Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Miners Strike

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Unions simply do not work

i got a job abroad once and was forced to join the union or i couldnt start work,so i reluctantly paid up,only to be told within a minute of paying up everyone was going on strike the next day because there were too many foreign workers like me.

needless to say i was slightly confused.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
to be honest I see blair as the natural consequence of thatcherism. one is not worse nor better than the other. They are the same system responding to different circumstances. Whicxh is why I wont vote for any of the 3 main parties. same story with a different colour badge.

Is the truth.

No major parties represent their people, all represent the richest lobby groups, banking and business organisations.

Given a choice of governments being controlled by trade unions (represeting the people) or corporations, banks and lobby groups (representing themselves) i know which i would choose.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Anyone who voted for either Blair or Thatcher were unfortunately sucked in by their respective personality cult. Fortunately I never voted for either.

Saddens me about our system that people will defend either party irrespective of their politics.

Anyone truly left wing would have hated Blair. Voting for him is exactly like buying an Apple product and claiming to be open minded and different from the crowd.

Anyone who has bothered to read a political history book would realise that Thatcher would have treated Dave and Gideon with the utmost suspicion.

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
Great video, but like almost all of these type of things only tells one side of the story.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Remind me - was it Thatcher who called the miners out on an unofficial and unballoted strike or was it Arthur Scargill? A lot of the unpleasantness was due to the actions of the strikers against those who wanted to carry on working because they had never had a chance to vote for or against the strike. Also Scargill was determined to bring down the (democratically elected) Tory governement because he didn't like it. Pit closures were just his excuse to get a strike going which he thought would bring the country to it's knees.

Scargill was Thatchers puppet whether he knew it or not , he played into her hands time and time again thick ****, the miners deserved every thing they got for following him.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I have never needed to go that far.

As a UK Chartered Accountant then I would guess you are in the ICAEW which a professional association and NOT a trades union.

I'll repeat the question do the ICAEW collectively bargain for your hourly rates and other terms and conditions with your Employer and could they call out Chartered Accountants on strike if required ?

I suspect no and no are the answers.....

I'm not saying being a member of a Professional Body is not of use in your career (I'm a member of two voluntarily and a further Governmental one rather more reluctantly) but they are not Trades Unions and they have very different functions in supporting their members.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I personally despise Blair for his weakness and his illegal war.

The right wingers that stick up for Thatcher are usually one of 2 types of people. Either they're self serving, money grubbing solipsists who benefited from her government and so didn't give a toss about the majority of the country who were getting shafted 6 ways from Sunday and didn't care that she rapidly accelerated the demise of this country because it didn't affect them immediately (bad luck, we're all f***ed now).

Or they're ex - squaddies whom Thatcher gave a war to. Essentially, brain washed young men who were told they were off to fight for the glory of England but were in fact fighting for a corrupt political agenda. Poor wee bastards that were killed for a territory Thatcher had declared many times before Britain does not care about.
In supporting Thatcher you are defending the indefensible.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I personally despise Blair for his weakness and his illegal war.

The right wingers that stick up for Thatcher are usually one of 2 types of people. Either they're self serving, money grubbing solipsists who benefited from her government and so didn't give a toss about the majority of the country who were getting shafted 6 ways from Sunday and didn't care that she rapidly accelerated the demise of this country because it didn't affect them immediately (bad luck, we're all f***ed now).

Or they're ex - squaddies whom Thatcher gave a war to. Essentially, brain washed young men who were told they were off to fight for the glory of England but were in fact fighting for a corrupt political agenda. Poor wee bastards that were killed for a territory Thatcher had declared many times before Britain does not care about.
In supporting Thatcher you are defending the indefensible.

Solipsists!! An NSC first?

Think you are a bit harsh on the squaddies though Nibster. Some of NSC's finest have done their duty.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Solipsists!! An NSC first?

Think you are a bit harsh on the squaddies though Nibster. Some of NSC's finest have done their duty.

Didn't mean to come across as anti-soldier. more anti the reasons they are sent, both with Blair and Thatcher

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here