Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You make a good write up there,but how on earth have you only made 9 (NINE) posts since 2003?

I was on NSC before the reboot, but all the FGing and whatnot did my head in. The 'mailing list' was the place for me. Oh, and back in 2003 I rediscovered the joys of my job during the day . . . . anyway, I'm back and Kicking Bottom :)

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
witnessing a steward v fan related incident which was obviously going to result in some chucking out a very bizarre thing happened and i still have no idea how it occurred,there was some tugging,pushing and shoving then lo and behold the steward had been completely debagged.
He was just standing there in his high viz jacket black shoes and socks and some unflattering white Y fronts.
Next to him was an equally bemused Albion fan holding a pair of trousers with an expression that just read....."bugger"

Last edited:

Yossarian

3rd Battalion
Apr 26, 2013
By the Adur
witnessing a steward v fan related incident which was obviously going to result in some chucking out a very bizarre thing happened and i still have no idea how it occurred,there was some tugging,pushing and shoving then low and behold the steward had been completely debagged.
He was just standing there in his high viz jacket black shoes and socks and some unflattering white Y fronts.
Next to him was an equally bemused Albion fan holding a pair of trousers with an expression that just read....."bugger"

Haha, brilliant.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was on NSC before the reboot, but all the FGing and whatnot did my head in. The 'mailing list' was the place for me. Oh, and back in 2003 I rediscovered the joys of my job during the day . . . . anyway, I'm back and Kicking Bottom :)

At this rate you will double the number of posts in a ten minute period than you managed in total in ten years.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I remember that Peter Smith mistake, but to be honest I couldn't say which game or remember many other moments on the pitch as most of it was so awful. Matchday experiences that stick in the mind more are:

1. Cloudy skies as we crossed the county border into Kent on most days (whoever said Kent was The Garden of England?).
2. Breaking down on the A229 as the clutch on my Cavalier finally gave out.
3. Pre-match drinks in The Cricketers queuing 7 deep at the bar and occasionally enjoying the sunshine in the beer garden.
4. Being served Bovril at the Kiosk that turned out to be Marmite (which doesn't dissolve) lying in a lump at the bottom of a cup of hot water.
5. Moving from Terrace to Seated area and back to Terrace again whenever we felt like it because there was more than enough room for everyone.
6. Deflecting a wayward pre-match practice shot away from my girlfriend's face (now wife) and into the face of a small child stood 15 feet behind us.
7. Getting to recognise almost every fan.

I do remember Rod Thomas being generally too skillful for his teammates and Mark Ormerod and Nicky Rust diving around desperately and picking the ball out of their net alot.

It was an experience! If you weren't there (and I really don't blame you), then I recommend getting hold of a copy of the official matchday compilation video from that era called 'The Priestfield Tapes'. You will be amazed at how poor the football was and how far we've come.

the "Brian Horton's Blue & White Army" chant that didn't stop when Barnet scored
Gabbiadini's hat trick
Richie Barker being names MOM when he had been substituted after about 55? minutes
the odd shaped St John's Ambulance staff who had to run to the furthest parts of the pitch (small female carrying stretcher)
the tressle table and van that was the mobile/club shop
saying hello to almost every Albion fan
players acknowleding you individually when they ran out
Ifejiagwa's only home appearance
Uri Geller
the Rod Thomas save
getting back to my car and finding it in one piece after every match

Brilliant posts.

Oh my memory is my father, map reading and being the excellent cartographer he is, mistook the services for a junction, sending us on a long trip up the motorway and missed the start of the game.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
I remember the god awful long train journeys there and back. Good piss up though.

My mate getting a parking ticket when he parked down some side street. He was not best pleased that day.

To be honest like many have said, the football was so poor back then, that i have few if any memories of the games played there.

happiest day was when we left that hole!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Thank you for the reply and your avatar looks great,reminds me of a football album of years gone by and you take it steady now 13 posts,you'll be going out with girls next :lol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes the st johns ambulance people...remember the huge bloke who looked like a giant version of Eric morecambe?

Elms

May 11, 2004
Horsham
Getting my first Albion season ticket.
For those who experienced those lows, the highs of recent years are even sweeter.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
And who could forget the magical silky skills of our loan player from QPR....one Michael Mahony Johnson....the worst p-layer ever to put on a Brighton shirt....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... The games were awful, and the only bit of class on show was Minton. Whatever happened to him?
That proves how bad we were then. Minton was indeed class for us, but in general football terms he was a shocking player. After us, and with a well-overinflated sense of his own abilities, he went to Port Vale (in what is now the Championship) and sank without trace. He went briefly to Rotherham (where he was shit), and then went to Orient and failed there as well. Don't know what happened to him after that, I guess like all failed League players he went non-League where he could look good again.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
That proves how bad we were then. Minton was indeed class for us, but in general football terms he was a shocking player. After us, and with a well-overinflated sense of his own abilities, he went to Port Vale (in what is now the Championship) and sank without trace. He went briefly to Rotherham (where he was shit), and then went to Orient and failed there as well. Don't know what happened to him after that, I guess like all failed League players he went non-League where he could look good again.

Yep. Ended his career at Chelmsford City I believe.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I used to take my eldest, then a baby to Priestfield, he would sleep in the car and then sit on my lap for the game. So as not to disturb anyone else we would sit on our own. There was a female steward, who would regularly give us a pitying look, as we took our seat. Anyway one game I got there and looked down and there was a hedgehog under my seat. Well, I thought I best report this, as it seemed a little unusual, but the only response I got was "oh is there ?" and then she walked off.

Towards the end of the Priestfield era, I had to stop taking son number one. He was trying to get past the nappy phase and I had to take him to the toilet and managed to miss the only goal from a miserable run of about 5 games.

Great memories eh ! Beats queueing more than 5 minutes for a pie and a pint, or taking more than 30 minutes to get home from a packed modern stadium ?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

He picked up a few injuries towards the end of his Albion career and I am not sure he was ever the same player again. Along with Culverhouse, the Ginger Prince, Richie the Bear and the sporadic Rod Thomas, one of the few worth watching from that era.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
The best - the greasy spoon cafe just round the corner from the ground.
The worst- driving all the way there only to discover I'd left my season ticket behind and having to pay on the gate!
As for the actual games- I can't remember much about any if them, they were so memorable!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Paying £2 to get in as a child. Half the people doing it had beards.

Ozzy

Prince Albert
Mar 17, 2008
Hangleton
I have a vivid memory of some spectacular pieces of mis-control by the genius that was Paul Sturgess. Great thread by the way :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports