Yves Bissouma SINGS on a 5 (five) year deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Chelsea are well served with Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic, but all of the other top sides are short in that area.

United have the particularly average United trio you list.

Liverpool have an aging Fabinho, the limited Henderson and Tiago, who for whatever reason hasn't worked out.

City have the unconvincing Rodri and Fernandinho, who is caught out now every game he plays.

I'd take Fabinho, (the still underrated, it seems) Henderson and Tiago over Fred, Matic and McTominay in a heartbeat.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I think we are all on the verge of agreeing that he's unlikely to sign a new deal

I don't think so. My money would be on him signing a new deal. But I think we DO all agree that such a deal (which would probably feature a release clause of some kind) won't stop him going. It would mean that we'd be paying more while he is still here, but also that we are likely to get a lot more for him when he does go.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think we are all on the verge of agreeing that he's unlikely to sign a new deal - and he's most likely off in the summer (maybe this winter), or at the end of his contract.

He will effectively be able to take his pick out of a range of top clubs around Europe.

If the club somehow manages to convince him to sign a new deal... it will be one of the greatest achievements the club has done for some time, and I will be celebrating like we've just a big game.

But I don't see how it is different to the Ben White situation. He signed a new deal with us the year before he left.

He received the extra year's salary and still got the signing on fee from a bigger club plus the extra wages.

No reason to think it couldn't be the same with Bissouma. The only difference is that Yves 2021 will be on a senior players salary, whereas White may not have, but the principle is the same. If he signs it today, with the written understanding that if certain club comes in at a certain price he can go, then everyone could in theory be happy with the outcome.

The other thing that footballers consider is the "what if I do my cruciate?" scenario. Probably not the main thing he will be weighing in the balance, but there are undoubted risks to letting your contract run down for nearly 2 years.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I suppose that would be ideal for all parties. Hopefully you're right.

Would love Biss to stay FOREVER, but realistically he's going to go, would be gutted if he left for a relative pittance or nothing at all.

Easy to say, when I'm not the one underwriting the losses, but I'd far rather he walked away for nothing in July 2023, than for a derisory figure (anything under £20m certainly) at the end of this season. A £20m windfall will not grow the club in any way. One further season of Bissouma in the side, potentially could.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Easy to say, when I'm not the one underwriting the losses, but I'd far rather he walked away for nothing in July 2023, than for a derisory figure (anything under £20m certainly) at the end of this season. A £20m windfall will not grow the club in any way. One further season of Bissouma in the side, potentially could.

That would be the best worst case scenario. Obviously it would be best if we tied him down to a new deal, which I'm sure we're attempting.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Maybe we should offer him £20m a season in salary then, about £400k per week?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And would he be guaranteed to start every game with a lot of other top players around him who play the same position ??
Guaranteed 90 mins every game here

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

At Manchester United I'd say yes. He's comfortably better than their other DM options.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh I agree, I genuinely think Bissouma is now the best at what he does in the world, ahead of Kante and Fabinho. But when you said ageing Fabinho I had to look it up as I didn't think he was that old!

Steady on. Biss is terrific for us, but best DM in the WORLD ? He's not even played on the biggest stage yet, and though its not his primary responsibility, aside from a couple of biffers the less said about his shooting the better.

Lets not get too carried away.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Oh I agree, I genuinely think Bissouma is now the best at what he does in the world, ahead of Kante and Fabinho. But when you said ageing Fabinho I had to look it up as I didn't think he was that old!

Not sure about Kante or Tielemens but certainly no worse than them either.

Just a great player…. So lucky to have him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I love Bissouma and I think his potential ceiling is VERY high but I think we're going a bit far suggesting he's better than Kante.

Kante is a PHENOMENAL player, who is an absolute trophy magnet - I would suggest one of the best ever in his position.

His sides win the biggest trophies. Bissouma's still got a little way to go yet.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think we are all on the verge of agreeing that he's unlikely to sign a new deal - and he's most likely off in the summer (maybe this winter), or at the end of his contract.

He will effectively be able to take his pick out of a range of top clubs around Europe.

If the club somehow manages to convince him to sign a new deal... it will be one of the greatest achievements the club has done for some time, and I will be celebrating like we've just a big game.

We really are not. You might think that but, for all sorts of reasons, others don't

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But I don't see how it is different to the Ben White situation. He signed a new deal with us the year before he left.

He received the extra year's salary and still got the signing on fee from a bigger club plus the extra wages.

No reason to think it couldn't be the same with Bissouma. The only difference is that Yves 2021 will be on a senior players salary, whereas White may not have, but the principle is the same. If he signs it today, with the written understanding that if certain club comes in at a certain price he can go, then everyone could in theory be happy with the outcome.

The other thing that footballers consider is the "what if I do my cruciate?" scenario. Probably not the main thing he will be weighing in the balance, but there are undoubted risks to letting your contract run down for nearly 2 years.

He won’t run it down for 2 years - max 1 as we’ll sell him next summer if he’s still here and hasn’t signed a new contract, ideally after a ridiculous bidding war involving Man U, Man City and PSG.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Chelsea are well served with Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic, but all of the other top sides are short in that area.

United have the particularly average United trio you list.

Liverpool have an aging Fabinho, the limited Henderson and Tiago, who for whatever reason hasn't worked out.

City have the unconvincing Rodri and Fernandinho, who is caught out now every game he plays.

I agree with your Chelsea and United assessment, less so with City, but you're really under-estimating the Liverpool trio. Fabinho is 27 and excellent at what he does. Like Milner, Henderson is one of England's most underrated players and, while Tiago hasn't settled yet, he's one of the best passers of the ball in Europe.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I love Bissouma and I think his potential ceiling is VERY high but I think we're going a bit far suggesting he's better than Kante.

Kante is a PHENOMENAL player, who is an absolute trophy magnet - I would suggest one of the best ever in his position.

His sides win the biggest trophies. Bissouma's still got a little way to go yet.

Indeed - Kante is peerless IMO. He ran Leicester's midfield when they won the title. The following season, Chelsea bought him and he did exactly the same there. Since then, he's won the UCL and become a mainstay in arguably the best international side on the planet. Bissouma is nowhere near that yet. I wouldn't write him off getting to that level or at least near it, but it's a ludicrous comparison at the moment.

I don't care anyway - Bissouma is one of the best players any of us are ever likely to see in the stripes and that is something we can all agree on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree with your Chelsea and United assessment, less so with City, but you're really under-estimating the Liverpool trio. Fabinho is 27 and excellent at what he does. Like Milner, Henderson is one of England's most underrated players and, while Tiago hasn't settled yet, he's one of the best passers of the ball in Europe.

This. Liverpool's midfield is superb.

I feel like a lot of people have had very short memories with Liverpool, due to their extremely high number of injuries last season. The prior 2 seasons they were one of the best club sides in the world, and look like they might be heading back in that direction again now Virgil Van Dijk is back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another excellent season with us, and his saleable value certainly won't diminish, and may well increase, regardless of only having one year left on his contract.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I do have slight nerves around this as once the window closed and he was still here I expected to see a contract extension to ensure we maintain top value for him in the event of any sale (like with White)

Biss does not strike me as the kind of player who would run down a contract but we will get nowhere near our validation if we go into next summer without an extension

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Biss loves it at the Albion he sees potter as a father figure. I don’t think he has the morals of some players to screw his club over. If he is to go I would expect him to sign a contract extension at some point which would increase his value if he wanted to move on. However that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports