Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] "You're French, and you know you are..."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why? No historic shared language and most of our history have been fighting one or other of them. They certainly didn't feel a great affinity with us either. And Ireland for instance is very much further than most of England is.

No historic shared language? We both have Latin, and many words are the same just with different pronunciation. English also uses many French phrases. Bonet de douche, as Del Boy would say. :smile:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
None of the, would jump to help us now, As a nation we've shat on pretty much all of Europe this last 5 years.

There are lots of scooter rallies and historic race meetings in northern europe, They head here regularly as well peas in a pod are we. Nothing like the sterotypical flag waving mod bollocks most people aware of when they think of scooters. That is very much an English thing, and frankly an embarassment to many.

Yes, you hate the English and worship the EU. We know...

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I’d love to know the list of countries that you think we’ve shat on and why?

He’s named three and two aren’t even European.

Polish airmen fought bravely in WW2, but people have this odd idea that they came over here to help us.

No, they were fighting for Poland and using England as their home base. It was in both our interests, but they weren’t fighting to save Britain. It’d be odd if they were.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I went to Dover Athletic on a Tuesday night to watch Barnet. It took me the best part of four hours to get home. Could have nipped across to Frogland in just an hour. It felt bloody weird with the Wetherspoons full of foreigners and a lot of people paying by €uros.

Didn't get the same feeling at Carlisle being in close proximity towards the Jocks apart from the announcer reading out certain Scottish team's scorelines.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Why? No historic shared language and most of our history have been fighting one or other of them. They certainly didn't feel a great affinity with us either. And Ireland for instance is very much further than most of England is.

Actually there have always been very close ties in Sussex with France. Historically fishing communities along the coast had lots of dealings both positivley and negatively with counterparts in France.

It's also said that Sussex dialect was influenced by links to fishermen from the French and Dutch coasts. Interestingly it's said that Sussex dialect is almost always in the feminine tense, with the saying 'Everything in Sussex is a She except a Tom Cat and she's a He.'[

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
None of the, would jump to help us now, As a nation we've shat on pretty much all of Europe this last 5 years.

There are lots of scooter rallies and historic race meetings in northern europe, They head here regularly as well peas in a pod are we. Nothing like the sterotypical flag waving mod bollocks most people aware of when they think of scooters. That is very much an English thing, and frankly an embarassment to many.

.... and vice versa, I always find it odd, having lived in Belgium, Germany and England, how many people despise England and the English yet choose to live here? I love patriotism and tradition but hate the bitter side of nationalism, but I also recognise that it works both ways although some only see a problem from their perspective.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Polish airmen fought bravely in WW2, but people have this odd idea that they came over here to help us.

No, they were fighting for Poland and using England as their home base. It was in both our interests, but they weren’t fighting to save Britain. It’d be odd if they were.

.... and many stayed here, I was stationed in Cheltenham in the late seventies and early eighties and the base had a large community of former Polish servicemen working on the base.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I’m looking forward to the list of European Countries we’ve Shannon in the last 5 years[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
On a side note, if we're away and home fans chant "You're French and you know you" are at us, surely its a golden opportunity to come up with a chant to the tune of the "La Marseillaise". Its a great tune, and brilliant for a chant. "We're the best team in the North of France, and our name is Brighton".

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
.... and many stayed here, I was stationed in Cheltenham in the late seventies and early eighties and the base had a large community of former Polish servicemen working on the base.

I can understand that. They’d probably met local girls and going back to Soviet-owned Poland could’ve been dangerous. They probably knew about the Katyn Massacre.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
On a side note, if we're away and home fans chant "You're French and you know you" are at us, surely its a golden opportunity to come up with a chant to the tune of the "La Marseillaise". Its a great tune, and brilliant for a chant. "We're the best team in the North of France, and our name is Brighton".

Nous sommes la meilleire equipe de France du Nord
Nous appellons les... Albion

(Excuse rusty French)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I can understand that. They’d probably met local girls and going back to Soviet-owned Poland could’ve been dangerous. They probably knew about the Katyn Massacre.

I think in part you're right, these guys were stationed in the nissan huts, single guys but probably staying for a better life.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Nous sommes la meilleire equipe de France du Nord
Nous appellons les... Albion

(Excuse rusty French)

The worst thing is I have this as bloody earworm now. Just cannot stop humming it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
.... and vice versa, I always find it odd, having lived in Belgium, Germany and England, how many people despise England and the English yet choose to live here? I love patriotism and tradition but hate the bitter side of nationalism, but I also recognise that it works both ways although some only see a problem from their perspective.

The closest nations are typicaly Anglophiles when it comes to their cars, The Dutch have a strange love for Austin Healeys!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here