Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your first away game watching The Albion

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Back on topic, Manchester City away tomorrow brings back happy memories for me.
It was my first away game and I went along with my late Uncle Bob, a massive Albion fan, who had himself re located to Manchester for work, just as my father had done, shifting us up north (Wigan) also for work in 1982. I had found the move a little stressful and hated the north, so much at the time, I later had so much fun when I left school, moving into a student house in Rusholme in 86 until I moved to London in 91. Manchester was so much fun, the student clubs and gigs, the whole music scene was just sublime, some of my friends who I shared a house with still live in and around Manchester, it was a proper Psychobilly student house all of us southerners and we would take it in turns when our team was playing in the north to watch one of our teams together. So Manchester will always have a special place in my heart, I have gone off on a tangent sorry.

First Away game 23rd February 1984
Manchester City 2 Brighton & Hove Albion 0
attendance 20,227

I still have the programme.

from what I recall City played with us, and could have had more than just the two, we did wake up somewhat late on and I think Danny Wilson became my favourite player at the time because of how he played. It was somewhat a bit of disappointment to be honest, but as I have said previously, I later went on to watch a lot of Brighton games away in the north from 86 onwards and to be honest a defeat away was a regular occurrence around that time, with some particularly shocking results as well, which made me wonder why.

Anyway, there must be some cracking first away games stories, prey tell.

brighton-home-1984-to-85-prog.jpg

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Pompey . We lost 1-0. Shaun Murray , iirc

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Very much late to the party here but Fulham away i reckon 7/8 years ago in the Championship. Lovely sunny bank holiday Monday and I think we came back from a goal down to win 1-2 (Dunk header?)

Absolute scenes as the neutral part was rammed with Albion aswell as the away end

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Southend v Brighton September 1987. Lost 2-1. Went on the Costa Coach with a mate from school.

Even though we lost I got the away game bug massively. Also that season did (from memory) Gillingham, Brentford (the one where Brighton smashed up one of the pubs, not the one where Nelson scored a blinder), Aldershot and Chester. All of them were completely insane off the pitch, more so because we didn't use the coach again after Southend.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not just my first away game, but my first ever game.

20th January 1990 - we lost 2.1 away to Port Vale. Codner scored for us in the end we were standing. In my seven year old head and now hazy memory, it was a bullet into the top corner but they may or may not be true, don’t know if anyone else can help with that?!

Certain things I can remember so well. I’m sure it was probably dreadul but the pitch looked beautiful to me when I walked onto the terrace. My dad brought a little metal stool for me to sit on in case I got tired - can you imagine being allowed to bring that in today?! I had a little snoopy lunch box with sandwich in and it was absolutely bloody freezing!

I’m sure the football was awful but that day started my love affair with football and the Albion so a special day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Very much late to the party here but Fulham away i reckon 7/8 years ago in the Championship. Lovely sunny bank holiday Monday and I think we came back from a goal down to win 1-2 (Dunk header?)

Absolute scenes as the neutral part was rammed with Albion aswell as the away end
This one? Jan 2017.

I ask because we won 2-1 in the sun the season before but it wasn't Dunk who got the winner. It was dark by the time Dunky netted for this one.

There was a tremendous video of the whole away end going bananas after the goal but I couldn't find it with a search.

el punal

Just to correct you - if you’d been on the sauce! It was 2nd January 2017 so definitely not a lovely sunny bank holiday, that was the season before. Otherwise you’re absolutely spot on, great away day. :thumbsup: :drink:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Early/Mid 70s. Brentford or Charlton away. Either a pre season friendly or 1st round of League cup. Think we lost.

Lent on bright newly painted red crash barrier. It was still wet. Jacket ruined.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
QPR 26/12/1966 lost 3.0

The return match on 27th was 2.2 and I believe John Templeman made his debut.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
This one? Jan 2017.

I ask because we won 2-1 in the sun the season before but it wasn't Dunk who got the winner. It was dark by the time Dunky netted for this one.

There was a tremendous video of the whole away end going bananas after the goal but I couldn't find it with a search.

Thats the one !

Great seeing some of that squad again thanks for posting it. I was on the back row and ended up about 3 in front when Dunky scored

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thats the one !

Great seeing some of that squad again thanks for posting it. I was on the back row and ended up about 3 in front when Dunky scored
HA! We were on the back row too and on the end of a block. My 11 year old son and his mate charged down the aisle stairs when we scored, much to the displeasure of the steward who'd blocked their view of the left side of the pitch for most of the game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My first 'non-home' match, was the 1983 FAC semi-final at Highbury. Not sure if that counts as an 'away game' or not...

If not, I think it was a 1-0 win at Charlton on NYD 1985.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here