Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT broadband problems

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
After a nightmare time with BT this last year and recently talking with a thousand Indian advisors and technicians about my Internet failing to connect and continually dropping out they are trying to convince me that the problem is my end and the router is being affected by some sort of interference. No new appliances have arrived in our house so what's the problem. Anyone out there with any knowledge on the subject.
Any advice welcome and I have turned it off and then back on again btw.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sky are no better. I complained that my internet download speed kept reducing so they sent me a new filter. I complained again and they sent me a new cable. Then the speeds got even worse and they offered me better internet for an extra tenner.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Living on the edge of Leek (exchange two miles plus away) have been with BT since March 2013 i know the best speed i can get is around 5mg and as a rule ok,yet when it is wet boy do we have problems can be as slow as .15mg BT have sent an engineer out and he found an outside fault but as i say wet or damp weather can be a real pig.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Go for a three pronged attack:

1. ring up EVERY time it happens and ask them to log the call on your account record. Then complain that this the X time you have rung.
2. At the end of the day (say tomorrow) and after ten calls ask to speak to an English customer retention officer.
3. About half way through the day post a new thread on the BT forum (http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/bd-p/BTInfinity).

Every time you speak to someone ask for the engineer to come out with a hub 4 and to check ALL the hardware etc... by the time you come off the phone to the customer retention person you'll have a response to your post, an engineer coming round, a cheaper deal and feel all the better for complaining.

Well thats what i did and it worked for me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Go to Virgin Media, the inheritors of the Nynex cable system. You are plugged in to a fibre optic electronic motorway. Your sex life will never be better.

Living on the edge of Leek (exchange two miles plus away) have been with BT since March 2013 i know the best speed i can get is around 5mg and as a rule ok,yet when it is wet boy do we have problems can be as slow as .15mg BT have sent an engineer out and he found an outside fault but as i say wet or damp weather can be a real pig.
That's incredibly fast compared with the 2mg that gets delivered via the overhead cable that runs the two miles from our local exchange, which - as far as I can work out - is powered by a team of hamsters crawling inside a revolving wheel. The BT engineer who connected us, though, was brilliant. He simply refused to accept the technical advice that he'd been supplied with, that we were "out of range". Mind you, that required him to go across a field and disconnect a neighbour. The irony is that, half a mile away, there's a buried cable that is distributing high-speed communications across the whole of the south east of England.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I have had massive problems with BT since they installed Infinity 2. The only way to get any joy is to make sure you document every contact you make with them. Once everything is sorted, write in to their complaints department with a copy of our complaint log and emphasise how disappointed you are to be treated in such a way by a company so large.

I did this and was awarded £50 compensation which was increased by a further £15 because it took them 4 months to apply the credit. I further complained and escalated it to the Communication Ombudsman which netted a grovelling apology from BT and a further £50 compensation!

The vital point is to make sure you document everything.

Good luck.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Had similar on business broadband and numerous engineers couldn't fix it. In the end one tried simply replacing the adsl filter things that you plug into the phone lines. Job done.

Mentioned it to a friend who had similar problems and the same thing worked for them.

Ask them to send you some replacements to try as a first step and good luck.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
That's incredibly fast compared with the 2mg that gets delivered via the overhead cable that runs the two miles from our local exchange, which - as far as I can work out - is powered by a team of hamsters crawling inside a revolving wheel. The BT engineer who connected us, though, was brilliant. He simply refused to accept the technical advice that he'd been supplied with, that we were "out of range". Mind you, that required him to go across a field and disconnect a neighbour. The irony is that, half a mile away, there's a buried cable that is distributing high-speed communications across the whole of the south east of England.

Snap,i live on a private road (yep we get the bins collected but not much else) and it as if BT say they want to 'help' but try to fob you off. However walk down the road (half a mile) and it is fibre optic !! Good piece on Counrtyfile last week about internet speeds.

Telscombe Seagull

Aug 15, 2003
Burgess Hill
Had similar on business broadband and numerous engineers couldn't fix it. In the end one tried simply replacing the adsl filter things that you plug into the phone lines. Job done.

Mentioned it to a friend who had similar problems and the same thing worked for them.

Ask them to send you some replacements to try as a first step and good luck.

Good idea. or if in a rush your local PC World will sell them

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Think they are trying to say you have Rein on the line which is basically electrical interference which will keep cutting off the BB. Normally this is due to an electrical appliance in the house. The way to check is to set your radio to I think radio5 and just see what noise you hear. Most common cause is plugs

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I had the same problem until I changed the router channel and now it behaves perfectly.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
After a nightmare time with BT this last year and recently talking with a thousand Indian advisors and technicians about my Internet failing to connect and continually dropping out they are trying to convince me that the problem is my end and the router is being affected by some sort of interference. No new appliances have arrived in our house so what's the problem. Anyone out there with any knowledge on the subject.

Had same problem for last six months. Demanded a replacement hub3 and set it up tonight. Brilliant now!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Snap,i live on a private road (yep we get the bins collected but not much else) and it as if BT say they want to 'help' but try to fob you off. However walk down the road (half a mile) and it is fibre optic !! Good piece on Counrtyfile last week about internet speeds.

well then, why dont you pay for half a mile of fibre to be laid? oh, too expensive...? thing is, and i bet Countryfile didnt mention this, the technology is pushing the capability of the cable to the limit and beyond. Cat5 cables used for ethernet in your office where orginally specc'd for 10mb/s and only 100m range, and they are far higher quality cable than the stuff rolled out by GPO for decades. when i first learnt of ADSL some 15 years ago, the highest "possible" speed was 2mb over 2 miles (iirc). the techie wonks have bumped the data rate extended the distance far beyond what was supposed to be possible. long story, short, it is poor for country folk, but thats because you a long way from the exchange.

OP, i've had similar trouble a couple of times, but always resolved by logging the call online (bloody difficult wtih dropping connection). I've been with Plusnet which i dont believe have Indian call centres, wich helps. i also know what to say i have check/changed (they blame every component possible, when nothing changed) to get through the process. also supply logs from router of the disconnections, that can help diagnosis and also looks like you have a clue what you are doing. there isnt enoug info to go on, try disconnect *everything* inc all phones, except router, and if its still a problem then it not you end and tell them to send a engineer. but they will charge if they send one and find your equipment faulty, because they get alot of people who dont bother to check anything and it is their equipment.

D

Deleted member 18477

BT infinity broadband is absolutely brilliant for me!

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I'm halfway there with BT. They've finally fixed 1 of the 2 problems caused by the engineer's first visit on which he managed to break the phone line and my tv aerial socket.
That's after 2 hours + on the phone and a 2 page letter of complaint. Let's just hope they turn up next week otherwise they can shove their 12 month contract where the sun doesn't shine!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011

Suggest you do some research on R.E.I.N (repetitive electrical impulse noise). It is hard to detect and many things can trigger it. Not just in your premises.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here