Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More Gus-related disclosures from Paul Barber; if this stuff bores you, do not open thread

Feb 14, 2010
And cost us how much ? " knows the price of everything and the value of nothing " he is a hachet man, no more, no less, he does the job Bloom pays him to do but please don't ever try and tell me he has any affiliation to BHAFC in anyway or cares for the club, we are his latest employers , that is it.

This is the same Bloom that has spent £100 Million on a new ground, £35 Million on a training ground and personally wrote cheques to keep the club afloat when at Gillingham and Withdean. What have you done for the Albion, and does it match Tony Bloom's contribution? If it does not then maybe, just maybe you might feel some gratitude and respect (if not agree at all times) the person he employs to reduce the amount Tony Bloom has to pay out of his own pocket going forward.

this is the same bloom that has spent £100 million on a new ground, £35 million on a training ground and personally wrote cheques to keep the club afloat when at gillingham and withdean. What have you done for the albion, and does it match tony bloom's contribution? If it does not then maybe, just maybe you might feel some gratitude and respect (if not agree at all times) the person he employs to reduce the amount tony bloom has to pay out of his own pocket going forward.

spot on fella:thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is the same Bloom that has spent £100 Million on a new ground, £35 Million on a training ground and personally wrote cheques to keep the club afloat when at Gillingham and Withdean. What have you done for the Albion, and does it match Tony Bloom's contribution? If it does not then maybe, just maybe you might feel some gratitude and respect (if not agree at all times) the person he employs to reduce the amount Tony Bloom has to pay out of his own pocket going forward.

I was talking about Barber.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Bullshit

Everyone on North Stand Chat did. Does he seriously expect us to believe that they didn't know Gus was on TV that evening when he had already appeared on there for other parts of the tournament. Did they not think it might be prudent to check.

Incompetent.

This.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

There is some sadness about what needs to be done but it does need to be done. And Barber is Bloom. The hysterical schoolgirl approach taken by US and others to this never offers an alternative. They remind me of Poyet - give me more money, I don't care where it comes from, I don't care if it breaks the rules. Somehow they think they have a right to Tony's money. Saving £2 m , with I expect more to come, is going to hurt but it would be impossible to do painlessly. I notice no venom is expended on Barber's predecessor who got us into this mess only on the poor guy who has to clean it up afterwards.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, the buck stops with Bloom. Barber is not running around pissing people off left right and centre because he is a loose cannon. It's what Bloom has employed him to, if you can't see that you've got your head in the sand or up your arse. Barber out might as well be Bloom out.

Does anyone really want Bloom out at the 1st sniff of controversy after the last few years?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
He said that Queens Road wasn't the right place for a shop. I would have thought it was fairly well placed as people pass it coming down from the station to the beach, and near the clock tower which is fairly central. Churchill Square rents are going to be high, so my interpretation of his comments are that the club are looking for another town centre premises but cheaper.

I doubt that costs for setting up a club shop will come under FFP rules and we have a previously spared no expense on infrastructure - so I would think Churchill Square is exactly where they're looking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The current club shop is like some non league club's shop. If we do open another one it will be far more in keeping with the Amex image.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Okay, the Gus stuff..

I'm a little confused. Here it is implied that Gus was sacked because he 'didn't want to honour his contract'. i.e. the club didn't want to risk him leaving part way through this season. That sounds fair enough to me, but elsewhere we've been told that the club sacked Gus for 'gross misconduct'. These two accounts don't really tally, other than the club has found some 'gross misconduct' that was earlier deemed not worthy of instant suspension. Further supports the theory that this is all money-related, want him gone but don't want to pay compo.

Ah well. Perhaps we all suspected this anyway. Thanks for the info, don't want to get into another Gus binfest. Here's hoping B.W. doesn't open this thread :lol:

Except the one incident that was reported covers both of these. It is alleged that Gus refused to deal with the players being released at the end of the season and the reason given was that he did not believe he would still be manager at the start of the next season.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm rather surprised that no other concerts were held at the Amex this summer. After Fatboy slims gigs last year that I believe went well I thought we would have little difficulty in staging the 2 permitted gigs this year. Surely there are a few decent sized bands who could have played at the Amex ?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Slightly off tangent maybe? However, could become very relevant:

Barber persistently quotes FFP when Fans (I REFUSE to use the word customer) are hit with another increase. This is slightly old news, but unless I missed it, I don't recall it being discussed on NSC:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/06/agent-legal-threat-uefa-financial-fair-play

Lets assume Mr Bosman Lawyer wins his case? The whole FFP concept basically flushes down the pan. What happens next?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"Didn't want to honour it" could mean anything. His refusal to deal with player contracts is not honouring his contract. I took this particular comment to be quite vague.

It also doesn't explain WHY he didn't want to honour his contract, and the answer to that is essential before making any judgments. Was his working relationship with Barber untenable?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
"Gus Poyet was not sacked live on TV but headlines damaged the club. Club did not know he was on TV. On that Sunday, Tony Bloom met Gus face-to-face several hours before Match of the Day and he didn't say he would be on TV. There were legal reasons for the timing, and the timing was known to Gus and his legal advisers. Would we really take a decision that would damage the club deliberately, or humiliate someone deliberately? Process had reached a point where it could not go on any longer."

I think it's funny that a professional poker player has a business confrontation and it ends up playing out like a poker game.

I wonder if that happens all the time now for him.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
He specifies economics as the justification. I'd like to see how this decision was made and whether it included good will, brand awareness etc or was just the simple costing of the shop. In fact I'd be quite interested to learn more about the research/science behind his decisions....if there is any.

I doubt there is a need to perform in depth analysis. People shopping in Brighton tend to follow set walking routes. Queens Road is only convenient for those coming down from the station and even then the shop is on the wrong side of the road. Western Road provided a unit is not too far from Churchill Square will see more footfall. Granted this won't make a difference if you are making a specific trip to purchase a match day ticket, but it will make a significant difference for discretionary spending.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yep, the buck stops with Bloom. Barber is not running around pissing people off left right and centre because he is a loose cannon. It's what Bloom has employed him to, if you can't see that you've got your head in the sand or up your arse. Barber out might as well be Bloom out.

Does anyone really want Bloom out at the 1st sniff of controversy after the last few years?

All of this. If Barber was really acting as out of turn as some are suggesting Bloom would've sacked him AGES ago. He's doing Bloom's bidding.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

You are spot on, Icy, but there are too many who want to blame Barber for anything and everything, but will ignore what you've written because they don't want to blame Tony.

They know you're right but can't bring themselves to criticise Tony because of all he has done for the club.

Sad but predictable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here