Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your memories of Brighton & Hove Albion v Crystal Palace.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My first game was away at Palace April 1985 - 15 years old travelled down from Wigan on my own, knew no one, stood next to a Brighton fan a couple of years older than me wearing a cream argyle cardigan and smoked a pipe. I also remember a 16 hole cherry red Doc Marten skinhead being arrested and walked past our supporters. Apart from that I don't remember too much about the game.
Favourite memory was the St Patricks day massacre was excellent.
Second favourite was the McShane header 1-0 away, that was bedlam in the stands when that went in.
Least favourite was the FFs Murray, that really hurt.

You got any ?

Saw this on the interweb, apparently it is Brighton v Palace, but before my time.

brighton v palace.jpeg

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Only managed to get a ticket once at Selhurst. The Knockaert goal 1-2 game. Haven’t done it again since as I thought that day could not be topped.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My second away trip (first was Portsmouth) was to Selhurst Park (27th March 1989). We lost 2-1 with Wright and Bright both scoring, Curbishley scored ours. It was the Kelvin Morton 5 penalties match.

I don't think the rivalry seemed as intense those days as it is now strangely, I quite happily got the train up wearing colours and wondered around amongst their fans without a word said. It didn't seem intimidating in the slightest.

My next game up there was a 5-0 loss which was about as inept as our loss against Luton last night, although I did manage to get through the police cordon to get back to the car which meant a quick getaway.

The last match up theirs was the McShane game which was brilliant (and unexpected). Really great atmosphere in the away end.

I think Saturdays game will be the first home match against Palace I've missed since I've been going to games, I think my favourite was the 3-1 when Andone scored that amazing solo goal.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Saw my first Palace match at the Goldstone on 12th January 1963, a 1-2 defeat 😩
I was 10 years old and didn't have a clue where Crystal Palace hailed from.
Next game against them was August 1974, when Palace brought a decent following and there was a fair bit of trouble.
Favourite match against them is the 3-0 win on Boxing Day 1979, when Peter Ward ran rings around Jim Cannon.
Favourite match at Selhurst is the 1-0 win in 1975, when Barry Butiin scored very early.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
1978 - away at Selhurst Park, about 45 minutes before KO. Big mob of Albion fans assembling on the higher level of terracing in the White Horse Road end when from one of the corners a gang of 20-25 skinheads come trooping across the lower terrace...bleached jeans, flight jackets and DMs, but no scarves. There were no skinheads in Brighton at the time and so en-masse about 200 Albion come pouring down the terrace kicking and punching as the skinheads fled onto the pitch, one of them going head-over-heels with his big cherry red DMs up in the air (for younger readers I should explain that there was virtually no attempt at segregation in those days, and so this type of scenario was a regular occurence. You had to keep your eyes and ears open to who you might be standing next to).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
palace 1.PNG
palace 2.PNG

Before 'trouble'. I was standing very close to the Palarse contingent on the NE terrace.

A couple of years later, my brother and I were caught by a mob of the divs throwing stones at us on the Croydon back streets, after a police stewarding debacle. And the stage was set....

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Late 70's boxing day , after the match , on the way back to Hove station , a Palace fan being held in a front garden by a lone Police officer with his truncheon drawn waiting for back up while being surrounded by a mob of home fans is my earliest memory of the rivalry .

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Don't remember loads.

All I know is that I want us to win the game so much I feel a bit sick in the days and hours leading up to it.

McShane, Andone stand out on the up side.

The play off defeat stands as one of the grimmest moments of my football supporting life

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Watching Palace celebrate like that in our home, with us having badly let ourselves down on the pitch and them spearheaded by a player who should have still have been ours, was truly horrific I never want to feel like that again

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My first Brighton v Palace game, 1975, a 1-0 away win at Selhurst Park. I went with my Dad, a Palace fan, and we sat with the Palace fans. Don't remember there being much of an atmosphere, but it was before the rivalry got properly going as this was pre-Mullery.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hearing poor Gerry's leg snap

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here