Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your playing career...

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
OK so who are NSC's best footballers...

Here is my illustrious playing career:

Under 9's to Under 11's - Seaford Seagulls

Under 11's Under 16's - Denton and South Heighton (moved forced by parents decision to leave Seaford and head west.)

Under 17's to Under 18's - Newhaven Town Youth Team - highlight of career here with a couple of goals in a Sussex Cup Final against Whitehawk.

Adult - 1 game for Newhaven's first team (totaly out of depth)

Career ended in disspointment with a few less than successful sub appearance for Sunday side Denton Phoenix.

Retired aged 25ish.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
9-15 played for Widbrook United and won the Portsmouth Sunday league and played at Fratton Park in the Hampshire Cup final

15-17 played for Denmead and won cup final at Havant & Waterlooville's ground

21-23 played for Owens in pub league but gave up as so many players on a Sunday just want a ruck

30-32 played pitch invasion in Brighton but again got fed up with Whitehawkers (sorry to stereotype but it was them) than just wanted a punch up.

Now- Just playkickabout 4 a side at work. Still believe I have some of the old magic left though :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hmmm, this is testing the grey matter...

(age)
18 - 21: Stakes Hill Rangers (Havant Sunday League)
20 - 22: Southsea Town (Portsmouth Saturday League)
23 - 24: Royal College of Art (can't even remember what league...)
25 - 27: Old Latymarians (Southern Amateur League - first team player of the year 2001!)
27 - 30: Winchmore Hill (Southern Amateur League)
31 - retired, knees gave up the ghost, had kids, hung up boots!

I would describe myself as a cultured centre half, although my team mates often didn't...

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Hmmm, this is testing the grey matter...

(age)
18 - 21: Stakes Hill Rangers (Havant Sunday League)
20 - 22: Southsea Town (Portsmouth Saturday League)
23 - 24: Royal College of Art (can't even remember what league...)
25 - 27: Old Latymarians (Southern Amateur League - first team player of the year 2001!)
27 - 30: Winchmore Hill (Southern Amateur League)
31 - retired, knees gave up the ghost, had kids, hung up boots!

I would describe myself as a cultured centre half, although my team mates often didn't...

We must have played each other! Denmead and Widbrook played Stakes Hill Rangers many a time.

D

Deleted member 18477

Under 9's to Under 13's - Southdown Rovers

5 x Div 1 league title, 1 x mid Sussex tournament win, 1 x mid Sussex tournament runners up, 1 x runners up in Sussex cup, 1 x semi final of a south tournament (3rd place finish)

Under 14's to Under 16's - Southdown Athletic

1 x Div 2 league title

Personal: 1 x Player of the season, 1 x golden boot award

Positions covered: 4 seasons right wing > 1 season left back > 2 seasons centre mid > 1 season striker

Beckham like crossing abilities, corner taker, free kick taker, engine like Steven Gerrard, finishing like fat Ronaldo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ultra keen schoolboy player, then broke ankle and ruined ligaments aged 18 (in 1984), never been able to play since.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
9-15 played for Widbrook United and won the Portsmouth Sunday league and played at Fratton Park in the Hampshire Cup final

15-17 played for Denmead and won cup final at Havant & Waterlooville's ground

21-23 played for Owens in pub league but gave up as so many players on a Sunday just want a ruck

30-32 played pitch invasion in Brighton but again got fed up with Whitehawkers (sorry to stereotype but it was them) than just wanted a punch up.

Now- Just playkickabout 4 a side at work. Still believe I have some of the old magic left though :)

When would you have been at Widbrook United? I seem to remember a few friends played for them, although that would have been back in 1988 or so I guess...

Agree with you about the Portsmouth and Havant Sunday Leagues, I remember my first senior game and this thug of a bloke threatened to 'break my f*cking back' if I went near him again. Half the players more interested in cutting someone in half than playing football.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
2 games with HMS Ark Royal Colts under 19s team...before they sussed out I was shit.

I wish I could remember his name, but sadly, I cant...but when I was heading to Devonport to start training I shared the compartment with somebody who I recognised from somewhere, and when he told me he had been playing for Brighton, it clicked, as I remembered seeing him play a couple of games for the reserves... he gave up football and joined the navy...

