Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Another micro pub popping up in Worthing. This time opposite the Thomas A Becket pub, in what was the printer cartridge shop (!)

The Fox & Finch it will be called, set up by one of the bar staff at the Brookstead

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Another micro pub popping up in Worthing. This time opposite the Thomas A Becket pub, in what was the printer cartridge shop (!)

The Fox & Finch it will be called, set up by one of the bar staff at the Brookstead

Not sure to be happy or sad on this.

I have a cartridge I need to return to swap for the correct one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You would think so, my understanding was that they plotted up in Berlin so they could brew for the European market, perhaps they will be based elsewhere or the numbers weren't quite what they expected.

They’re going to rent capacity from Brewdog so they’ll still be brewing some beer here. As I understand it they simply didn’t get the sales they needed/expected. They never had a footholding in Europe so they took a big gamble....it could be argued it was a bit arrogant to build such a big brewery with limited sales.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure to be happy or sad on this.

I have a cartridge I need to return to swap for the correct one.

When I first heard a licensing application had gone in at this address I wondered who on earth still bought cartridges from shops. Think I found one [emoji23]

Pickles

May 5, 2014
When I first heard a licensing application had gone in at this address I wondered who on earth still bought cartridges from shops. Think I found one [emoji23]

Ah ha, but they were the same price in reality as online for mine, and very local, but point taken :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
https://www.brightoncraftbeerfestival.co.uk

Any one heading to this?

Seemed good until I saw the ticket price.

£55 ****ing quid!

It is all in, and some quality breweries there... that said it’s their first festival. For a new festival I swerved it as potential for the organisation to be a bit crap, and the venue is a bit meh.

Also on Craft beer subject, from memory there was a poster on here that ran Lost + Grounded, seemed to start well with decent beers and then went bust. Looks like Beer52 have got involved, moved production to Belgium.

Brighton Bier aren’t happy and there’s a blog at http://www.brightonbier.com/what-price-provenance.html#

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
https://www.brightoncraftbeerfestival.co.uk

Any one heading to this?

Seemed good until I saw the ticket price.

£55 ****ing quid!

Without being snobby, your £55 gets you about 11 halves I would reckon, I'd have no problem doing this thanks to my overseas training in Belgium, however I won't be going. I would suggest that the Hanover Beer Festival( 4th-5th October ) will be far better and far cheaper because the beer won't carry the expensive prefix of " Craft ".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is all in, and some quality breweries there... that said it’s their first festival. For a new festival I swerved it as potential for the organisation to be a bit crap, and the venue is a bit meh.

Also on Craft beer subject, from memory there was a poster on here that ran Lost + Grounded, seemed to start well with decent beers and then went bust. Looks like Beer52 have got involved, moved production to Belgium.

Brighton Bier aren’t happy and there’s a blog at http://www.brightonbier.com/what-price-provenance.html#

Read the article, quite an interesting read, I certainly see where they are coming from. It seems when there is money to be made, scruples go out of the window as usual.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Without being snobby, your £55 gets you about 11 halves I would reckon, I'd have no problem doing this thanks to my overseas training in Belgium, however I won't be going. I would suggest that the Hanover Beer Festival( 4th-5th October ) will be far better and far cheaper because the beer won't carry the expensive prefix of " Craft ".

Went to this a few weeks ago:

SUSSEX BREWERY YARD PARTY - SOLD OUT

LOCATION: DARK STAR BREWERY, STAR ROAD, INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, 22, PARTRIDGE GREEN RH13 8RA
DATE: 01/06/19

Had an amazing time and spent £30 - £35 including ticket drinking all I could manage (probably about 11 half’s!). Great food and music too. I think the festival next week is a rip off in comparison.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Interesting article. And yes someone on this board did start up L+F.

I can see where Brighton Bier are coming from, and I agree with their thinking and stance. But I struggle to get too worked up about this sort of thing. It’s a bit like when your favourite Indy band sells out; there’s plenty of other bands to go and support and listen to and this is only if they’ve become unpalatable.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
So what beers/styles have folks been drinking of late?

I've started to get into fruit IPA's. The best example I've tried is a tangerine sour IPA by Neon Raptor, since trying that beer I've got my hands on some of their other beers and they have all been outstanding particularly Amethyst which is a Turkish Delight and Mint Chocolate Imperial Milk Stout.

Also I'm really enjoying Brut IPAs which seem to be quite popular these days.

Jul 7, 2003
Had a Beetroot and Tzatziki Sour the other day. Sounds disgusting but was surprisingly refreshing. Initial taste was of cucumber and mint with a gentle beetroot taste as it hit the back of the throat.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Holler are shutting down completely. Looks like the owner fell out with Fatto Mano (who own the land) and left the company.

Unbarred are taking over the bar + brewing site

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Holler are shutting down completely. Looks like the owner fell out with Fatto Mano (who own the land) and left the company.

Whilst sad news regarding Holler I'll be interested in what unbarred will do with the space. Jordan who's the head brewer is a top bloke who makes some cracking beers. He's also put in the miles to get where he is today.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Well that's a right ******* ! I only managed one trip to the Holler Tap Room and now I won't get back before it closes. It will be dreadful if the Holler beers are never brewed again as they were cracking.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well that's a right ******* ! I only managed one trip to the Holler Tap Room and now I won't get back before it closes. It will be dreadful if the Holler beers are never brewed again as they were cracking.

I think we are there before the Saints game in two weeks which is the weekend of the new opening

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think we are there before the Saints game in two weeks which is the weekend of the new opening

So, are they going to change the name to Unbarred Taproom and throw out all the Holler Boys Glassware ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here