Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Estate Car or People Carrier

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Now is the time for me to "upgrade" my Golf GTI which I love into a more practical family man mobile.

So NSC, do I go for a people carrier or an estate car?

Any recommendations on either? Will be looking to buy one thats a couple of years old. No preference on make etc.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Now is the time for me to "upgrade" my Golf GTI which I love into a more practical family man mobile.

Any recommendations on either? Will be looking to buy one thats a couple of years old. No preference on make etc.

I hate people carriers but needed a car with at least 3 proper size seats in the back ( not that pathetic half seat in the middle ). Looked at both the Peugeot 5006 and the Mazda 5 - both decent cars. Brought the Mazda 5 in the end - the sliding back doors are a god send ! It looks and feels very much an estate car but with the benefits of a people carrier.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
If fuel costs aren't an issue then I would suggest a Subaru impressa wrx estate....best of both worlds, performance and practicality.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Go 4x4 for the ultimate family wagon, loads of space and great to own!

Otherwise, Toyota avensis estate diesel, great car that will never let you down!

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I hate people carriers but needed a car with at least 3 proper size seats in the back ( not that pathetic half seat in the middle ). Looked at both the Peugeot 5006 and the Mazda 5 - both decent cars. Brought the Mazda 5 in the end - the sliding back doors are a god send ! It looks and feels very much an estate car but with the benefits of a people carrier.

Thanks will check both of those out.

What engine did you get in the Mazda 5

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Regularly 5 with sometimes up to 7.

Definitely have a look at the two I've mentioned then - both officially 7 seaters although the Mazda is in reality 6 1/2.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
If fuel costs aren't an issue then I would suggest a Subaru impressa wrx estate....best of both worlds, performance and practicality.

Fuel Costs in the Golf are high enough, so not sure an Impreza is a winner sadly

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Thanks will check both of those out.

What engine did you get in the Mazda 5

There's two models but I can't remember the exact cut off year. No idea on the old model but with the newer model there's only two choices 1.6 diesel and 2.0 petrol. I've got the petrol one and while it's going to feel rather sluggish compared to your GTI it's not too bad.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Mazda cheap to buy, but heard there a rip off to repair for parts etc..

Bmw x5, 7 seater will do you fine :)

I'm surprised you've heard that - I asked at the independent garage that I use and their reply was that Mazda's were fairly reasonable to service and rarely went wrong. Then again, they were probably comparing that to the cost of keeping my Renault on the road at the time !

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Regularly 5 with sometimes up to 7.

Strewth. I would recommend an Alhambra, Galaxy or Sharan. Essentially the same vehicle but different badges. My dad has got an old P reg Galaxy and it's bomb proof. It's a full on 7 seater too, so none of this pathetic middle seat malarkey. The diesel is the preferable engine.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex

Wife's had a Toyota Verso 1.8 petrol 7 seater for about 6 years (used 54 plate when we got it) - no problems ever.

Rear 2 seats a bit cramped (ok for little ones) but a good size boot when used as a 5 seater.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
My wife enjoys the sliding doors on the Mazda.

An X5 would be nice tho. Or a Range Rover Vogue

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here