[Music] Your greatest Rock and Roll vocal ever.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Indeed. Unless you were a fan of this:

Saw them at The Nashville. Another sad RIP.

Great stuff. Polly's daughter's documentary about her is quite moving. Her importance as a role model for a lot of British women in music seems to have been much under-appreciated.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
You say you “hate categorisation”, then use a category to describe where The Stooges came from :lolol: This is a good example of a point I made earlier.

And when growing up I think it is a good thing that people only ' liked certain bands due to fashion and lifestyle.' Finding a tribe, finding self-identity, self-expression is a good thing and a rite of passage. If no one did this everyone would be dressing like they're middle-aged all their life.

Genres and labels are good.

What I’m more pleased about with the youngsters of today is they don’t seem limited to an identify which I think is more healthy. Agree though identify is important when growing up. Maybe I was too subtle in my reference to Punk, it was a joke aimed at myself.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Indeed. I recall an era when you couldn't like this if you liked that, and you were defined by your youth tribe. I have no idea if there is anything like this for 'the kids of today', or whether it is acceptable to be friends with a 'goth' if you are into 'r n b'. And I don't care either, obviously.

My interest is in relation to musical history, not pidgeonholing, and especially not pidgeonholing in relation to current music.

Iggy is an interesting case in point, though. I never got to see him until around 2014 (ATP in Iceland!). I was really surprised that his entire set was from the two Bowie albums plus a few Stooges tracks. Checking his CV, he has done next to nothing of note since the late 70s so that would explain it. I love all that stuff but, to me, as you can guess, Iggy fits into that US garage band plus MC5 etc genre, if I were to pidgeonhole, and not punk. Back when places like the Basement club and small venues in Brighton, and the places I went in London (Marquee, Nashville, Vortex, Music Machine, Rainbow, 100 club, Roxy, Roundhouse) played records for the punk audience, it was mostly reggae, with whatever punk singles were around, motorhead and....perhaps some stooges but it wasn't standout. Me and my pals didn't listen to the Stooges, to be honest, but we did like the two Iggy/Bowie albums. Some weird sin still raises the hair on the back of my neck. I bought Raw Power but barely played it. The American accent wasn't the done thing in yer actual punk. So from a historical music genealongy perspective, English punk started with New Rose. And as you probably know, The Captain and pals are general musos, into all things that would have had a sectarian punk in 1976 screaming for a music policeman if they knew :lolol: :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kom0OPpy5VQ

All genres are influenced by others which is why I can’t get hung up over labels, it all has the same DNA. Categorisation is a form of uniformity made by people other than the artists which in itself is weird. Definitely worse since the rise of digital media. My theory is they would have all been trainspotters in previous generations but probably now all work in IT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports