Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Queens Road Shop

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Every time I go in there or merely walk past - the staff outnumber the customers on a 5:1 ratio. The staff are usually sitting on the cash desks, tickets enquiries desks chatting/moaning, and the customer service is dire if you ever manage to get their attention to make your purchase.
Hope these are volunteers as I dread to think how much the shop costs the club in staff.

Last edited:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Last time I went in there it was the exact same for me! 3 members of staff chatting at the till, and 1 behind the ticket counter.

Felt a bit uneasy being only 1 of two customers in there.

Oct 25, 2003
Every time I go in there or merely walk past - the staff outnumber the customers on a 5:1 ratio. The staff are usually sitting on the cash desks, tickets enquiries desks chatting/moaning, and the customer service is dire if you ever manage to get their attention to make your purchase.
Hope these are volunteers as I dread to think how much the shop costs the staff.

yeah it always seems dead in there....not sure there's ever been more than 2 other customers in there whenever i've been since the amex one opened, and as you say the staff always outnumber the customers

not convinced we really have the commerical presence to really justify having more than one club shop really....i wonder how many championship clubs have 2 shops?

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
yeah it always seems dead in there....not sure there's ever been more than 2 other customers in there whenever i've been since the amex one opened, and as you say the staff always outnumber the customers

not convinced we really have the commerical presence to really justify having more than one club shop really....i wonder how many championship clubs have 2 shops?

Portsmouth have two shops

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I would assume now most tickets are sold on line or at the stadium - where there's also a better shop and free parking on non matchdays - there's little interest in the town centre shop. I can't actually remember the last time I went in there.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Never had a problem in there myself, went in on Saturday midday ish, very helpful, sadly out of stock of what I wanted, but the shop was doing business :shrug:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Its not in the best location, the foot flow which must go past the shop isnt great, obviously rent in the shopping centre will be a lot dearer but I think it would get a lot more customers popping in and out.

Oct 25, 2003
Its not in the best location, the foot flow which must go past the shop isnt great, obviously rent in the shopping centre will be a lot dearer but I think it would get a lot more customers popping in and out.

i'd imagine the foot flow is pretty high, it's just most of the people that are walking on that road are on the way to/from the station so not really looking for a postcard with ryan harleys face on it

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
If the Amex was closer to the centre of Brighton, the club would probably have dispensed with the Queens Road site. As it is, I think it serves a decent purpose.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
My point was the 6 members of staff in there standing around. Why so many?

Oct 25, 2003
If the Amex was closer to the centre of Brighton, the club would probably have dispensed with the Queens Road site. As it is, I think it serves a decent purpose.

i think we probably do need some sort of presence in the city centre, i know some foreign folks who only heard of the albion after walking past the club shop, and then went to a few games....not sure a shop that size is necessary though

but i guess if it was losing THAT much money then we'd have got rid....probably worth a small loss just to have a visible outlet in the city centre, particularly one that is on everyones route from the station to the centre

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Since St Mary's opened, Southampton have had a smallish shop in WestQuay shopping centre, even when they were in League 1. As the club haven't moved into one of the empty units in Churchill Square I can only presume it's more economically viable to have a larger unit in Queens Road than a smaller one in CS.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Not all of it is, some is (what shop doesn't sell some), but by no means all.

Ok - I'll take back the poor quality bit, but it is terribly overpriced in my opinion. Then again, most football shirts are. Do you ever envisage a day when you can get the replica shirts in places like 'Sports Direct'?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
i think we probably do need some sort of presence in the city centre, i know some foreign folks who only heard of the albion after walking past the club shop, and then went to a few games....not sure a shop that size is necessary though

but i guess if it was losing THAT much money then we'd have got rid....probably worth a small loss just to have a visible outlet in the city centre, particularly one that is on everyones route from the station to the centre

Exactly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here