Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zac Sturge

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
Do we get compo for him?

And that’s now three of our best academy players that have left since Ashworth has gone. I thought Cat 1 was supposed to protect us from this poaching?

So frustrating

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Must be very confident in himself. If rumours are true thats he's going to Chelsea then he must rate himself if he thinks he has more chance of breaking through there than here. Especially at a time when we have only 1 senior left back who could very well be off this summer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So that's three (Sturge, Mheuka and ?) very good youngsters we've lost in quick succession. Just a coincidence - or a worrying trend?. I wonder what the motivation is - agents? Pushy parents? Bigger signing in fees? I can't think anyone thinks they've got a better chance of breaking through to the fist team at the likes of Chelsea, Citeh, Barca or wherever these young hopefus are going (or hope to go).

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
So that's three (Sturge, Mheuka and ?) very good youngsters we've lost in quick succession. Just a coincidence - or a worrying trend?. I wonder what the motivation is - agents? Pushy parents? Bigger signing in fees? I can't think anyone thinks they've got a better chance of breaking through to the fist team at the likes of Chelsea, Citeh, Barca or wherever these young hopefus are going (or hope to go).

Interesting that we lose Morling and Ashworth and then seemingly have an exodus of our best young talent from the academy. We really need to get this sorted somehow

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Chelsea (and other clubs eg in Germany, taking English lads) have been doing this for a few years now, on an industrial scale.

Perhaps this is the first time our academy has been admired, so has become a target?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Chelsea (and other clubs eg in Germany, taking English lads) have been doing this for a few years now, on an industrial scale.

Perhaps this is the first time our academy has been admired, so has become a target?

I think that's hit the nail on the head. Didn't happen before but now it is a problem. I hope we get compensation for these lads that leave. We did with the player that went to Man United.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I wonder if Sturge feels he has a better chance of a good move from Chelsea rather than Brighton. Not sure he was that close to a first team berth here and I doubt he’ll get a good look in there either. Chelsea do however have the more established reputation as a springboard to a career elsewhere for young players.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Since Brexit rule changes came into force in 2021 its now difficult for top clubs in England to sign up worldwide young talent. They are therefore taking best 18 years olds from other accademies and no doubt offering them good signing on fees and a lot more in wages.

By the time they are 20 years old, Chelsea youngsters are probably out on loan and will make Chelsea decent money in future tranfer fees. Young players get rich quicker.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The rules seem very odd on this. What’s the incentive to spend £ms on an academy if the best players get hoovered up at 18 by the biggest clubs? Better to invest the money in poaching other club’s 18 year olds?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006

The other one is Toby Collyer who went to Manchester United

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
So they just go with zero financial benefit to the club that invested in their development!!?? Rule change required Shirley!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So they just go with zero financial benefit to the club that invested in their development!!?? Rule change required Shirley!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to believe that's actually the case, else why would a club - any club - invest the time and expense of developing a young player through their academy system?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Hard to believe that's actually the case, else why would a club - any club - invest the time and expense of developing a young player through their academy system?

Is this why Brentford closed there Academy

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think that's hit the nail on the head. Didn't happen before but now it is a problem. I hope we get compensation for these lads that leave. We did with the player that went to Man United.

I thought the Elite Player Performance Plan was designed so that clubs like Albion could rip off the smaller clubs, not so that our academy could be ransacked by others further up the food chain - most disappointing!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well, when 30% of the England squad spent time in the Chelsea academy it becomes a very attractive option with or without money involved.

According to FIFA regulations I think they have to pay some compensation, but it is possible that London is close enough to Brighton for that not to be the case. If your club is based within a certain distance, you don't have to pay compensation (this is because clubs should not be able to keep youth players 'hostage' if they want to swap clubs within a city etc.). For example, FC Copenhagen are able to recruit youth players from Malmö FF without any compensation due to the proximity of the cities. Not sure about the exact distance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here