals, the same self-interest and the corruptions. It's not Brand's intention to suggest a genuine alternative, which JP tries to provoke him into - he's just saying the existing system is self-serving and broken, and it no longer serves the best interests of the country, of the people, but just reinforces the existing problems and divisions within wider society. Great interview.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Go Russell, I like the sound of most (not all) of that. I wish more people in the limelight would stand up and say what so many ordinary folk are thinking.

0 Not allowed!
      He is absolutely right about everything he says, it's rare to see Paxman silenced in this way, but these problems are obvious to everyone who bothers to give it enough thought. Democracy is broken, our politicians serve the wealthy minority, not the general population. They're so detached from real life people and problems, how could they represent us? Almost every decision they make is to make us work as hard as possible and take as much of our hard-earned as they can, and do the exact opposite for the rich elite.

Revolution is inevitable, we can learn that from history and such is human nature. The idea of such a drastic change will take many people out of their comfort zones, as they pretend that everything is OK as they work hard in their offices to make some anonymous fat cat even richer for doing next to nothing, then going home to pay taxes and bills which do essentially the same thing. The first step is for all people to be aware of the problems, share the same ultimate goals and realise that we can make a difference. It's time for a revolutionary political change for the 21st century - it's time for social and economic equality.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Beat me to it, Making the wife a cup of tea slowed me down

Can we merge mods?
      I liked the last line of this post, I don't want to be a grammar Nazi about the missing comma, as i'm not fussed about that, it's just the idea of merging mods that grabbed me.
      Might I propose melding Lord Bracknell and Ernest?
      Last edited by Mr Albion; 24-10-2013 at 22:03. Reason: grammar
      Smith Did Score
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Revolution can take many forms.
      As much as I would like to see the full bloodied version and see the heads of the front bench of this so called coalition, on spikes in traitors gate, the democratic way is not to vote.
      Politicians only exist to win votes, they are nothing without them, yet except for 3 weeks in every 5 years they tend to forget that its the people that keeps them employed, after the election the people do not exist.
      Beats me why we all fall for it everytime.

0 Not allowed!
      Loved this vid, although not a Brand fan.

I liked the 'dupe' smile at the end with 'We're taking the power'.
      If it knocks anyone out of political apathy it's got to be good.