Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I agree that it's OTT in places - it could be dialled down here and there (though the repetition underlines the constancy of self-harm for example). My take on the Harold & Julia 'bond' is that having replaced the son that Harold lost, they could never bin off Jude, who had essentially become Jacob to Harold.

I outlined the plot to my missus and she cannot fathom why I'd carry on with such a depressing, miserable story (she's an advocate for books as a happy escape and loves a Disney film :))

It’s a testament to the author that she can keep you reading while repeatedly presenting familiar ground, and yes, good point that it underscores the consistency, obsessiveness of the cutting behaviour. As I read it I did wonder how much, if any was drawn from the author’s own personal well, or from people she knew maybe, or through her former job as a journalist.

For some reason the use of ‘Judy’ really grated :lolol:

Yes, definitely not one for your other half by the sound of it :)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm just finishing Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall. Very interesting but easy to read guide to Geopolitics and how despite improvements in technology, Geography still plays such a massive impact on economics, trade, politics and war

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Superb book - go well!

Whole-heartedly recommend Stephen King's new book, Billy Summers. Only 40% through, but it feels like it's reaching it's conclusion, am struggling to put it down!

I used to love Stephen King’s books, The Stand is a particular favourite, however he seemed to lose it a bit around the time of It and the Tommyknockers. I seem to recall it was about the same time as he admitted to being over fond of the Colombian marching powder.

Is this a return to form?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Africa Solo - Mark Beaumont

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Want to Play? by P.J. Tracy, randomly selected from Seaford Library’s returns trolley at 11.54hrs today, well someone else had borrowed it so it’s got to be good...right?

:eek:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Another Fine Mess - Tim Moore

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
La Belle Sauvage - Philip Pullman. Nearing the end and had to put it down last night as I was home alone and got a bit scared. Not really had a book make me SCARED before.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
A Litter of Bones - JD Kirk

The Scottish Peter James.
Read one on holiday when I was up there.
Now working my way through the whole DCI Logan series.
If you like Peter James, you will love JD Kirk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Around India In 80 Trains - Monisha Rajesh

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The New Spaniards - John Hooper

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It's All Greek to Me - John Mole

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I used to love Stephen King’s books, The Stand is a particular favourite, however he seemed to lose it a bit around the time of It and the Tommyknockers. I seem to recall it was about the same time as he admitted to being over fond of the Colombian marching powder.

Is this a return to form?

Much the same.

I used to love his writing, but always preferred the ones with human monsters (Misery, Dolores Claireborne, for example) than any unrealistic supernatural stuff. The guy is (was?) an absolute master of tension.

Also loved The Stand - epic storytelling.

Then I read 'Under the Dome' and after being absolutely sucked in to a great, tense story, felt utterly cheated by the completely ridiculous cop out ending. It was so ridiculous, so lazy, that it basically felt like he'd stolen the last two weeks from me - getting engaged with and caring for these characters - for nothing. It somehow broke a trust, and I've read nothing of his since :shrug:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Currently re-re-reading Nick Mason's Inside Out - A Personal History of Pink Floyd. Love his dry humour and disarming honesty about their career!

Just also started James Acaster's Classic Scrapes which is already very funny indeed...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tyson Fury autobio this week - as you’d expect quite simple but some decent stories and really interesting as a character, definitely a lot more to him than your normal gypsy.

Secret DJ vol 1 - it’s ok, as I expected a bit wanky stories and fair few double standards etc.

Also have Jimmy Carr & Secret DJ Vol2 to finish before Monday

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Sweet Bells Jangled Out of Tune: A History of the Sussex Lunatic Asylum (St.Francis Hospital, Haywards Heath)

Actually a fascinating book. Just waiting for my great-great-grandma to make an appearance...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As I appear to be the only person in the country who hasn't read Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club, I thought I'd give it a go.

It's not the greatest book ever written but it does rattle along

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Between Extremes - Brian Keenan & John McCarthy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports