Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Your Favourite Town Or Village In Sussex

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Glynde and kindly go up Mount Caburn for the photos. Thanks in advance.

Okay. Not sure I fancy the steep walk so I'll access the peak from the Glynde Manor side.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In response to the OP's question I have always liked STEYNING.

He and [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] may well remember a post cricket drinking sesh in The Star where I was too drunk to remember the joke I was telling which, of course, became the joke. We had a few of those.

Latterly a mate has just moved there to one of the cottages near the cricket and athletic clubs. The view from the back of his is absolutely stunning and is best appreciated with some quality food and booze from Sussex Produce. Best of all he's a single dad and his daughter is best mates with mine so he'll become our "bubble" from Monday.

I do like a good walk on the Bostal as well.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Favourite town: Brighton - nowhere else in UK I'd ever want to live by choice

Favourite village: Firle - only ever went there once, under the saddest of circumstances, but it really is a special place on very many levels

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Polegate - just because of happy memories of living there as a kid.

Went to a friend's daughter's wedding near Lewes a few years back, ad before heading home the next morning I nipped over to Polegate to have a look round. Not only have they pulled my old school down, they've pulled my old house down as well!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

He and [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] may well remember a post cricket drinking sesh in The Star where I was too drunk to remember the joke I was telling which, of course, became the joke. We had a few of those.

Latterly a mate has just moved there to one of the cottages near the cricket and athletic clubs. The view from the back of his is absolutely stunning and is best appreciated with some quality food and booze from Sussex Produce. Best of all he's a single dad and his daughter is best mates with mine so he'll become our "bubble" from Monday.

Not a run up it then?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

During a match there in 1991, our captain had decided to open the bowling with himself against pretty average opposition. All this went on for too long, as sometimes it did, and it was late before I came on. I was fuming (my kind of fuming, which as you know is an Eeyore type face and internalised rage).

Twenty five minutes later it was over. I ran straight through the opposition with a thunder face that had them backing off before I'd even started the run up. Three overs, six wickets for five runs.

I was asked after how I'd managed to force their demise so easily. I simply responded 'It was twenty to seven and I wanted to get to the ****ing pub..'

The Star always had that luring affect on me.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Favourite town: Brighton - nowhere else in UK I'd ever want to live by choice

Favourite village: Firle - only ever went there once, under the saddest of circumstances, but it really is a special place on very many levels

Firle village is really nice, last summer I went for a walk around the village and surrounding countryside, I had been to Firle Place before for an event but not taken much notice of the village.
There is a tea garden on the outskirts of the village called Beanstalk, someone has a large tent in their cottage garden selling tea and cakes, well worth a visit when things get back to normal.

I would rather spend my spare time at places like this than any shopping centre.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Burwash, before the DFLs arrived and rendered the High Street a ghost town - oh shit, I keep forgetting, it's in Kent
Burwash, archaically known as Burghersh, is a rural village and civil parish in the Rother district of East Sussex,

(Wikepedia)

Nice place though :)

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Yes! Those lockins. How on earth Gerry Ryan got away with them I don't know considering how quiet and residential it is round there. The place was rammed on a Friday night with college kids! Great times.
Anyway back to the thread. Such a quintessentially English village high street, shame it's pretty busy these days traffic wise but a beautiful village.

Love Alfriston personally. Lovely place. Arundel too with its amazing setting viewed from afar, and the castle and cathedral are stunning.

Sussex is certainly blessed with beautiful villages and small towns

Lindfield traffic and pedestrians have been much less since the lockdown. It is really nice to walk around for our daily exercise. A glimpse of a quieter past that may never return.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Burwash, archaically known as Burghersh, is a rural village and civil parish in the Rother district of East Sussex,

(Wikepedia)

Nice place though :)

Burwash being in Kent is some sort of in joke I believe, not sure how it started but a poster called The Birdman ( not seen him on here for ages ) seemed to mention the Burwash in Kent 'joke' every day.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Did you know Manor Road garage was just the front.
The only part listed was the fascia. (sp)

Behind was a massive warehouse/depot.

That all got left as the old girl hung on in there.
Then the will and probate went on for a bazillion years.

When they finally got in it was full of old cars, all the assorted paraphernalia and a fookin great big steam traction engine (it might even have been a steam train)!!!

There were several traction engines and quite a few cars . . . . it was once upon a time a ROlls Royce dealership. I spoke to the son, who lived in Steyning a few doors from my parents old house. He let me in to measure and I took a load of photo's, and we seriously considered buying it to convert into a house/workshop for my business, I even went as far as drawing up plans. . . . he wanted £350k for it . . . . we'd have been living in a caravan for a year or more and after watching a few nightmares on TV we decided against it . . . what killed it for me really was location. In addition, it would be easier to start from scratch. Manor road plan.JPGmrg 2feb08 018.jpgmrg 2feb08 047.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Strange noones mentioned Lancing Southwick or Fishersgate yet

Fuse lit, steps back . . .

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I can tell you that - it's because the Marquess of Abergavenny is also the Earl of Lewes. The family name is Nevill (hence Nevill Estate in Lewes). Even more confusingly, the family seat is in Eridge, Kent.

You could also ask why Arundel is the family seat of the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk or Goodwood is the family seat of the Duke of Richmond.

As to the original question, I'd have to plump for Amberley - not only is it a beautiful village but several of my English ancestors came from there, so it's like a spiritual home.

Eridge is very much in Sussex even though postal address for Eridge Park is Kent. Kent border is on the edge of T Wells.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
The Firehills at Fairlight.
Wonderful place for a stroll and great views.
Lots of memories :)

a176fa151991356592619ed76327664b.jpg

Was up there recently, some fantastic views and walks.

Once walk is complete we tend to use the Royal Oak or Two Sawyers at Pett for pint and lunch (prior to covid19).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here