Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rio Ferdinand withdraws from England squad - thin end of the wedge?

0 Not allowed!
    Withdrawn because playing for England conflicts with his personal fitness programme. Doesn't every player have a personal fitness programme? Seems Ferguson has finally won the battle with the FA, I can only see more similar withdrawals in the future. Another nail in the coffin for international football.
    "Unlawful, void and of no effect"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Rio is throwing his toys out of the pram. To a degree that's understandable, given the way Roy has talked about his International prospects previously (to people on the tube!), but still.

0 Not allowed!
      Upson to replace him?? ;)

0 Not allowed!
      Oxo-chamberlain interviewed saying how he's gutted Rio won't be playing. So a week ago Rio wasn't a factor and the team was comfortable with Cahill / Dawson or whatever, now extra pressure on that pair where there was none before. A right fine mess.
      "Unlawful, void and of no effect"

0 Not allowed!
      This personal fitness programme, is it about rehabilitating his top lip ?
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

" Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015
      bring on the trumpets.... upthealbion1970's Avatar

Rio Ferdinand withdraws from England squad - thin end of the wedge?

0 Not allowed!
      Rio was available when for England when he should have been charged for the incident with Torres. FA don't charge him and now he's not available because of his "personal fitness regime". If only there was an ex manure defender on the England staff who could have helped Rio
      you are under arrest for killing the quattro
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I think it show's a complete lack of commitment by Rio. He bleated at the first opportunity when he was originally left out (though of course, Hodgson discussing players international prospects on the tube is ridiculous). He has had a relatively good season and now has the opportunity to press home his international claim and decides to withdraw? Very poor.

If he was serious about representing his country he would have presented himself for training, no questions asked. If then, the medical team felt he was struggling then he could have been excused. I can't help but think of the young men (who didn't have a choice) in the first and second World Wars and who gave their lives for King and Country, and all Rio is doing is kicking a ball about.

Back injuries do need to be treated carefully (I really hope PIG, doesn't fly to Poland this week, looked like he had a spasm at the end of the Palace game), and Rio by his own admission is following a tailored programme to ensure his own fitness. I would therefore suggest, he permanently retires from international football, as presumably he will always need to follow this programme.

The other issue is that he is at the end of his career and really should make way for younger players. Internationally we have one of the oldest squads out of the premier European countries.

To Roy Hodgson's credit, he has previously suggested that Rio would only be selected if he was going to play, not to warm the bench, so I'm sure he would have started.

0 Not allowed!
      Does anyone actually give a toss about them lot anymore?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Withdrawn because playing for England conflicts with his personal fitness programme. Doesn't every player have a personal fitness programme? Seems Ferguson has finally won the battle with the FA, I can only see more similar withdrawals in the future. Another nail in the coffin for international football.
      It does look like Fergie has got his way. The personal fitness program is a red herring if you ask me. There was a journo at the weekend saying that the FA have a huge backroom fitness team and most players, to varying degrees, have personal fitness programs these days and the FA fitness team are experienced with handling specific and individual requirements.

I have to say Gus' approach to international call ups i.e. it's an honour and he will not stand in anyone's way, is very refreshing.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Solid at the back View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Does anyone actually give a toss about them lot anymore?
      Supporters aside, I'm not convinced the players see it as the pinnacle of their career. Some certainly dont bust a gut to play for their country these days.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."