Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet My Lord

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Echo every word. He should be in the unchallenged legends pantheon. Maybe expectations have gone too high and that explains why he doesn't get the acknowledgement he deserves.

Centurion

Sep 2, 2012
I agree, look where we were in league 1 when he took over and look at us now. People forget to easy. Who has been a better manager in recent times, and when have we played such quality football.
I for one love Gus.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
For those with time and/or inclination, a blog post I've written on the train back from Leeds about the great man that is Gus and why he is not loved enough by the Albion faithful.

Gus Poyet My Lord | thelegalbratblawg

Excellent. Fully agree with this. Gus is what confirms the Albion as one of the sexiest, trendy clubs in the country. He might well go in the summer but he will leave us with an attractive identity that I suspect will persist for quite a while.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For those with time and/or inclination, a blog post I've written on the train back from Leeds about the great man that is Gus and why he is not loved enough by the Albion faithful.

Gus Poyet My Lord | thelegalbratblawg

Nicely written, but I think you overstate how much a dozen or so incessantly negative posters on an internet forum, reflect the views of Albion fans in general. I love Gus, and I firmly believe that is true of the overwhelming majority of Albion fans.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Don't get me wrong, I thought Mullery was a God,however he did take over a team that was nine tenths on the way to being a great side, and he did complete the job, but Gus has taken over a side that was not good, in the bottom half of Div 3(old money), and built them into a team baring no resemblance to that team, to within 3 games of the Premiership, spending very little in comparison to others, and playing a brand of football I thought would be impossible for the team I have supported all my life.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I don’t think the Brighton crowd have ever really taken to him. I mean *really* taken to him.

???

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It's a tough one to me Mullery edges it now but Gus is not far behind win the play offs and get to the premiership and he has matched Mullery anything better than that and Gus becomes top dog. Personally I think most people do respect Gus for what he has delivered and it's just a few vocal critics. He's not perfect and does make mistakes but we are lucky to have him although he is also lucky to have us at this time

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
Maybe the 'Gus factor' has been slightly diluted by the 'Amex effect'. If he had come into the club with infrastructure already in place and done what he's done then we'd be raving about him even more than we are...

If we get promoted this year I think there would be an argument to call him our best ever manager. It's all about opinions though isn't it? He's already a legend to me...

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Not 100% in agreement, I think lots of Albion fans love him. I'll probably cry the day he leaves us!
I also think that he's growing to love the club. Of course he didn't when he first got here, but that doesn't mean he doesn't now or won't by the time he leaves us.

Agree with the rest of it though.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It riles me that some come on here, spouting that Gus is touting himself for this job and that job, when allthe evidence is that he has not spoken to any other club about a vacancy, thaty he keeps banging on about the lack of budget here, when to my mind he is just trying to damp down over inflated expectations, and with his lack of crucial signings at important stages in the clubs development, when in fact he has signedsome of the best talent I have seen at this clkub in forty years.Sorry abou t the rant,but I believe he is the best ever manager of our club,and I for one would not swop him for anyone in this Division

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Echo every word. He should be in the unchallenged legends pantheon. Maybe expectations have gone too high and that explains why he doesn't get the acknowledgement he deserves.

So you'd understand why he might play the DS next week, and not ask for your money back? ???

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I like the sentiment, but disagree in part:

- Gus' interview after the Palace win shows me that he has a modicum of affection for us.
- We do not actually know that he spoke to Reading do we? Certainly if he did, it was essentially to tell them to go away.
- We know he wants to manage in the Prem. He has always said that he would do this hopefully with us. I think he has genuinely been surprised at how far we have come and especially at how the fans are filling the Amex week in week out. When he joined, the Amex was still a dream which many thought we would not fill. It has surpassed everybody's expectations including his. There are not that many jobs out there now that can be as attractive as this one, so I am not so sure now about how much of a stepping stone we are. We are still one, but nothing like so much of an obvious one anymore.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So you'd understand why he might play the DS next week, and not ask for your money back? ???
Yeah, if it meant we won the Play-offs, I also understand that Gus sees far more off his squad than I do, so having been involved in professional football for as long as he has he probally has more Idea of what is good for the team than I do. And I also think he wants promotion as much as any of us,and would do his utmost to achieve it

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yeah, if it meant we won the Play-offs, I also understand that Gus sees far more off his squad than I do, so having been involved in professional football for as long as he has he probally has more Idea of what is good for the team than I do. And I also think he wants promotion as much as any of us,and would do his utmost to achieve it

That's exactly my point LLF, and I agree entirely with what you say. The poster I quoted was suggesting in an earlier post that he would have issues with Gus playing a weakened team against Wolves, and yet hails him as a legend on this thread. Odd behaviour.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He will be managing in the PL very soon, one way or another.

And learns fast even where he has/had failings. Following the debacle of the £3.25m overpaid on CMS, look at his transfer and loan signings last Summer and this January:

Bridge
Lopez
Upson
Kuzschak
Orlandi
Ulloa
Hammond
Bruno

I would say each has been a success; that's some hit rate.

Newcastle fans called for his appointment as Pardew's successor on national radio tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here