Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora

cyber seagull

Jul 18, 2003
1.5M is an absolute disgrace. This is comparable with the undervaluing of the Goldstone back in the dark days.

I'm not a DK fan but one thing I have always thought is that he's a good business man. Sadly, he is not. I would like to hear his views on one of the biggest giveaways I have ever seen.

I'm also not buying the "depressed transfer market" excuse. Yes, things are not as good as they were but 1.5M is a joke.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
If it is a depressed transfer market why did Spurs shell out £6.25m for Portuguese striker who is younger than Bobby?

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
Brett Ormerod cost Southampton £1.75 million from Blackpool and there's no doubt Zamora's a better player meaning we've been well and truly conned. :mad:

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
I'm almost tempted to get on the Dick Knight Out bandwagon........but i'll wait and see what he says first. I think i'm still in shock.

tonebha

Jul 11, 2003
sell on / appearance clause?

well, does anyone know if there is one?

(i mean with spurs, not bristol) ???

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Beefy said:
Brett Ormerod cost Southampton £1.75 million from Blackpool and there's no doubt Zamora's a better player meaning we've been well and truly conned. :mad:

Yes, but Ormerod was sold BEFORE the market peaked. Do you really not understand that?!?

Do you think that, for example, Rio Ferdinand is worth £30m today? Of course he isn't. Another example: after two seasons Veron's value has dropped by about £15m. That's about £30m Man Utd have lost because of the market crash.

Let's put the Zamora fee into perspective. Leeds only got about £3m cash for Harry Kewell who they'd nutured from aged 14. Ipswich only got about 5p for their star player Mat Holland etc etc.

£1.5m is not a good price from Zamora but blame the market, not Knight. The fact is that small clubs will never get rich from selling home players like they used to. Sad but true.

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
Wozza said:
Yes, but Ormerod was sold BEFORE the market peaked. Do you really not understand that?!?

Do you think that, for example, Rio Ferdinand is worth £30m today? Of course he isn't. Another example: after two seasons Veron's value has dropped by about £15m. That's about £30m Man Utd have lost because of the market crash.

Let's put the Zamora fee into perspective. Leeds only got about £3m cash for Harry Kewell who they'd nutured from aged 14. Ipswich only got about 5p for their star player Mat Holland etc etc.

£1.5m is not a good price from Zamora but blame the market, not Knight. The fact is that small clubs will never get rich from selling home players like they used to. Sad but true.

I realise that but when Ormerod was sold he had only played 2nd division and below(including non-league),didn't have any international credentials and hadn't scored anywhere near as many goals as Bobby has which would surely mean Zamora's worth more even in this depressed transfer market.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Crouch went for something like £5m, didn't he? Sorry, but those high transfer fees are history. It's (literally) only Chelsea throwing money around at the moment.

lancing ranger

Jul 11, 2003
i think it is a joke,sky sports after the press con said it could rise to 2 mil,but why no sell on?and they have bid 6mill for s parker so they have got him at a snip if u ask me.hope coppell can pull something out as i reckon we will get 300thou of that money.not having a go at knight as i never thought bobby would be here this season,but if our directors think that is good buisness then i fear for the future end off,but as ive got blue and white in my blood lets move on,and fight on for div 2!

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
£1.5m isn't great, but in the current state of the market it isn't bad either. Read the other threads and look at the kind of players that re going on frees. We can get some good players into replace him.

Also remember Booby, he's a young lad with lots of talent. He's really given very good service to the club. It's not fair to expect him to stay another year in the second division. I think it's a fair deal all round - unless it owuld be if BR weren't getting one-third - but that's not Bobby's or the club's fault. We'd never have got him in the first place without this cluase - and then where would we be?:glare:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think . . .unless theres some additional clauses, spurs have got a potential bargain and Dick has F***ed up right royally, I admire the bloke for all hes done, but Im not so sure about his business ability at the top end of the scale, having said that I know diddley squat! just my annoyed reaction to giving away our best asset:mad:

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Lets see now
1. would you trust a report with in accuracies in it? How much did we pay BR for him? These reports are all coming from the press assc and they all ahve the same wrong figure in them.
2. 12 months ago we were a div 1 team and Bobby had a chance to prove his worth. What do you do accept 3m and lose the player keep the player and hope that you and he does well enough to stay up and that his price at least stays stable or goes up.

Bobby had a bad season by his standards, we had a bad one by ours and his price has gone down. Its a gamble but I think it was a gamble worth taking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here