Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Mechanics on Here? (Clutch / Clunking)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
MG ZR - FWD - Manual

Problem:
Medium/Loud 'Clunk' when changing gear. Loudest from 1st-2nd and the 'clunk' gets quieter the higher up the gears I go (and faster I'm going).
I get 2 'clunks' when going through each gear, once when pressing the clutch, and another when releasing.

The car feels absolutely fine, no shaking/shuddering, nothing out of the ordinary. Just a very audible 'clunk'..

The sound can be heard from the outside and I would say it's definitely from the front, towards the drivers side.

It does clunk when just depressing the clutch (w/o changing gear), however it is slightly louder and more noticeable when changing gear.

It only seems to make the noise when going up through the gears, I haven't noticed it at all when going down through the gears.

Taking it to a new garage tomorrow to get a diagnosis & quote, however if anyone has any answers or have had similar problems before, feel free to let me know. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If it's front wheel drive, you didn't say the car make, it could be wear in the drive shaft to the drivers side. Plus you say it does it just depressing the clutch I take it that's when you are moving? If so I stand by my diagnosis.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If it's front wheel drive, you didn't say the car make, it could be wear in the drive shaft to the drivers side. Plus you say it does it just depressing the clutch I take it that's when you are moving? If so I stand by my diagnosis.

Hey,

Apologies, it's n MG ZR - FWD.
I've been looking for tips online for the last 2 days and 2 common answers seem to be either;

Engine/gearbox mounts.
or
Loose 'dogbone' / rear brush for engine stabilizer.

As for the clutch, yes it's only when moving. It's only slight when just depressing the clutch (alone) and a little louder when changing gear.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Also a check you can do is reach under the drivers side, with the car in neutral and grab hold of the drive shaft and Stevie you can rotate it in either direction. If it does its worn and will give that knock as the slack is taken up or released.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Engine mounts could be the cause. Do you feel a knock through the floor?

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Where the heck did Stevie come from in my second post! See if. Bloody predictive text.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Where the heck did Stevie come from in my second post! See if. Bloody predictive text.

Haha, I had to double check that, thought I could be going mad!

I don't think I can feel it through the floor, if I can, it's only the tiniest bit if at all.
Do you think driving over a couple of big potholes in the last few days may have stuffed something under the car?

Thanks for your advice and tips so far matey, much appreciated. :cheers:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Agree with this. Should be able to tell just by opening the bonnet and looking in while getting someone else to rev engine and release clutch to biting point. Your engine lurching will be a big clue.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Dec 29, 2011
On a side note, I wonder if there are any profession that we don't have on NSC. Maybe a midwife, apart from that we must have most bases covered.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
it sounds like a stabliser link on the back of the engine/gearbox, engine mounts very rarely give problems these days

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
+1 on the engine mount diagnosis from me. If it only clunks when on the move then I'm pretty sure it's that. If it doesn't do it stationary then don't think it can be a clutch/drive shaft issue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have 54 plate Octavia 1.9 TDI that I think needs a new clutch, it slips in 6th gear, for which Mr Clutch quotes £300 unless it needs a new dual mass fly wheel? In which case it is another £350. Two questions for the sages of NSC what is the likelihood of it needing a new fly wheel as obviously it makes a difference to the viability and cost of the job and does this sound a good price?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Agree with this. Should be able to tell just by opening the bonnet and looking in while getting someone else to rev engine and release clutch to biting point. Your engine lurching will be a big clue.

+1 on the engine mount diagnosis from me. If it only clunks when on the move then I'm pretty sure it's that. If it doesn't do it stationary then don't think it can be a clutch/drive shaft issue.

Cheers guys, any idea if this is a quick and easy job or is it likely to cost me a fair few $$$ ?

Albion4Ev3R

Aug 23, 2010
Hove
New engine mount will most probably be a fair few $$$ because you have to remove the engine to replace or repair the mounts

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
New engine mount will most probably be a fair few $$$ because you have to remove the engine to replace or repair the mounts

I've changed engine mounts without removing the engine. You just support the engine and lever it off the affected mount.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here