Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Christmas Train - David Baldacci. One of my top 5 authors

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Far Horizons - Frank Gardner

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I love Damien Lewis' books. This is another good 'un to add to the list. A truly remarkable generation that lived and fought through WW2.

sas.jpg

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
His book The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet is one of my favourite novels, but this latest is disappointing, and lacks the originality and quirkiness of his earlier novels. By the way, this is not David Mitchell the comedian/TV presenter/quiz-show panelist!

The premise of this books is promising - the formation and rise to fame of rock band in the late 1960s, but with eventual success marred by rivalries and tensions in the band, clashes with management over artistic control, and the sometimes negative impact of fame (how does a band continue writing songs about 'life on the street' and heartbreak when they are now living in luxury surrounded by groupies and hangers-on). Brighton sometimes features in the story too, as the location of some of the band's early gigs.

Yet the writing is often 'pedestrian' and uninspiring, and at 560 pages is far too long to maintain enthusiasm. Certainly nothing like (as good as) any of David Mitchell's previous books.
UA.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Attention All Shipping - Charlie Connelly

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Riding the Iron Rooster - Paul Theroux

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
The Final Innings (The Cricketers of summer 1939) by Christopher Sandford
Unpublished memoirs and diary entries.
200 first class cricketers signed up in the first year... 52 never came back.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Merde Happens - Stephen Clarke

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Final Innings (The Cricketers of summer 1939) by Christopher Sandford
Unpublished memoirs and diary entries.
200 first class cricketers signed up in the first year... 52 never came back.

That's on my list to read - looks very poignant.

England lost two test players, I think, Ken Farnes and the great Hedley Verity. He signed off his first class career by taking 7-9 against Sussex, bowling us out for 33. He was the major cricket casualty of the war but I'd like to read about the others

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Eleven Minutes Late - Mathew Engel

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pedalling to Hawaii - Stevie Smith

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mrs Jakarta has just bought me Bob Mortimers Autobiography (And Away) as a Valentine pressie.

I have a soul destroying evening at a Premier Inn in Enfield tomorrow so will no doubt start turning the first pages...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
That's on my list to read - looks very poignant.

England lost two test players, I think, Ken Farnes and the great Hedley Verity. He signed off his first class career by taking 7-9 against Sussex, bowling us out for 33. He was the major cricket casualty of the war but I'd like to read about the others

Hedley Verity was killed in Italy, didn't realise he took Bradman's wicket ten times, clearly a superb bowler.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Barbarosa. How Hitler lost the war. By Jonathan Dimleby Brilliant. Could take me a while. Most informative book I have read on 2nd World War

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Mrs Jakarta has just bought me Bob Mortimers Autobiography (And Away) as a Valentine pressie.

I have a soul destroying evening at a Premier Inn in Enfield tomorrow so will no doubt start turning the first pages...

Try the Old Wheatsheaf opposite Enfield Chase station.

They have a variety of their own beers 6 or 7 and the served Harveys last week when we went in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here