Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zac Sturge

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
This is true but I’m sure I read they re due to open a new academy soon

My understanding is that Brentford decided they don't need an academy if all the clubs around them have one, plus the catchment in the London amateur league system. There is so much talent to within a 20mile drive that they are better off investing in scouting and trials and collecting / taking players from surrounding areas rather than pumping £Xm in to a long term project. They also don't have an U23 squad in the league and prefer a B team system (and friendless all season), which, unless I'm wrong, allows them to play said trialists and short term contract players to see if they make it to the larger squad in the future.

But I might be wrong.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
There will be payments due to the Albion for all of these players, either agreed between the clubs or by tribunal. The quantum of those payments, however, is a bit of an enigma...

I'm sure a @%1;DULLARD would be able to explain further.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Well, when 30% of the England squad spent time in the Chelsea academy it becomes a very attractive option with or without money involved.

According to FIFA regulations I think they have to pay some compensation, but it is possible that London is close enough to Brighton for that not to be the case. If your club is based within a certain distance, you don't have to pay compensation (this is because clubs should not be able to keep youth players 'hostage' if they want to swap clubs within a city etc.). For example, FC Copenhagen are able to recruit youth players from Malmö FF without any compensation due to the proximity of the cities. Not sure about the exact distance.

Chelsea’s youth recruitment is relentless, it’s no surprise they churn out so many players in the end. They hoover up players from all over the south of England from 6 or 7 years of age.

They’re far more agressive with it than any other club.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
…..We plunder young players from clubs further down the food chain…..

Which is fair enough, as long as those clubs further down are compensated for their efforts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
He’s going to be over the moon if Cucu goes to Chelsea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here