Playing football for the navy was a good deal as well...a mess mate called Costello played for the Navy, and they flew him home to UK from Singapore for one match over a Christmas period.. ..amazing..was jealous as hell at the time.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
When would you have been at Widbrook United? I seem to remember a few friends played for them, although that would have been back in 1988 or so I guess...

Agree with you about the Portsmouth and Havant Sunday Leagues, I remember my first senior game and this thug of a bloke threatened to 'break my f*cking back' if I went near him again. Half the players more interested in cutting someone in half than playing football.

Yes, I would have been playing for Widbrook at that time. I played in the same team as Tim Brown, John Harmer, Brad Wingate and other names that escape me! We were good at the time, funnily enough our biggest rivals (and best team) were called Seagulls and played in blue and white Stripes if you remember them?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
OK so who are NSC's best footballers...

Here is my illustrious playing career:

Under 9's to Under 11's - Seaford Seagulls

Under 11's Under 16's - Denton and South Heighton (moved forced by parents decision to leave Seaford and head west.)

Under 17's to Under 18's - Newhaven Town Youth Team - highlight of career here with a couple of goals in a Sussex Cup Final against Whitehawk.

Adult - 1 game for Newhaven's first team (totaly out of depth)

Career ended in disspointment with a few less than successful sub appearance for Sunday side Denton Phoenix.

Retired aged 25ish.

Forgot to mention a 'Most Improved Player' trophy I won age ten that had the inscription 'Most Improved Player - Warner Bugley'... my name is Warren Dudley!! Very funny now but at the time I was devastated!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We must have played each other! Denmead and Widbrook played Stakes Hill Rangers many a time.

Were you part of the side that formed 'Brookmead', that would have been about 1993 I think? I played from 1992 to 1995, and we had a few Crookhorn school teachers including Rolfe and Langdale in our side!

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
17-18 Perth United ( Sunday premier league(Australia))

Damaged muscle and tendons in my groin which stopped me playing for about 12 months.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, I would have been playing for Widbrook at that time. I played in the same team as Tim Brown, John Harmer, Brad Wingate and other names that escape me! We were good at the time, funnily enough our biggest rivals (and best team) were called Seagulls and played in blue and white Stripes if you remember them?

I was actually a slight lad up until I reached 17/18, so Widbrook were too good a side for me. I think Alan Carter, Brett Munden played for you I think?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Were you part of the side that formed 'Brookmead', that would have been about 1993 I think? I played from 1992 to 1995, and we had a few Crookhorn school teachers including Rolfe and Langdale in our side!

I left Widbrook in 93 to join Denmead. I went to Oaklands so all the Crookhorn crew were our rivals! :)

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
8-11 Gillwell Cubs
12-13/14 Southdown Rovers
Then moved and played for a few pub teams in Buckinghamshire

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
U8 to U15 - Lancing Rangers, I think I was the Romain Vincelot of the team. Left back, right back, centre back, winger, striker, keeper, you name it! Although I can't claim to have been that good.

To be honest I don't think I've ever made a sliding tackle in my life. The pitches were horrendous and I think I took the whole 'stay on your feet' thing far too literally.
Still made my fair share of tackles though!

I really want to get back into football though, might try and join a team at University.

Scored a modest amount of goals, but a few screamers.

Also won Most Improved once (or maybe twice).

Last edited:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
From age 10-16 played and captained school and Whitehawk youth winning player of the year for school picked by none other than Brian Horton! Not bad for a left back eh? Played for Brighton boys and represented Sussex... Compound fracture of right leg ended any prospects at 17 years of age, bummer!

Played through the pain barrier for a few Sat and Sun sides until about 25 and gave up.. My brain couldn't take playing at such a poor standard tbh.

Oh well, yet another promising career ended by injury... My ol' man still bends my ear at times. He claims that I would have made it.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Use to play either RB or CM

13 - 14 - Patcham United

14 - 15 Withdean

Then I was caught up in under age drinking and my playing days were over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here