Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exclusive interview with Paul Barber.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think Barber should start writing the club's press releases and website copy. They'll come across as more human then.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Brilliant article.

I think any one still thinks Barber is bad for our club, might as well just be humoured and patted on the head and sent on their merry way!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Really good interview Richie, you put across many of the points of concern on here in a clever non-confrontational manner, and to be fair to Barber, he met them head-on and responded in an intelligent and coherent manner. Nice one! :thumbsup:

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I can't stand all this 'Barber Out' bullshit.

The bloke has come in with a brief to control costs and increase revenue. He is simply trying to ensure we do just that so as to comply with FFP.

What's the problem? Surely as a Brighton fan you want to put a stop to us losing in excess of 8 million a year which is clearly not sustainable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Excellent read, and everything Barber says makes full sense for those willing to listen.

The income is the highest in the division for clubs without parachute money, but costs/staffing have been found to be excessive compared to competitors. You can therefore see quite rightly that the club needs to rake in more money from all sources including us, and there will be staffing cuts, to comply with the MANDATORY FL FFP rules. All this is true and will remain so, whether some make Barber a hate figure or not.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Barber- Total professional, fantastic cv, been there done it and got the t-shirt.
Poyet - Mouthy, Stroppy, Arrogant, 1 Promotion, Childish, Self promotional.

I've no doubt the club is in safe hands.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Great article.

Hopefully the Barber out brigade will read it and pipe down for a bit.

Unlikely though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Excellent read, and everything Barber says makes full sense for those willing to listen.

The income is the highest in the division for clubs without parachute money, but costs/staffing have been found to be excessive compared to competitors. You can therefore see quite rightly that the club needs to rake in more money from all sources including us, and there will be staffing cuts, to comply with the MANDATORY FL FFP rules. All this is true and will remain so, whether some make Barber a hate figure or not.

Well 30,000 people could hardly eat any more pies n pints, unless the club devises a means whereby everybody who wants to buy a pie and a pint at half time is able to do so. That's got to be worth 50K minimum per game for starters. Getting rid of a few stewards is hardly going to make more than a dent in the deficit. Seems to me that to keep the business model valid, the price of tickets is going to have to rise dramatically.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Barber- Total professional, fantastic cv, been there done it and got the t-shirt.
Kevtherev - Mouthy, Stroppy, Arrogant, Childish, Self promotional.

I've no doubt the club is in safe hands.

Corrected for you. He doesn't mention Poyet at all and you still manage to bring it back to that.

I reckon you've found out that Poyet is your Dad who abandoned you at birth. The vitriol is quite unnecessary.

happygull

Dec 28, 2011
Great journalism Walt - Could do with some like you at the official press conferences - didn't hold back, asking challenging questions which can't have been easy to answer.

Barber responded well - The fans understand the need to remain financially competitive especially under the FFP - and with the highest league attendances in the league, and amongst the highest ticket prices that shouldn't be a problem. The main thing is that he communicates with us before making any commercial decisions which threaten the identity and match day experience of BHAFC. He's got a tough job, and Brighton fans won't come calling for his head unless there is good reason to.

You are so precious aren't you, all I have read tonight is your ramblings along the line of what a crap job Barber is doing .... I would hate to have money invested in a business where idiots (if the cap fits) have a say in commercial decisions.

if you don't like what is going on at BHAFC then do something else on a Saturday afternoon

How about making this thread a sticky so all the Barber haters can read it and slither back under their rocks

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
the only one i don't like from Barber is, "Provides us with valuable fan data." computers studying fan types so they can be targetted - its a sign of the times, but still kind of toxic.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Barber is employed to ensure BHAFC meets certain new FFP regulations so love him or loath him he has a clear remit.

Personally I totally understand what he is employed to do and have no issue with it.

For those harping for football of 20 years you will need to look to Sussex County League team as football has changed considerably and is now totally business orientated, the stuff of dreams and aspirations are long gone as money talks.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
At least he's being honest about bleeding us all dry. It's a lot of change happening too quickly for most. We have gone from small fry to multi-million in 2 years and he wants this rate of growth to continue. I think it's unsustainable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here