Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spiders in the Garden

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
was outside smoking last night and saw this beast of a spider and took a photo. biggest i have ever seen wild in this country. only on later inspection of the photo's i took did i see the other adult in the crack of the brickwork and the baby just underneath the big one on the left. could anyone on here who knows a little about arachnids please tell me the species.

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not an expert but that is one of the big boys. Quite intimidating and quite fast moving as I recall when I tried to dispose of it with my usual pint glass/ sheet of paper routine.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
That is one big mather****er

I wouldn't go out in the garden again, atleast you don't have to worry about foxes taking libertys in your garden, boris will ****ing eat the fool.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It looks like a house spider... the type you see scuttling about in the house in the winter.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
was outside smoking last night and saw this beast of a spider and took a photo. biggest i have ever seen wild in this country. only on later inspection of the photo's i took did i see the other adult in the crack of the brickwork and the baby just underneath the big one on the left. could anyone on here who knows a little about arachnids please tell me the species.
iirc the males of the spider species are a lot smaller than the females so it may well have been the partner rather than the baby - wouldn't have thought you'd see the baby(ies) at the same time as the mother anyway.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
iirc the males of the spider species are a lot smaller than the females so it may well have been the partner rather than the baby - wouldn't have thought you'd see the baby(ies) at the same time as the mother anyway.

there are 3 in the photo, a really small one and two big ones.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
That's a turd-eating spider. Good at clearing the garden of unwanted dollops, but certainly not one you want to walk through the brown webbing of.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It's a Tegenaria Gigantea male. Otherwise known as the giant House Spider. Like several species of Spiders native to Britain it can cause a significant bite.

When I worked in A&E we used to see one or two a year. Like a wasp sting.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Funtography_spider_0444.jpg

This fecker crawled out me duvet this morning.

Still...I've had worse.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I bloody hate spiders. Always try and catch them if I find them in the house (with a glass obviously) and chuck em outside. Better than clearing up squashed arachnid!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Incidentally, when you see a spider scuttling across the floor and then it suddenly stops, as if someone has pressed the pause button, it's because it has used up all the oxygen in its blood. When it stops it's actually breathing through its KNEES to re- oxygenate then off it goes again.

My other half thought they were stopping because they could hear her screaming. Silly cow.

Sussax

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Not an expert but that is one of the big boys. Quite intimidating and quite fast moving as I recall when I tried to dispose of it with my usual pint glass/ sheet of paper routine.

They're the one's that you chuck a book at.

Guinness World Records, is a good one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here