Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora and Barton among six released by QPR

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Absolutely, Andy Johnson's ("Andy"......"Johnson") return to Palace in the twilight of his career was an unprecendented nostalgic success by all accounts...

Sometimes it worked at Selhurst. But mainly when the player fulfilled a different "holding" role.

Successes: Steve Kember in the late 1970's, and back in the 1960's Bobby Kellard. In the 1980's Ian Walsh. Can't think of someone more recently other than AJ who came back after a long gap, Morrison was only away a couple of years.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sometimes it worked at Selhurst. But mainly when the player fulfilled a different "holding" role.

Successes: Steve Kember in the late 1970's, and back in the 1960's Bobby Kellard. In the 1980's Ian Walsh. Can't think of someone more recently other than AJ who came back after a long gap, Morrison was only away a couple of years.

Just to confirm... You are a palace fan who has an 'about me' section on your account that says about Fav Albion player etc? Confusing...?!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Zamora would be an unbelievable signing for almost any Championship club. IF we can get him it'd be a huge coup. The guy is class, and while past his prime, he could easily do a great job for us. Our current strike-force hasn't been up to much has it?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Zamora would be an unbelievable signing for almost any Championship club. IF we can get him it'd be a huge coup. The guy is class, and while past his prime, he could easily do a great job for us. Our current strike-force hasn't been up to much has it?

Precisely.

Think Jason Roberts at Reading. Did a fantastic job for them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Precisely.

Think Jason Roberts at Reading. Did a fantastic job for them.
I was just about to completely dismiss this as horseploppies.

Luckily I had to good sense to Wiki first, and I think you are exactly right.
Zamora playing for the Albion will be exactly like Roberts at Reading:-

On 26 January 2012, Roberts signed for Reading on an eighteen-month contract.[23] Roberts scored on his debut against Bristol City on 26 January 2012; when David James saved his penalty and Roberts bundled the ball over the line from the rebound. His second goal came on 11 February against Coventry City, where he deflected in a Matthew Connolly header. He scored his third goal in four starts in a 1–0 win against Burnley, after looping a Jobi McAnuff cross over keeper Lee Grant. On 10 March, Roberts got on the scoresheet again with a goal from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal, against Leicester City, in a 3–1 win. Reading's matchday edition of the Royals, revealed that Roberts had officially made the best ever start to a Reading career by helping them achieve an eight-game winning run, while also scoring four times and providing five assists. He scored his sixth goal for Reading in an important top of the table clash against Southampton, connecting with Jimmy Kébé's pinpoint cross.

On 21 February 2014, having not played for more than a year due to a persistent hip injury, Roberts told the matchday announcer he was unlikely to play again[24] and on 20 March 2014 he announced his retirement from football

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
On 21 February 2014, having not played for more than a year due to a persistent hip injury, Roberts told the matchday announcer he was unlikely to play again[24] and on 20 March 2014 he announced his retirement from football[/I]

By that time Reading had been promoted as Champions and were playing in the Premier League. I think we could happily give Bob six months of free wages if he contributed to the same.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I was just about to completely dismiss this as horseploppies.

Luckily I had to good sense to Wiki first, and I think you are exactly right.
Zamora playing for the Albion will be exactly like Roberts at Reading:-

On 26 January 2012, Roberts signed for Reading on an eighteen-month contract.[23] Roberts scored on his debut against Bristol City on 26 January 2012; when David James saved his penalty and Roberts bundled the ball over the line from the rebound. His second goal came on 11 February against Coventry City, where he deflected in a Matthew Connolly header. He scored his third goal in four starts in a 1–0 win against Burnley, after looping a Jobi McAnuff cross over keeper Lee Grant. On 10 March, Roberts got on the scoresheet again with a goal from close in to the bottom left corner of the goal, against Leicester City, in a 3–1 win. Reading's matchday edition of the Royals, revealed that Roberts had officially made the best ever start to a Reading career by helping them achieve an eight-game winning run, while also scoring four times and providing five assists. He scored his sixth goal for Reading in an important top of the table clash against Southampton, connecting with Jimmy Kébé's pinpoint cross.

On 21 February 2014, having not played for more than a year due to a persistent hip injury, Roberts told the matchday announcer he was unlikely to play again[24] and on 20 March 2014 he announced his retirement from football

So what you're saying is that he could be an excellent addition, providing goals and assists, to a team that storm to the top of the table and get promoted as champions, and will then retire once he is finally too old and crocked?

In which case, i agree.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
By that time Reading had been promoted as Champions and were playing in the Premier League. I think we could happily give Bob six months of free wages if he contributed to the same.
Wow, seriously?

You have Bobby here, if he was guaranteed to play till the middle of September followed by a handful of ineffective run outs, before retiring sometime in Sept '17.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what you're saying is that he could be an excellent addition, providing goals and assists, to a team that storm to the top of the table and get promoted as champions, and will then retire once he is finally too old and crocked?

In which case, i agree.

That's not what it says as per my post above.

Roberts gave Reading 6 (six) quality weeks, throughout a 2 year contract.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
That's not what it says as per my post above.

Roberts gave Reading 6 (six) quality weeks, throughout a 2 year contract.

He signed for them and January and got goals and assists that contributed to their promotion that year.

If Zamora did that but was then injured the following season people wouldn't be too disappointed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He signed for them and January and got goals and assists that contributed to their promotion that year.

If Zamora did that but was then injured the following season people wouldn't be too disappointed.
So the club should either hold off signing BZ untill the end of the Jan window.
Or sign him now and not play his till mid March.

I strongly believe the obvious diminishing returns from BZ over the last 2 seasons, mean the player starting in August (who'll be fantastic) won't be the same 'player' by the time we get to Jan 2016.

A Zamora is for life not just August Bank Holiday.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Wow, seriously?

You have Bobby here, if he was guaranteed to play till the middle of September followed by a handful of ineffective run outs, before retiring sometime in Sept '17.

When Roberts joined Reading they were eighth. He played 17 of the 19 remaining games and they finished champions, losing only one game and drawing two in which he played. A similar return from the start to the season would give us 47 points after 19 games enough to leave us well clear of any team that has been top after 19 in any recent season. Most that were went on to be promoted.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't think Barton has the brains to play a passing game. More of a clogger.

One of the more intelligent & articulate footballers Tbf... Don't just judge on attitudes on the pitch etc...!

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Barton is lunatic. Would not want him anywhere near the Amex. He's a good player though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of the more intelligent & articulate footballers Tbf...

I take it you didn't see his Question Time performance then?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here