Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do play-off winners get a 'cup'?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Just WRONG in every way. It's bad enough they get to play at Wembley, but considering the second placed team don't even get a trophy to see them parading silverware around the pitch for finishing 6th or whatever is just nonsense.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
They didn't get a cup when the playoffs were first introduced.

But at the end of the final, the players kinda didn't know what to do with themselves, so they started giving the winners a cup to give the celebrations a focal point.

I agree though, it's a bit crap.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just WRONG in every way. It's bad enough they get to play at Wembley, but considering the second placed team don't even get a trophy to see them parading silverware around the pitch for finishing 6th or whatever is just nonsense.

Wrong. It's bad enough that the FA Cup Semi-finalists play at Wembley. Can't see what your beef is about the Play-off final being played there is?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Second place do get a trophy.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

I agree. If it was up to me I'd simplify the play-offs like this:

3 plays 6 at 3's ground. (one-off knockout game)
4 plays 5 at 4's ground. (one-off knockout game)
The final match is played at whoever finished highest in the league's ground. (one-off knockout game)

This way you get more of an advantage for your league position and nobody gets a trip to Wembley and a trophy for finishing 6th.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Wrong. It's bad enough that the FA Cup Semi-finalists play at Wembley. Can't see what your beef is about the Play-off final being played there is?

Because the best teams in the division don't get to play there. Bradford finished 7th! But my main beef is they win a trophy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They get a trophy, because they've won. I like it.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Genuine question : Would these threads be here had you won against Swindon and against us on Monday?

Yes.
We've had play off discussions many times, as I'm sure you have. Plenty of people don't agree with them, whether we are in them or not.

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012
I don't mind play off winners getting a cup what I hate is the fact that you can finish 2nd-6th in the premier league and qualify for the champions league! Its not bloody champions its champions plus next best 5 runners up. What a load of shite!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't mind play off winners getting a cup what I hate is the fact that you can finish 2nd-6th in the premier league and qualify for the champions league! Its not bloody champions its champions plus next best 5 runners up. What a load of shite!

What ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Bring back the Inter Cities Fairs cup.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Team that finishes behind the last "automatic" spot goes up.

It has deserved it.Or do the league tables lie ?

The play offs are stupid.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

The final match is played at whoever finished highest in the league's ground. (one-off knockout game)

This way you get more of an advantage for your league position and nobody gets a trip to Wembley and a trophy for finishing 6th.

All these games a played at Wembley simply to rake in funds to offset the costs of its build

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012

What don't you understand? I will say it again for you. I think it is wrong for any club other than the champions of their league to gain entry to a competition called the Champions league. The old system was better runners up and beyond go into the UEFA cup (what Chelsea just won). Won't happen again now as too much money involved

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
No skin off my nose if the PO winners are given a cup. Well done to them. Weird thing to get upset about.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

I think he was saying 'What?' about was the fact it's only the top 4 that qualify for the Champions League, not the top 6.

I think it's perfectly fine as it is :shrug:

Team that finishes behind the last "automatic" spot goes up.

It has deserved it.Or do the league tables lie ?

The play offs are stupid.

Surely if they're so good they should be able to beat 4th or 5th and 6th in the play-offs?
It also keeps the teams as low as 10th interested as the season draws to a close. How boring would it be if you were 4th but had no chance of catching 3rd on the last day. It just makes more games more meaningful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here