Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No action against Rio Ferdinand, despite sarcastically clapping in referee's face

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
They are not taking action based on the referee's report. Perhaps Ferdinand apologised to the referee for his actions?

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
They are not taking action based on the referee's report. Perhaps Ferdinand apologised to the referee for his actions?

He did then shake the hands of all the officials. You could almost see the realisation on his face that he might get pulled up on it so back tracked and looked an ever bigger duck mouthed pillock for it. Jeez I dislike him. A LOT.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He went and shook the referees hand after and apologised, practically straight after he did it if you have the game recorded have a look. :thumbsup:

So I'd imagine the ref put that in his report and accepted Ferdinands handshake/apology.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If a Real Madrid player had gone in high with studs showing without regard for another player would all the Man United fans be calling out for a red card ?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
If a Real Madrid player had gone in high with studs showing without regard for another player would all the Man United fans be calling out for a red card ?

As the Madrid players and manager weren't, I think the answer is no in this particular instance.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He did then shake the hands of all the officials. You could almost see the realisation on his face that he might get pulled up on it so back tracked and looked an ever bigger duck mouthed pillock for it. Jeez I dislike him. A LOT.

Indeed. They definitely showed him shaking hands with all the officials after so I imagine he has apologised then.

Uefa, though often FAR from sensible, know it's not worth adding to the whole saga by handing out fines.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He went and shook the referees hand after and apologised, practically straight after he did it if you have the game recorded have a look. :thumbsup:

So I'd imagine the ref put that in his report and accepted Ferdinands handshake/apology.

This..... lucky the ref decided not to report it, however, it did look very bad for Man U's global image

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
As the Madrid players and manager weren't, I think the answer is no in this particular instance.

I was talking about the fans , not the players or manager.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

If the situation had been reversed I am quite certain that Fergie would have derided the referee for NOT sending off a Real player if someone had kicked Nani in the same way.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Manchester United defender Ro Ferdinand avoids UEFA censure | Manchester United Fixtures, News, Transfers | Sky Sports Football

Avoids punishment. Respect? ???

Fergie finger pointing and refusing to speak to the press was one thing, but Ferdinand's actions were the most ridiculous thing about the whole sorry charade.

its a wonder he can even stand with the weight of those huge chips he has on his shoulders.
I would'nt mind if he was a half decent player he is not.
the whole of the MU set up is that of a profit making company they are no longer a football team

poor old Norman Hunter would be hung drawn and quartered if he was still playing
me thinks Nani had been watching the Cantona school of drop kicks before he went into the match

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I was talking about the fans , not the players or manager.

Sorry, yes, you did say fans. Answer is the same though. I watched it in the pub with a load of Madrid fans and they were expecting a booking. Can't say how the fans ithe stadium reacted but i'd imagine it would be the same. If it had been the other way round then i can't see why United fans would have acted differently.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No action against Rio Ferdinand, despite sarcastically clapping in referee's fa

As much as I dislike WGT I don't think he should be punished for being a bit sarcastic.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
This..... lucky the ref decided not to report it, however, it did look very bad for Man U's global image

It looked entirely in keeping with Man U's global image to be more accurate.
Man U players invented the art of surrounding/haranguing/abusing match officials if one of them dared to make a decision against Man U.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Good. Ferdinand's actions were more than justified by that incompetent decision.

Really?

I recall driving past a primary school a day or so after Eric Cantona's famous drop kick at Smelhurst.
The playground was full of little boys practicing Kung Fu kicks on their playmates.
There were so many doing it, it actually looked quite amusing and I stayed to watch for a few seconds, but the more serious point was how quickly the Cantona incident was being copied by little 9,10,11 year olds.

If you don't think that this coming weekend some 'clever' little kids will be sarcastically applauding referees in their junior footy games for a bad decision, then you must live in a bubble.

And that is the point that Pro Footballers like Mr Ferdinand seem to miss. They do not live in a bubble, they very much live in a goldfish bowl where every single action is scrutinised and frequently copied by little lads who aspire to be like them.

Ferdinand's actions were not justified.
He was being a twat of the highest order and he very much deserved punishment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here