Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ypres

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Not a cathedral, it's the Lakenhalle, a former cloth trading hall (originally medieval, but it had to be rebuilt from rubble after WW1). Significantly, however, today it houses the very poignant and excellent In Flanders Fields Museum, which is worth half a day of your time if you do visit.

On a more general point, and at the risk of introducing pedantry to a very sombre occasion, I've always wondered why we British insist on using the French name for the town. It's in Dutch-speaking Belgium and it's called Ieper. Surely calling it by the correct local name would be far more respectful to the people who live there and whose relatives lived and died there in the carnage. And Ieper is a bloody sight easier to pronounce than Ypres...

You are right on the pronunciation point, however the Tommies got round it anyway and referred to Ypres as Wipers. Where there's a will.....

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Visited the Ypres and the Somme area twice . Like many people have relatives names on the Menin Gate and Thievpal which i'm lucky to have seen . Would recommend the last post at Menin it's incredibly moving . One day i would like to visit the Norfolk Cemetery at Becondel Becourt where my Grans uncle lays having died aged just 17 . His Brother died 6 months later on The Somme aged 36.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here