Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

YouTube: Bradford City Fire Video

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I had never seen footage of that until I went to a steward training day at Wembley, with a view of a term time job. I was flabbergasted at how quickly the fire spread.

The smoking ban is a huge step forward, as I am sure there are still risks.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
jonny.rainbow said:
Just watched this on YouTube. Harrowing Stuff. Could have easily happened at the Goldstone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgffNIW4xaU&mode=related&search=

And to think some people are complaining about a smoking ban at Withdean at the moment. :nono:

I saw that when I went on a training course at the Maresfield Fire training place. Absolutely shocking.

What makes it worse is the crass comments by the commentator who could (must?) have not realised the full horror of what was unfolding.

I'm talking from memory as I really won't be clicking on that link ever. *shudder*

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Jesus. One of those events that we always forget

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Re: Re: YouTube: Bradford City Fire Video

Buzzer said:
I saw that when I went on a training course at the Maresfield Fire training place. Absolutely shocking.

What makes it worse is the crass comments by the commentator who could (must?) have not realised the full horror of what was unfolding.

I'm talking from memory as I really won't be clicking on that link ever. *shudder*

The bit that gets me more is that the fans keep chanting throughout.

You could maybe argue that it's a bit of Dunkirk spirit but I mean people are on fire. :ohmy:

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
I agree smoking in the stands is dangerous, but at withdean what harm can be caused with people smoking on the bank next to block A?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
watsongooal said:
Jesus. One of those events that we always forget

Really? I think of it most times I hear the name Bradford City FC. It was one of the most shocking things I remember about football life (along with Hillsborough). It was a day of celebration, last day of the season, and Bradford were promoted, i could never get out of my head how happy and excited everyone must have been moments before tradegy struck. How many dads must have been there with kids, perhaps for their first game.

Maybe I think about these things too deeply, but this was a day that despite not having been there, will always be very vivid in my mind.

A truly shocking event. And as has been said already, it could so easily have been any of us, as I'm sure the old West Stand at the Goldstone couldn't have been any less of a tinder-box than that stand at Valley Parade.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Sorry that was probably the royal we. I think I was just that bit too young I would of been about 8 so it wouldnt have really registered with me exactly what was going on.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have seen that video once before, some years ago, during a fire training day at work. The fireman who was teaching us hit play on the video and left it to run in the background as he went through his opening remarks. At the end of his spiel he told us how many people had died in the time that he had been talking, it certainly reinforced his message and guaranteed our undivided attention for the rest of the session.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gritt23 said:
I'm sure the old West Stand at the Goldstone couldn't have been any less of a tinder-box than that stand at Valley Parade.
Maybe, although that stand was, like the rest of the ground, built on a slope, so there was a big gap between the seating tier and the ground which had been filled literally over the decades by old newspapers, chip paper, you name it. They found remains of newspapers from the 1950s down there afterwards. Plus (I think) a tar-covered roof, which, when it caught fire caused the flames to spread quicker than people could run. Probably the darkest irony was that the stand was going to be knocked down after that game.

That era really was the pits - an eternally depressing cycle of shit and empty old grounds and massive, moronic waves of trouble - wasn't someone attending their first ever game killed by a collapsing wall during massive rioting at Birmingham - on the same day, ffs?

I don't miss a thing - the old stands, the terraces with massive cages at the front - about then (apart from the fact we had a ground, of course). Give me something bland but safe like these modern grounds any time.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
Maybe, although that stand was, like the rest of the ground, built on a slope, so there was a big gap between the seating tier and the ground which had been filled literally over the decades by old newspapers, chip paper, you name it. They found remains of newspapers from the 1950s down there afterwards. Plus (I think) a tar-covered roof, which, when it caught fire caused the flames to spread quicker than people could run. Probably the darkest irony was that the stand was going to be knocked down after that game.

That era really was the pits - an eternally depressing cycle of shit and empty old grounds and massive, moronic waves of trouble - wasn't someone attending their first ever game killed by a collapsing wall during massive rioting at Birmingham - on the same day, ffs?

I don't miss a thing - the old stands, the terraces with massive cages at the front - about then (apart from the fact we had a ground, of course). Give me something bland but safe like these modern grounds any time.

Same sort of thing that caused the Kings Cross fire. Loads of rubbish under the escalators.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yeah, we criticise modern grounds for being soul-less and lacking character, but at least we are no longer taking our lives into our own hands or being treated like caged animals every time we go to a game.

I am looking forward to the game on Saturday, even though I will be watching from the Brentford end, probably around the same spot that I saw Nelson score a wonder goal in the cup all those years ago. At least I will go there safe in the knowledge that my life won't be endangered because I am a supporter of the opposition in their end...though I won't be taking the mickey or wearing our colours.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Didn't most of those who died try to get out the back of the stand, only to find all the doors and gates locked?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
bhafc99 said:
Didn't most of those who died try to get out the back of the stand, only to find all the doors and gates locked?

Yes the exit gates were locked to prevent people getting in for free.

Some people were just burnt alive in their seats as a result of the 'flashover'

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Watched this video before it became generally available as part of advanced Navy firefighting courses. Room full of silence up to the point when one bloke walked out, followed by another - and these people both had Falklands medals.

The frightening one was the bloke who walked out, then burst into flames - and the person who was actually beaten to death by people who thought they were putting him out.

Does anyone remember a fire at the Goldstone, albeit on a much smaller scale? I seem to recall a fire breaking out during a reserve match at some point? Not sure on details....

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
It was bad enough when they were showing it live on Grandstand.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That all happened in the seven minutes of the clip. Horrific.

Seeing as how the South Stand seats no longer go away for a Summer holiday, and Withdean's in a nature reserve, would be interesting to know if there's any checks done on a build up of paper / leaves under the seating.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
HampshireSeagulls said:
Watched this video before it became generally available as part of advanced Navy firefighting courses. Room full of silence up to the point when one bloke walked out, followed by another - and these people both had Falklands medals.

The frightening one was the bloke who walked out, then burst into flames - and the person who was actually beaten to death by people who thought they were putting him out.

Does anyone remember a fire at the Goldstone, albeit on a much smaller scale? I seem to recall a fire breaking out during a reserve match at some point? Not sure on details....

The South Stand at the Goldstone had a serious fire....they were all wooden seats. Mysterious really, they were going to be replaced shortly anyhow by new plastic seats....happened after a match at the Goldstone if I remember......think it was blamed on a cigarette end...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here