[Football] Zerbi kicking off

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If Fulham fake head injuries five or six times and the ref follows the rules and stop the play, maybe the problem is Fulham rather than the ref.

Maybe its time to realise that pretty much everyone in the Premier League is trying to make it as difficult as possible to officiate games properly and that is the problem that should be dealt with rather than blaming the ref for struggling with dealing with the the 22 cheaters for 90 minutes.

How about if these millionaires take a bit of responsibility. Very cheap to cheat your way through games knowing that you'll get zero blame because everyone will blame the ref instead.
Really good to have you back! 👍🏻👏🏻👋🏻👋🏻🐴🥛

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I disagree. It needs to come from the FA.
I find I'm agreeing with everyone this evening.

I think the solution will come from the clubs and the FA. They should be working together for the good of the game, not acting like rival Italian families competing over Glaswegian Ice Cream 'turfs' in the 1970s.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just seen these quotes from RDZ posted on facebook, presumably from a post match interview.

“If (PGMOL) want to come to me to have a meeting and if you want me to lose two hours of my time, of my work, you have to have a different attitude on the pitch. If you want to improve football, they have to be with another attitude, only this."
“And I don’t want to speak about a particular situation, it was a penalty or other things. I am speaking only of attitude. One time I lost time with the meeting and it will never happen again. I am not in England just to be fooled around by the meetings.”
“I think the referees in the Premier League are not enough for this very important league.”

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
If Fulham fake head injuries five or six times and the ref follows the rules and stop the play, maybe the problem is Fulham rather than the ref.

Maybe its time to realise that pretty much everyone in the Premier League is trying to make it as difficult as possible to officiate games properly and that is the problem that should be dealt with rather than blaming the ref for struggling with dealing with the the 22 cheaters for 90 minutes.

How about if these millionaires take a bit of responsibility. Very cheap to cheat your way through games knowing that you'll get zero blame because everyone will blame the ref instead.
My dad has always described a referee’s job as difficult because there are 22 professional cheats on the pitch.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Apologies if already posted but De Zerbi sometimes likes to receive a red card...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My dad has always described a referee’s job as difficult because there are 22 professional cheats on the pitch.
I've been a ref for a handful of games and found it harder than being a coach or a player.

Any manager or player who moans about refs should be forced to ref a couple of grassroots games to get a better understanding of the job.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just seen these quotes from RDZ posted on facebook, presumably from a post match interview.

“If (PGMOL) want to come to me to have a meeting and if you want me to lose two hours of my time, of my work, you have to have a different attitude on the pitch. If you want to improve football, they have to be with another attitude, only this."
“And I don’t want to speak about a particular situation, it was a penalty or other things. I am speaking only of attitude. One time I lost time with the meeting and it will never happen again. I am not in England just to be fooled around by the meetings.”
“I think the referees in the Premier League are not enough for this very important league.”
He's spot on.

Last week we genuinely drew a game we should have won thanks to a "factual" decision by an incompetent TV watcher who was given two games off. Oliver, on the field, was an ok ref.

This week there was no murder by incorrect TV analysis but the on field ref supported a culture of diving, cheating and time wasting, It's literally his job to prevent that. No wonder RDZ was angrier this week than last. So am I.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've been a ref for a handful of games and found it harder than being a coach or a player.

Any manager or player who moans about refs should be forced to ref a couple of grassroots games to get a better understanding of the job.
So you think RDZ should ref a couple of grass roots games?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Show do you legislate for a player simulating a head injury without adding any further risk to players with a genuine head injury?
Var can be used to look at tackles, retrospectively, and anyone found going down clutching their head from a tap on the ankle, receives a one match ban.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's spot on.

Last week we genuinely drew a game we should have won thanks to a "factual" decision by an incompetent TV watcher who was given two games off. Oliver, on the field, was an ok ref.

This week there was no murder by incorrect TV analysis but the on field ref supported a culture of diving, cheating and time wasting, It's literally his job to prevent that. No wonder RDZ was angrier this week than last. So am I.
And for folk who moan that decisions going against us are ignored because we are little old Brighton, with a manager who slinks away with his tiny tail between his legs, think again. Quite a lot of kerfuffle has bee generated by the offside that never was, and Roberto's metaphorical left hook.

At the end of the day, he who pays the piper calls the tune. Without the EPL the referees wouldn't have their income. At some point some rational thinking may burst forth.

My guess is not before the election of the next Conservative government, however. Sadly I'll be long dead.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’d like to see pundits/commentators start calling them out …rather than..oh that looks like a nasty injury etc when it’s 99% obvious it isn’t

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Ok, so what exactly should he have done to prevent Fulham players from going down clutching their heads?
What he did yesterday was to follow the laws of the game = stopping play when someone go down with (alleged) head injuries.
You might say its his job to prevent it but you could also argue its a footballers job to play football rather than rolling around on the grass screaming for mummy.

But apparently you can expect all referees to watch all 22 players simultaneously for 90 minutes and make correct decisions about whether they actually get injured or if they're just faking it?

I wouldn't mind VAR being used in that way, but this is presently not the case.

Won't be a team managed by a Portuguese...

And then we're back to the core issue with this idea: you get rewarded if you cause head injuries and punished if one of your players has one. This is the reason we will never ever see this seriously flawed "if you get an head injury, you'll have to sit 5/10 minutes on the sideline with no replacement" rule.
Using VAR to check the validity of head injuries seems a good solution to me. The game is stopped anyway and all VAR has to do is tell the ref he's faking and to go and watch the slo mo on the screen. It's a no-brainer so the perfect role for which to recall Lee Mason as "head injury assessor", since he's brainless. If the player is faking the ref awards a free-kick on the blood-stained turf where he was brutally assaulted and rewards him with a yellow card for simulation. You don't even need a new rule as there's already a simulation rule, which is applied occasionally to the likes of Maddison, Zaha and Grealish.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I’d like to see pundits/commentators start calling them out …rather than..oh that looks like a nasty injury etc when it’s 99% obvious it isn’t
To be fair, the co-commentator on my stream (Peacock - Tony someone) wondered 2-3 times during the game whether the players would/should be embarrassed when they look back at the replay which showed that nothing had happened to cause their 'injury'.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
To be fair, the co-commentator on my stream (Peacock - Tony someone) wondered 2-3 times during the game whether the players would/should be embarrassed when they look back at the replay which showed that nothing had happened to cause their 'injury'.
Good to see….just not often enough imho

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports