Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we missing something or just going senile?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Attended the Sussex County League dinner at Hove Town Hall tonight, excellent catering by Hardings, former Albion caterers till the Azure bung, and spoke to a number of genuine football people and in most cases long time Albion fans.
To a man all could not understand what is actually going on at the Albion, footballing suicide was a phrase used more than once, I know I will probably get flamed but this has gone on too long, it's turning into a farce, I've no doubt Tony Bloom loves our club as much as we all do, but for that reason alone he has to act now whatever the outcome.

... and he needs to listen to this message and say something positive that retains the level of confidence in the Club that has been growing over the past few years.

I'm not talking about explaining what's going on behind the scenes. We understand the sensitivities. I'm talking about a bit of flag-waving to reassure the doubters and keep them on board. And that IS a job for the Chairman, not one that he can delegate to his staff, however professional they are.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
I do understand the sentiments being expressed by LB + LR - I have shed more than a few tears in the wee small hours over this ****

We must find the belief to have faith in the guy who has put his neck on the line and sunk I reckon at least 200 million into our club - the club he and his family have loved and supported for many years

Ps tony doesn't win at poker by putting all his cards on the table

Last edited:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Attended the Sussex County League dinner at Hove Town Hall tonight, excellent catering by Hardings, former Albion caterers till the Azure bung, and spoke to a number of genuine football people and in most cases long time Albion fans.
To a man all could not understand what is actually going on at the Albion, footballing suicide was a phrase used more than once, I know I will probably get flamed but this has gone on too long, it's turning into a farce, I've no doubt Tony Bloom loves our club as much as we all do, but for that reason alone he has to act now whatever the outcome.

I am a great believer in supporting local business I am fed up with chains that kill good local business because of buying power and some not paying tax,a lot about this has appeared recently in the press. We are expected to surpport our local team lets hope our club suports our local bussiness it must also be at the right price.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

i agree with your sentiments.......this whole saga has gone on long enough but it is nigh on impossible to resolve whilst Poyet is out of the country as some have said he is.

If he isn't out of the country then i can't see any reason for the delay.

If he is out of the country (again) then he is showing a flagrant disregard for the well-being of the club.

in my humble opinion of course:down:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The alternative point of view is that we could reward Tony's investment by showing a little faith in his ability to resolve this matter. I find the wall of silence very impressive. It says to me that the club really do have a grip on the situation.

I'm as frustrated as the next person but I have no desire to hear some meaningless reassuring platitude. I'll wait for the real news. In the great scheme of things this is an annoying blip, we'll get over it.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Silence certainly doesn't give me any confidence. 3 weeks is more than enough to determine the facts behind the suspension, take legal opinion and act. Can only assume one side is playing hardball, but if impasse is reached TB/PB have to take the initiative

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The alternative point of view is that we could reward Tony's investment by showing a little faith in his ability to resolve this matter. I find the wall of silence very impressive. It says to me that the club really do have a grip on the situation.

I've been very impressed by the silence from both sides - for there to have been no "leaks" from either camp suggests that negotiations are being handled professionally OR there haven't been any!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Lenny, apologies if I'm missing the point, but is Paul Barber coming out with his 'holding' press statements not enough?

As discussed in previous threads, whether we like it or not the Albion have moved on in a business sense.

If the club are following a disciplinary/dismissal/reconciliation process, all of this is likely to take time, especially if it is done properly and does not result in a future court case or in the case of a reconciliation a loss of credibility by either party. I am fairly certain, in the same situation you would not wish your company's dirty linen aired on a continued basis on the front page of the Herald.

In terms of the club's ongoing progress, is the training ground investment not enough? If Tony wanted to, I am sure he could find a way of pulling the plug on it.

If we signed Matthew Upson or David Lopez, do you think that would go some way to reassuring people, or do you think a new manager would be lumbered with players he didn't want or rate?

