Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How thick are students...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Can this not be pro-rata for different subjects? I dont mind my tax money fully subsidising someone to do a medical degree, I dont even mind part funding someone to learn about business or geography but if you want to do the History of Art? or Surfing?? you can pay for the whole thing yourself :mad:

This makes very good sense :thumbsup:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone watching the live coverage? Things being thrown from the roof, flaming bits thrown at the police, fires being set, people getting injured. How can this be any help to the student cause?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
At public college's the prices are very similar to England, however if you're talking about private college's then it is about treble the price in England!!

That's my point, although we really don't each community colleges here although we used to have Polytechs. The degrees from then were always considered of lower value as are those of their 'Community Colleges'.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No. They're more single minded about who should pay and how. How does that make them right?

You pay what it costs for your home, you pay what is costs for your car and so on, why should an education be any different ? You are supposed to benefit from having a degree are you not ? Part of the problem is that there far too many pointless courses, you get a degree and then you find it can't get you a job. I have two nephews with degrees but beither has a job that has anything to do with his degree.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I bet every one of those students has the latest iphone (funny when they have plenty of money to buy those sort of things but dont when it comes to educating themselves) taking 24/7 videos to try and incriminate the police.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You pay what it costs for your home, you pay what is costs for your car and so on, why should an education be any different ? .

ooh, you'll upset the cognescenti on here.

You pay what it costs for your home, you pay what is costs for your car and so on, why should an education be any different ? You are supposed to benefit from having a degree are you not ? Part of the problem is that there far too many pointless courses, you get a degree and then you find it can't get you a job. I have two nephews with degrees but beither has a job that has anything to do with his degree.

I agree with this, in part. However, making the massive assumption that a university education results in a better job (I agree that this should be the point of it), we already have a system that means graduates pay for it; the progressive income tax system. If I go to university (at the expense of the tax payer) and get a higher paid job as a result, I am then paying higher taxes, which will offset (and ultimately far in excess of pay for) the cost to the public purse of my university education.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
President of the National Union of Students Aaron Porter condemned the violence as "despicable".

"This was not part of our plan," he said.

Thickest person in the UK, Aaron Porter, it had to be obvious to everybody else in the whole country these layabouts and rentamobs would be looking to casue as much trouble as they could.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Generally students do lack common sense. It's something you can't learn at college.
I'd rather have common sense than an A-Level, but that's just me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I agree with this, in part. However, making the massive assumption that a university education results in a better job (I agree that this should be the point of it), we already have a system that means graduates pay for it; the progressive income tax system. If I go to university (at the expense of the tax payer) and get a higher paid job as a result, I am then paying higher taxes, which will offset (and ultimately far in excess of pay for) the cost to the public purse of my university education.

But what about those of us who didn't go to Uni but are paying EXACTLY the same higher tax rate as the graduates ? Surely they should pay something extra specifically towards the cost of their Uni education ?

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
In this democracy I as a citizen
reserve the right to stand up for what I believe in
In this democracy I as a citizen I’m not accountable to the government
In this democracy the government is accountable to us, the people
In this democracy the government is elected by us, the people
To represent us, the people
In our best interests, on a national and international scale
And if they’re not doing so, In this democracy,
I as a citizen reserve the right
To raise up...

u mad?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

....Which suggests to me a sliding scale is the way forward, the more likely the job leads to a job in that field, the lower the fee. Why should the poorest not be given a chance of self betterment for purely financial reasons? Surely a society like ours looks to protect the vulnerable.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Anna Tennant-Siren, a student at the University of Ulster in Coleraine, said: "I am here because it is important that students stand up and shout about what is going on.

"Politicians don't seem to care. They should be taking money from people who earn seven-figure salaries, not from students who don't have any money."

That was at the end of one of the BBC articles on the protests. I agree with most of the young lady's sentiments, but that last line clearly demonstrates that she doesn't understand the policy.

:facepalm:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Generally students do lack common sense. It's something you can't learn at college.
I'd rather have common sense than an A-Level, but that's just me.

It's hardly mutually exclusive. You never know, after going off to study for that degree, they may even come back knowing how to live on their own, change light bulbs, and even cook and clean for themselves.

Many people consider going away to a university as one of the best ways to learn common sense! :thumbsup:

But what about those of us who didn't go to Uni but are paying EXACTLY the same higher tax rate as the graduates ? Surely they should pay something extra specifically towards the cost of their Uni education ?

I should point out that I don't particularly agree with this viewpoint, I am merely putting it forward. I had no issue with paying to go to university, and don't have a problem with the next generation paying for it (and paying more), but I do have an issue with this mechanism of massive loans that they are persuing.

The argument (I would imagine) would go that I (as an individual) am only earning as much as I am due to my university education. If I hadn't gone, I wouldn't pay so much income tax, so that additional income tax 'pays for' my university education. The fact that you pay the higher rate without having gone to university is your own fault for being clever. :dunce:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

I agree with you but the problem is the number of degrees on fer which are not likely to get you employment. One of my nephews has a degree in Sports Management admittedly it's only a third because he's not that bright. The person who got him that job was his best mate at school, He left school at 16 and he's my nephew's boss. Not completely typical but it's not easy to use a Thrd apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here