Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commuting from Brighton (Preston Park) to London

BrightonNewBoy

Aug 13, 2013
Hi there, new to the site and thinking of relocating back down to the south coast. Currently considering renting a place close to Preston Park station for commuting into London weekdays. I'm a little concerned the trains would be packed once they leave Brighton though and I'd spend the entire journey standing (whilst forking out more for the privilege! - I see fares are up again today, 4%+ and moving further away from London, but for work-life balance reasons, I'm sure the cost of a season ticket is likely to knock me off my feet, currently I pay 300 quid a month without the tube which I'd need if getting into Victoria/Lond Bridge/Blackfrairs etc)

I used to live in Brighton as a student and still have fond memories, of the city and the seagulls (recently visited the new Amex stadium, and was SERIOUSLY impressed - so glad you guys pulled it off after all that waiting and planning permission rubbish, a club like Brighton definitely deserve it!)

Preston Park seems like a really nice area too, not far from the old Withdean (again another place I have fond memories of from all the Bobby Zamora goals I used to see for free whilst working as a steward, Micky Adams was manager back then I think, fun times!)

Does anyone else on here commute from Preston Park to London daily? Any recommendations, like "take the early trains before XX am" etc or "don't bother, you'll be standing all the way every day" etc?

Thanks
and best of luck on your promotion push this year, BHA would be a great addition to the premiership for sure!

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Lots of people will be able to advise you, my personal observation is that if you can travel in from PP at about 10am instead (don't know how flexible your work is) the price drops enormously AND you'll get a seat.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It always looks like you can get a seat on the 7:37

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hi there, new to the site and thinking of relocating back down to the south coast. Currently considering renting a place close to Preston Park station for commuting into London weekdays. I'm a little concerned the trains would be packed once they leave Brighton though and I'd spend the entire journey standing (whilst forking out more for the privilege! - I see fares are up again today, 4%+ and moving further away from London, but for work-life balance reasons, I'm sure the cost of a season ticket is likely to knock me off my feet, currently I pay 300 quid a month without the tube which I'd need if getting into Victoria/Lond Bridge/Blackfrairs etc)

I used to live in Brighton as a student and still have fond memories, of the city and the seagulls (recently visited the new Amex stadium, and was SERIOUSLY impressed - so glad you guys pulled it off after all that waiting and planning permission rubbish, a club like Brighton definitely deserve it!)

Preston Park seems like a really nice area too, not far from the old Withdean (again another place I have fond memories of from all the Bobby Zamora goals I used to see for free whilst working as a steward, Micky Adams was manager back then I think, fun times!)

Does anyone else on here commute from Preston Park to London daily? Any recommendations, like "take the early trains before XX am" etc or "don't bother, you'll be standing all the way every day" etc?

Thanks
and best of luck on your promotion push this year, BHA would be a great addition to the premiership for sure!

I think I have said enough about trains in the past 24 hours so my only advice is to take a spare cup with you should you wish to share your bottle of water :smile:

And welcome to NSC.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I used to get the 7:37 every morning. Always got a seat, unless previous trains had been cancelled. Seven Dials/Preston Park area is a lovely place to live. My wife, my children and I weep to think of what we foolishly left behind in order to shorten my commute (which I've now ironically lengthened even more now). Do they still hand out the Argus Lite - used to finish it just at the point where you can glimpse Eldred Avenue.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Thanks
When I'm commuting I leave Brighton or Preston Park (it depends) before 07:00 and in my experience the trains from Brighton are usually fine when they reach Preston Park, in other words you should always be able to find a seat. (Victoria trains are usually more empty than London Bridge ones.) The exceptions are when there's a rolling stock shortage or when the trains aren't running for whatever reason.

The trains from the West, Littlehampton etc, are usually pretty packed by the time they get to P.P.

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Thanks

I usually get 06:44 if going to Victoria, often get 4 seats & table to myself all the way. Travel in rear coaches and there is plenty of room. Also get 07:37 to London Bridge and always get a seat at PP.

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I used to get the 7:37 every morning. Always got a seat, unless previous trains had been cancelled. Seven Dials/Preston Park area is a lovely place to live. My wife, my children and I weep to think of what we foolishly left behind in order to shorten my commute (which I've now ironically lengthened even more now). Do they still hand out the Argus Lite - used to finish it just at the point where you can glimpse Eldred Avenue.

Argus Lite has long gone! Have Metros though.

BrightonNewBoy

Aug 13, 2013
Wow, that's great news (about the seat availability)

Was really expecting I might have to stand the whole way unless I took the 5am train or something equally ridiculous

Thanks guys (and gals?)! Really helpful advice :)

By the way, this is probably one of the most professional, easy to navigate football forums I've ever seen, good work!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If anyone travels to London in the peak hours but doesn't want to buy a season ticket then I know a way you can save £15/20 a day on your ticket.

Can you tell us how to lose lbs fast & build lean muscle in just two weeks too?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Don't want to hijack thread but this question doesn't warrant it's own thread - How far is Preston Circus away from the Royal Pavillion and Grand Parade? Is it easily walkable?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Don't want to hijack thread but this question doesn't warrant it's own thread - How far is Preston Circus away from the Royal Pavillion and Grand Parade? Is it easily walkable?

Preston Circus is about 10-15 minutes walk from the Pavilion

Wow, that's great news (about the seat availability)

Was really expecting I might have to stand the whole way unless I took the 5am train or something equally ridiculous

Thanks guys (and gals?)! Really helpful advice :)

By the way, this is probably one of the most professional, easy to navigate football forums I've ever seen, good work!

Preston Park is just about OK, think it starts getting a bit hairy for seats from Burgess Hill onwards

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Got the 7.32 from Brighton for a while.
People get a seat at Preston park, but not after. This is at the front of the train.

Think train line to London bridge is diverting from may though.

Rental prices near Brighton station are not a lot more than Preston park. Maybe £125 per month extra assuming its a one bed.

BrightonNewBoy

Aug 13, 2013
Thanks again everyone for your comments, much appreciated!

As for living close to Brighton station vs. Preston Park, surely the latter wins hands-down everytime. Especially if there's not much in it in terms of the rents/house prices etc.

I like Brighton, but to be a little bit further out (i.e. PP) should mean a slightly better standard of living in my opinion, with everything you need just a short drive/walk away.

Who was that guy who scored a screamer in the pre-season against Norwich by the way? He looks class

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here