It is frustrating, but I don't really see what else can be reasonably done. That said, I anticipate action in the next 10 days when Poyet returns from Barbados - no sources just a feeling.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea

I'm as frustrated as the next person but I have no desire to hear some meaningless reassuring platitude. I'll wait for the real news. In the great scheme of things this is an annoying blip, we'll get over it.
:thumbsup:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
but this has gone on too long,

I have extremely impressed with the silence from the club and from the suspended three's sides through this situation. I've also been very impressed with PB's emails and interview. However, it is impossible to disagree with LR's sentiment. I have been involved in upwards of 100 suspensions in a work situation. Not one took three weeks to resolve. When they involved a senior manager, they generally took between 2 and 5 days to resolve. This situation is perhaps more complex than some, most especially because three senior employees were suspended at the same time and probably their cases are linked in at least some ways, thus meaning that there will need to be consistency in approach to each separate case. But still - while I remain impressed with the professionalism of the club in the way they're dealing with the situation, it really does need sorting soon (by which I mean by the end of next week).

Lord Bracknell;5755619 I'm talking about a bit of flag-waving to reassure the doubters and keep them on board. And that IS a job for the Chairman said:
Yep. It would appropriate for TB to do this. You're also right to say that flag-waving and a call to rally behind the Albion Standard in times of some difficulty is precisely the Chairman's job; the more so because TB knows that we know that he invested shed loads and is himself a true Albion fan.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
I no longer subscribe to the view that the club is being patient / professional / following procedure etc etc.

I think this has been handled very badly and has become unnecessarily prolonged. Sure there will be contacts behind the scenes to ask other clubs to "approach regarding Poyet" and get him off our hands, but in a professionally handled business this whole affair would have been dealt with very swiftly to enable the business to focus quickly on its priorities. There should have been a succession planning strategy already in place - which many good businesses have for key employees.

And I don't blame Poyet fully either. When you are the real public face of the club, and continually have microphones thrust into your face, often at times when your disappointment is at its highest level, I sympathise that your frustration can come out. This is not an easy art, especially for a passionate person, who might well feel that his working environment had changed since the arrival of a new CEO.

History will be rewritten several times in the coming months and years - but we will certainly look back at the golden days when Poyet was the boss. And we will certainly be saying "what a cock up the summer of 2013 was". No flaming needed Lenny Rider - I'm fully with you.

Stumpy Tim

No, no, no - about everything, what's happened, how it's happening, what its doing to the fans, the players, the short - medium + long term repercussions for our club etc, the very sad ending to a cracking season etc etc etc

And this has made you cry? There are people on NSC who are battling cancer, people who have lost family & friends, people who have gone through dramatic personal episodes like divorce & bankruptcy. And you're crying because we lost in the play-offs, our manager is leaving, and someone took a dump in the away changing rooms.

Unbelievable. In fact, I don't believe it

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I have extremely impressed with the silence from the club and from the suspended three's sides through this situation. I've also been very impressed with PB's emails and interview. However, it is impossible to disagree with LR's sentiment. I have been involved in upwards of 100 suspensions in a work situation. Not one took three weeks to resolve. When they involved a senior manager, they generally took between 2 and 5 days to resolve. This situation is perhaps more complex than some, most especially because three senior employees were suspended at the same time and probably their cases are linked in at least some ways, thus meaning that there will need to be consistency in approach to each separate case. But still - while I remain impressed with the professionalism of the club in the way they're dealing with the situation, it really does need sorting soon (by which I mean by the endn.

Not being rude but what is the size of your business. For the business I work in so far the time delay feels about right.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not being rude but what is the size of your business. For the business I work in so far the time delay feels about right.

No offence taken! The total number I was referring to was spread across my career, so total employee numbers ranging from about 50 to 12,000. The majority of suspensions were in businesses of 1k-5k employees. In my experience, taking the 3 most senior people out of a (the?) mission-critical activity would be resolved faster than 3 weeks. Businesses do vary greatly in their sensitivity to morale issues though; and we do know that football is a pretty unique business anyway!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here