Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Top 3 most seen live acts

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Did you see SLF at the Top Rank?

Was that the gig they played in Brighton in October/November 1979? I was 17 and on my way down there from Kent when the school friend who was driving us - just passed his test - took a corner too fast and rolled the car. Silly bugger. Never made it.

Fortunately I did see them in March 1979 at the Camden Electric Ballroom. ITV filmed that gig for a South Bank Show about Rough Trade records. I'm in this clip somewhere:

[yt]n3mqtXQAunw[/yt]

Saw them again in late 1980 but the magic had already gone. Jake Burns seemed to have lost his mojo and had gone all rock 'n' roll and showbiz. Like he poured his entire soul into Inflammable Material and had nothing left in the tank to follow it. Haven't seen them since.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Was that the gig they played in Brighton in October/November 1979? I was 17 and on my way down there from Kent when the school friend who was driving us - just passed his test - took a corner too fast and rolled the car. Silly bugger. Never made it.

Fortunately I did see them in March 1979 at the Camden Electric Ballroom. ITV filmed that gig for a South Bank Show about Rough Trade records. I'm in this clip somewhere:

[yt]n3mqtXQAunw[/yt]

Saw them again in late 1980 but the magic had already gone. Jake Burns seemed to have lost his mojo and had gone all rock 'n' roll and showbiz. Like he poured his entire soul into Inflammable Material and had nothing left in the tank to follow it. Haven't seen them since.

I think your right with the dates

my 2 favourite SLF songs are Gotta Gettaway & Straw Dogs

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

[yt]n3mqtXQAunw[/yt]

I saw the Dead Kennedys & UK Decay up at Camden around that time,cracking gig also

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Why do i have to pick just three? I have fantastic memories of numerous bands for different reasons.

You don't. The thread though is the bands you've seen live the most number of times, as opposed to bands you've enjoyed live per se.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Thank you.

Enjoyable for the performance itself as well as Yans failed attempt at a handstand and the reaction of the security. Typical BSP then. I saw Savages play their first ever gig as support to British Sea Power at The Haunt- as did a few other NSC members.

Pleasure. I missed the Savages Karnkenhaus gig, just did the Decline and Open Season ones, which although great for BSP sets had arguably the weakest other slots.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Van Morrison
Jools Holland Rhythm and Blues orchestra
Genesis (many years ago)

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
1/ ELO/ELO II/The Orchestra
2/ = The Jam and Los Pacaminos (featuring Paul Young)
3/ ...and lots of bands and singers where once was enough ;)

boik

Wow the wrath of an indie boy scorned. The Wedding Present were always among the also rans. I guess from this thread they're a bit like an alternative Marillion, inspiring devotion from a dwindling band of fat balding middle aged men and bewilderment from the rest of the world.

Can't help noticing that The Wedding Present feature quite a lot in peoples lists for a bunch of also rans.. Just saying !

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Haze (Lost count well into 3 figures though, used to be their lighting engineer)
Fairport Convention (50ish - 30 consecutive years at Cropredy)
Jethro Tull (25 to 30)

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I cant believe The Mighty UK Subs have not been mentioned yet?

The UK subs, at least once a year since 1978.
Zounds.
The Damned.

And Brightons own Attila..followed very closely by Patrick fitzgerald

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Probably not a lot between Motorhead and the Damned .Pretty much seen them both consistantly since 1977.Sometimes more than once a year ,Certainly early on it would have been the Damned/Doomed , but these days , Motorhead consistantly tour every year , plus the occasional Download.

1 Damned /Motorhead
2 UK Subs
3 Iron Maiden/Metallica

Bubbling under
Anti Nowhwere League
AC/DC
Alice Cooper

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Funnily enough i had the Texans play in my garden for our summer party (wonder if i know you from the old days?)

Possible, However during the "Psychobilly Boom" I was living in Manchester and then down to Camden. So if your talking about local gigs probably not....

If you went to The Klubfoot & Long Knives, gigs in London or abroad etc then yes

we must know the same people.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Probably not a lot between Motorhead and the Damned .Pretty much seen them both consistantly since 1977.Sometimes more than once a year ,Certainly early on it would have been the Damned/Doomed , but these days , Motorhead consistantly tour every year , plus the occasional Download.

1 Damned /Motorhead
2 UK Subs
3 Iron Maiden/Metallica

Bubbling under
Anti Nowhwere League
AC/DC
Alice Cooper

The Dammed, top band in the 70s.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Springsteen (about 30 times)
Peter Green ( mainly with Splinter Group) 4 or 5 times
Jethro Tull (5 or 6 times)
Stones (4 or 5 times)
Neil Young (5 times)

Last edited:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Possible, However during the "Psychobilly Boom" I was living in Manchester and then down to Camden. So if your talking about local gigs probably not....

If you went to The Klubfoot & Long Knives, gigs in London or abroad etc then yes

we must know the same people.

Though not a fully fledged Psychobilly during the boom a good few of my school friends were and I liked the music. Used to see The Meteors and Guanabatz quike regularly in Brighton down the pub in Ship Street, The Old Vic I think? Met one of Guanabatz some years later at a club night I held in Worthing as he was mates with one of the DJ's (Sarah Chapman, who also was my friend and landlady for a while). Think he was working in the USA as a sports physio for American Footballers. Nice chap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here