Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora "Too tired"

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The club will never admit it but I think you will find that BZ has had a degenerative injury problem for some time. Hence his previous recent clubs have also wrapped him up ' in cotton wool ' and not overstretched him, getting the maximum possible out of him, over a season.
It is no different to how we handled Simon Morgan, a few years back. He couldn't even train after games. His knee would blow-up for 3-4 days and we would ' wheel him out ' on match days. Wayne Bridge was similar. Patched up and strapped up, Poyet knew it was his last decent season and made the most of it. He was finished at Reading and only played a handful of games. Ledley King and Paul McGrath were other high profile players who couldn't even train between games but because of their importance, they were nursed along and treated differently from others.
BZ has that touch of class that can turn games. He has to be nursed and protected and brought along carefully and tactically. The club knew all this before they signed him but they knew he could be an influence.
Overplaying BZ will result in losing him for a number of games. Another striker should have been brought in during the window, to ease the burden and allow for the loss of Hemed and Baldock through injury/suspension. I wonder if we will rue the decision not to gamble financially on Vydra and that will be Reading's gain. His pace, on the counter-attack, would have been ideal for us and we know he is a proven goalscorer at this level.

We can only guess. I guessed differently. I thought Bobby Z had an injury probem that needed treatment at QPR which would have put him out for the season at QPR fighting relegation. Treated in the summer and missed lots of games the following season. Did not look sharp enough to me and I put this down to lack of match fitness. Didn't look injured at all.

I am not so sure Baldock is fast enough to run off the shoulder of the defender at Championship level? Not sure Vydra is at PL level whereas both Vardy and Callum Wilson seem to be. It is the timing of the runs sometimes rather than the acceleration that is also important. The best Albion example was Colunga at Fulham last season and Colunga is slower than Baldock.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pretty sure the re-signing of BZ was on a PR par with DK re-signing MA. A tonic for the troops off the back of a dismal previous season. Good for ST sales, good for shirt sales.

Personally I'm WAY more excited by the signing of Jack Harper.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
Someone needs to tell Solly then - he was reluctant to run after anything yesterday.

If BZ was tired at 30+ what was Solly March then, he what 10. he was only on for 20-25 minutes and he never went faster than a quick jog, I would expect anyone asked to do the job he was to run themselves in to the ground like CMS used and not give defenders or the goal keeper any time to settle on the ball and force mistakes. He couldn't be bothered to go as far as Ben Amos and never closed him down once. The veryone of us was screaming at him to close down the keeper but every time he just stopped 20 metre short and watched him. This is what led to the goal March just stood and watched as Amos picked where he wanted to play the ball, he hits the edge of our box about four touches or so and a foul later they equalize. If he closed Amos down the ball would have gone anywhere certainly not where Amos wanted to play it and certainly not where they could have scored.
I think Solly looks totally out of his depth at this level at the moment and needs to go on loan at a lower level for experience. He gets tackled and then bottles out from every challenge after that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brilliant that Bobby was true to his word and returned to the club. But he isn't the "same" Bobby and we shouldn't expect him to be.

Anything we get from BZ should be viewed as a bonus; I can't believe we brought him back to be our starting centre forward every week but great to have as cover and to do a job last 15/20 when necessary.

With BZ's injury / fitness record I am really surprised that we lack cover up front; we have to assume that BZ will be out for periods and that leaves us seriously exposed up front. Take Bobby out of the equation and what have we got? If Hemed gets a long term injury are we going to expect BZ to be starting every game. I do hope not.

I'm baffled that CH let COG go without adequate cover, the club may well regret not taking Vhydra when it had the chance, and I'm still not sure I understand how Barber managed to return from Argentina without Calleri!

You can add to that lot not finally getting rid of Clunge.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
He is class in holding up the ball and bring other players into play. Can't wait till he scores his first goal hope it's against dirty Leeds.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He looked completely out of his depth yesterday, which is odd as he's currently in the baby pool.
He's no league game Chris O'Grady.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
He looked more than decent last week.

He did although after yesterday's display he seems to have regressed. I know it's not always easy coming on rather than starting but he's had more than enough experience of that by now! Hopefully just a blip on an upward curve.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Zamora looked well off the pace yesterday and a very average player. Were it not for his history with us, I doubt the club will have touched him with a barge pole based on that display. I'm hoping for much better things from Bobby in the very near future. I doubt his wages will be cheap and he needs to put in more effort if he is to win me over. Past performances are not enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I doubt his wages will be cheap
They may not be that high. He came to the club and Chris said no, but Bobby was really keen to join us, and didn't seem to be looking elsewhere, so that will have effected what we offered him.

D

Deleted User X18H

They may not be that high. He came to the club and Chris said no, but Bobby was really keen to join us, and didn't seem to be looking elsewhere, so that will have effected what we offered him.

Chris O'Grady ? Well he would. Wouldn't he ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here